• Which the release of FS2020 we see an explosition of activity on the forun and of course we are very happy to see this. But having all questions about FS2020 in one forum becomes a bit messy. So therefore we would like to ask you all to use the following guidelines when posting your questions:

    • Tag FS2020 specific questions with the MSFS2020 tag.
    • Questions about making 3D assets can be posted in the 3D asset design forum. Either post them in the subforum of the modelling tool you use or in the general forum if they are general.
    • Questions about aircraft design can be posted in the Aircraft design forum
    • Questions about airport design can be posted in the FS2020 airport design forum. Once airport development tools have been updated for FS2020 you can post tool speciifc questions in the subforums of those tools as well of course.
    • Questions about terrain design can be posted in the FS2020 terrain design forum.
    • Questions about SimConnect can be posted in the SimConnect forum.

    Any other question that is not specific to an aspect of development or tool can be posted in the General chat forum.

    By following these guidelines we make sure that the forums remain easy to read for everybody and also that the right people can find your post to answer it.

MSFS20 L39 Red Thunder cockpit (interior.xml)

Messages
533
Country
france
I purchased the Asobo L39 Red Thunder from the Reno Air Race package.
I like flying it, but the cockpit is not as good as expected, full of bugs: engine start, flaps indicator, annunciator panel, ... As I have some developer skills, I tried to fix some of them by creating a modified version of the L39_Interior.xml file. I could fix the engine start issue, that was successful.
For the flap indicator composed of 3 lights for the 3 flap positions, I found the section that describes it:

                <Component ID="Flaps_Lights">
                    <Parameter Type="Override">
                        <VALUE_RANGE>3</VALUE_RANGE>
                    </Parameter>
                    <UseTemplate Name="ASOBO_HANDLING_Light_Flaps_Template">
                        <NODE_ID>light_flaps_up_front</NODE_ID>
                        <TARGET_ANGLE_DEGREE>0</TARGET_ANGLE_DEGREE>
                    </UseTemplate>
                    <UseTemplate Name="ASOBO_HANDLING_Light_Flaps_Template">
                        <NODE_ID>light_flaps_mid_front</NODE_ID>
                        <TARGET_ANGLE_DEGREE>25</TARGET_ANGLE_DEGREE>
                    </UseTemplate>
                    <UseTemplate Name="ASOBO_HANDLING_Light_Flaps_Template">
                        <NODE_ID>light_flaps_down_front</NODE_ID>
                        <TARGET_ANGLE_DEGREE>44</TARGET_ANGLE_DEGREE>
                    </UseTemplate>
                </Component>

It is easy to understand. I debugged it using the behavior debugger (in developer mode), and the EMISSIVE_CODE for the 3rd light that fails was something like:
(A:TRAILING EDGE FLAPS LEFT ANGLE, degrees) 50 - abs 0.1 <
Which means it should light up when the flaps position is around 50°. The problem is that the maximum flap angle is 44, so it doesn't work. Why 50 instead of 44 like in interior.xml?
I tried to modify the interior xml file and it appeared that every modification is just IGNORED. Even if I fully remove te section shown above, the flap lights keep working, as if this section was imported from another file, maybe one of the encrypted fsarchive file for this aircraft.
Can someone explain me how Asobo can provide an XML file that is readable and editable, but parts of it cannot be modified. I would understand they don't want us to modify this file, then why didn't they hide it in an encrypted file like they did for aircraft.cfg, flight_model.cfg or gltf file? How can I successfully update some parts but not some others?
That remains a mystery for me, and I am frustrated I cannot my knowledge to fix issues in this cockpit I paid for.

Any feedback is greatly welcome.
 
Back
Top