• Which the release of FS2020 we see an explosition of activity on the forun and of course we are very happy to see this. But having all questions about FS2020 in one forum becomes a bit messy. So therefore we would like to ask you all to use the following guidelines when posting your questions:

• Tag FS2020 specific questions with the MSFS2020 tag.
    • Questions about making 3D assets can be posted in the 3D asset design forum. Either post them in the subforum of the modelling tool you use or in the general forum if they are general.
    • Questions about aircraft design can be posted in the Aircraft design forum
    • Questions about airport design can be posted in the FS2020 airport design forum. Once airport development tools have been updated for FS2020 you can post tool speciifc questions in the subforums of those tools as well of course.
    • Questions about terrain design can be posted in the FS2020 terrain design forum.
    • Questions about SimConnect can be posted in the SimConnect forum.

Any other question that is not specific to an aspect of development or tool can be posted in the General chat forum.

By following these guidelines we make sure that the forums remain easy to read for everybody and also that the right people can find your post to answer it.

KEY_AILERON_TRIM_SET

DragonflightDesign

Resource contributor
Country
northernireland
All the SDKs state an input value of 0-16383 but this can't be right for two reasons:

1. Base on other _SET inputs, that's trim down only. No negative for trim up
2. Any attempt to enter a figure over 100 is ignored.

So... it appears that the actual input is probably percent, but it would be nice if someone could confirm this?

DragonflightDesign

Resource contributor
Country
northernireland
It's in the FSX gauges.h Ed, but you're right - it's not in the FSX SDK.
Code:
#define KEY_AILERON_TRIM_SET                (KEY_ID_MIN + 1195)
P3D states:-

KEY_AILERON_TRIM_SET AILERON_TRIM_SET Sets aileron trim position (0 to 16383) Shared Cockpit

Country
us-ohio
Since it's not an axis input... then I'm uncertain what the value represents... but if it's 0 to 16383... than 8191 is the zero-point?

rcbarend

Resource contributor
Country
netherlands
Hi,
I'm using this 'axis' in a few of my VTOL control implementations, as a 'proxy' to control nacelles/nozzles.

It's not a real Axis, but a var with 201 discrete states, which is commanded as follows:

xxx (>K:AILERON_TRIM_SET)

where xxx = -100, -99, .....-1, 0, 1, 2, upto 100

(resulting in a value for (A:AILERON TRIM PCT,percent) -100 upto 100.)

The incr/decr events (AILERON_TRIM_LEFT and AILERON_TRIM_RIGHT) changes the value with -1 resp +1 % with each event, between -100 and 100.
So 0 (>K:AILERON_TRIM_SET) centers the trim.

The SET event is not documented in the FSX SDK, but works this way for every sim version between FSX-(SP2) upto/including P3Dv5.

Cheers, Rob

Last edited:
Country
france
xxx (>K:AILERON_TRIM_SET)

where xxx = -100, -99, .....-1, 0, 1, 2, upto 100

(resulting in a value for (A:AILERON TRIM PCT,percent) -100 upto 100.)
Do you know if the ELEVATOR_TRIM_SET works the same ? (also described "position (0 to 16383)" )
Thanks

Gérard

rcbarend

Resource contributor
Country
netherlands
Do you know if the ELEVATOR_TRIM_SET works the same ? (also described "position (0 to 16383)" )
Thanks

Gérard
No.
ELEVATOR_TRIM_SET works as one would expect, so with a value range from -16383 to +16383.
Which is stated correctly in the FSX SDK; if your quote is from the P3D SDK, the P3D SDK is wrong in this case too , IMO.

Note that, unlike for AILERON_TRIM, the Up/Down ELEVATOR_TRIM events are accelerated; meaning that increase/decrease of the trim setting depends on the interval between repeating Up/Down events.

Rob

Last edited:
Country
france
Yes, direct quote from the learning center.
But AXIS_ELEVATOR_TRIM_SET is -16383 to +16383... Very confusing :(

The accelerated thing is completly new for me and very interesting.

Thanks.

DragonflightDesign

Resource contributor
Country
northernireland
Just to finish up the trio Rob; can you confirm that RUDDER_TRIM is discrete intervals the same as AILERON_TRIM? FSX SDK says

RUDDER_TRIM_LEFT 'increments rudder trim left'
RUDDER_TRIM_RIGHT 'increments aileron trim right'

(!!!! - looks like a copy/paste victim again! :rotfl:)

rcbarend

Resource contributor
Country
netherlands
Just to finish up the trio Rob; can you confirm that RUDDER_TRIM is discrete intervals the same as AILERON_TRIM? FSX SDK says

RUDDER_TRIM_LEFT 'increments rudder trim left'
RUDDER_TRIM_RIGHT 'increments aileron trim right'

(!!!! - looks like a copy/paste victim again! :rotfl:)
Just tested this, since I never used it. ...;)
And like AileronTrim, the event RUDDER_TRIM_SET is NOT mentioned in the FSX SDK, and described with the wrong value range in the P3D SDK.

Conclusion: RUDDER_TRIM works exactly like AILERON_TRIM.

So (>K:RUDDER_TRIM_SET) takes a value between -100 and + 100 (0 = centered).
And the RUDDER_TRIM_LEFT/RIGHT events changes the trim with 1% for each event (so not accelerated).

Rob

DragonflightDesign

Resource contributor
Country
northernireland
Many thanks Rob. I thought you might have known off the top of your head as I really hadn't wanted to put you to any work.

rcbarend

Resource contributor
Country
netherlands
Many thanks Rob. I thought you might have known off the top of your head as I really hadn't wanted to put you to any work.
No problem.
In fact, I'm glad you asked, because I was't aware of the RUDDER_TRIM_SET event and how it works ...
After testing it, made me realise I now I have another "axis" I can use as Proxy for some other function .....🙄

Cheers, Rob