• Which the release of FS2020 we see an explosition of activity on the forun and of course we are very happy to see this. But having all questions about FS2020 in one forum becomes a bit messy. So therefore we would like to ask you all to use the following guidelines when posting your questions:

    • Tag FS2020 specific questions with the MSFS2020 tag.
    • Questions about making 3D assets can be posted in the 3D asset design forum. Either post them in the subforum of the modelling tool you use or in the general forum if they are general.
    • Questions about aircraft design can be posted in the Aircraft design forum
    • Questions about airport design can be posted in the FS2020 airport design forum. Once airport development tools have been updated for FS2020 you can post tool speciifc questions in the subforums of those tools as well of course.
    • Questions about terrain design can be posted in the FS2020 terrain design forum.
    • Questions about SimConnect can be posted in the SimConnect forum.

    Any other question that is not specific to an aspect of development or tool can be posted in the General chat forum.

    By following these guidelines we make sure that the forums remain easy to read for everybody and also that the right people can find your post to answer it.

FSXA Longyear, Svalbard (ENSB) Finished

Messages
315
Country
us-virginia
Svalbard, Longyear (ENSB) is finally finished (3 weeks late) and I’ve posted it at FlightSim.com (if you search on "ENSB" you should find it); will also post it to Avisim once I figure out how to work their posting system. IMHO it turned out OK. :cool:

I still have much to learn regarding getting textures—even photo-based textures—to look “more real.” Arno’s video tutorial on texture formats was very helpful. The biggest challenge in this project was the ramp lighting effects—I learned way too much about how NOT to do lighting effects before I learned the right way—the scenery design forum has many threads on the issue.

Surprisingly, the runway markings (Norwegian runway markings are yellow—to see them better in the snow?) proved to be one of the easiest after I read through and adapted Bill Womack’s article “Creating High-Detail FS Ground Polygons” (OK, it was easy after I read through it for the seventh time). :D

Finally, for anyone trying to understand why their alpha-layer transparent textures are not working properly, Arno’s article in the Wiki “Drawing order problems with transparent textures” is required reading—you may not fix your problem but you will soon realize it has something to do with the drawing order. ;)

Anyway, here are a few screen shots:
 

Attachments

  • ENSB_1.jpg
    ENSB_1.jpg
    79.6 KB · Views: 1,103
  • ENSB_12.jpg
    ENSB_12.jpg
    83.6 KB · Views: 4,326
  • ENSB_16.jpg
    ENSB_16.jpg
    77 KB · Views: 1,056
  • ENSB_10.jpg
    ENSB_10.jpg
    80.8 KB · Views: 974
  • ENSB_15.jpg
    ENSB_15.jpg
    84 KB · Views: 908
Oh my! I've got two new airport sceneries to look at this weekend, in addition to working on my own... :)

Looks terrific!
 
I didn't need your screenshots, Will, but I hope other people will see them. I had already downloaded and installed your Longyear release. (I'm including an additional close-up screenshot of Longyear taken at noon on a February "day").

I must say that for a first public release of an airport for FSX, your Longyear release is absolutely wonderful! (I would also rate it "absolutely wonderful" if it had been your tenth release). Thank you very much for all of your successful efforts. Thanks, too, for the information you provided in the README file about Longyear and Svalbard and about the scenery. It was the README file that told me 737s can land at Longyear. Since I use only DX10-compliant aircraft, I pretty much had no choice but to use my Viking livery for a user commercial aircraft.

I use Traffic X, too, and I'll have to take a look at what is already scheduled for Longyear. Right now, I'm in the process of setting up Heli Traffic 2009 helicopter flights between Longyear and Broggerhalvoya (as a result of your mentioning that airplanes and helicopters - rather than land vehicles - are the means of transportation used in Svalbard).

You should be proud of your work! Thanks, again!

Dan

4388205050_b933af7ebc_o.jpg


UPDATE:

A couple of hours after the posting of the above screenshot, I found on FlightSim.Com that a freeware Norwegian livery had just been released for the FSX default 737. Coincidence? Since there is a close temporal relationship between the release of Longyear and the release of the Norwegian livery, we may be experiencing cause and effect. Of course there will always be a few who say it is not coincidence or "cause and effect," but conspiracy! :) Whatever it is, I like it!
 
Last edited:
I LOVE it! I downloaded it as soon as I saw it up, yesterday...

I've always wanted to visit Svalbard :p
 
All - Thanks for the comments - glad you are enjoying it. It is now also posted on Avisim.

Regarding DanM's coincidence/conspiricy theory . . . my wife is also Norwegian . . . hmmmmmmmm. ;)
 
After setting the autopilot on the global express for a few (hahaha) hours, I finally reached ENSB this morning. Flew from Rockingham, NC of all places. Now shall I make the return trip, or just move in among the locals? Perhaps a little cold for my tastes :p

Scenery gets 11 out of 10.
 
Flew from Rockingham, NC of all places...Scenery gets 11 out of 10.

Hey, Jon, I live in Winston-Salem, NC of all places. I've taken a look at screeshots of your upcoming North Carolina airports, and they look great. (Can't wait to see Smith-Reynolds).

Your "11 out of 10" rating of Longyear should make Will proud.

Dan
 
Last edited:
Hey, Jon, I live in Winston-Salem, NC of all places. I've taken a look at screeshots of your upcoming North Carolina airports, and they look great. (Can't wait to see Smith-Reynolds).

Your "11 out of 10" rating of Longyear should make Will proud.

Dan

YOU LIVE IN WINSTON-SALEM?! I was born there! I live in Louisburg, NC, just north of Raleigh. It's good to see some "North Kakalakeans" (as Felix would call us:D) on FSD. You should check out some of my sceneries to, by following the link in my signature :D
 
Smith-Reynolds is one of two airports I'm working on (in addition to the one in Salisbury). Once these two are done, the entire set will be complete and it will (finally) be release time.

INT is proving to be monotonous with all of the buildings lining the street that I'm putting in, plus some of the industries behind the T-hangar area. Once I get all that done, and some other little nitpick details, it should be finished!

*I'm from Winston-Salem too... I think pretty much everybody on these forums thats from North Carolina was born there. I actually used to live in King.
 
Thanks for the feedback

Thanks for the compliments and feedback. Sorry I didn't reply sooner but as you can see from my location, we were a bit distracted yesterday bracing for a Tsunami :yikes: that was fortunately not significant.

I'm glad to see others enjoying the scenery. I've been "flying" in and around ENSB--and only ENSB--for a couple of months now while working on the project - so I'm ready for a change of scenery (no pun intended :D)--NC sounds like just the spot to do some "VFR relaxation" while I contemplate my next project.

Aloha!

PS I just checked out both Borderline and FSCarolina sites - that's some great work!
 
Last edited:
Back
Top