• Which the release of FS2020 we see an explosition of activity on the forun and of course we are very happy to see this. But having all questions about FS2020 in one forum becomes a bit messy. So therefore we would like to ask you all to use the following guidelines when posting your questions:

• Tag FS2020 specific questions with the MSFS2020 tag.
    • Questions about making 3D assets can be posted in the 3D asset design forum. Either post them in the subforum of the modelling tool you use or in the general forum if they are general.
    • Questions about aircraft design can be posted in the Aircraft design forum
    • Questions about airport design can be posted in the FS2020 airport design forum. Once airport development tools have been updated for FS2020 you can post tool speciifc questions in the subforums of those tools as well of course.
    • Questions about terrain design can be posted in the FS2020 terrain design forum.
    • Questions about SimConnect can be posted in the SimConnect forum.

Any other question that is not specific to an aspect of development or tool can be posted in the General chat forum.

By following these guidelines we make sure that the forums remain easy to read for everybody and also that the right people can find your post to answer it.

MSFS Knowledge / tools needed to get started?

Country
unitedstates
Found this thread, I'll look into the details mentioned so far ... I'd like to learn to create a simple ground vehicle (for MSFS) .. just something very simple to learn about it. Later I'd like it to interact with aircraft (illusions of grandeur)
Is this must be must simplier than creating an aircraft or is the foundation / beginning much the same? Thanks for pointers and advice.

SO I THINK from this There are at least 5 separate skills you need to learn, each are challenging:
* 3D modelling in Blender
* behaviours programming the controls and animations (model XML)
// i can skip this for now ? // * defining the flight model (flight_model.cfg)
// i can skip this for now ? // * writing the code for the gauges (HTML/JS or can be entirely model XML)
// i can skip this for now ? // * creating/configuring the sounds

Last edited:
Country
unitedkingdom
@ZenMusic you're already in good shape because you understand getting something 'working' inside the sim is a combination of pieces, where the rookie error is to imagine it's 99% polishing a 3D model. If you START with an example from the SDK (like SimpleAircraft), you'll find yourself already close to your objective of having something 'simple' to drive around in the sim. Counter-intuitively, that SimpleAircraft example doesn't actually involve creating the 3D model, you simply use an existing model of a plane. But you'll find you can then replace the 3D model with whatever totally basic thing you first make in Blender (like a cube) and your sim 'package' still works. So the Blender part is definitely an art requiring patience as your skills develop, but you can be fairly confident that model will gradually improve and essentially you have your parts 1 & 2 AND they're component parts of a complete MSFS package so you can broaden your skills to get other parts working (like the cockpit or the interior of your car).