• Which the release of FS2020 we see an explosition of activity on the forun and of course we are very happy to see this. But having all questions about FS2020 in one forum becomes a bit messy. So therefore we would like to ask you all to use the following guidelines when posting your questions:

    • Tag FS2020 specific questions with the MSFS2020 tag.
    • Questions about making 3D assets can be posted in the 3D asset design forum. Either post them in the subforum of the modelling tool you use or in the general forum if they are general.
    • Questions about aircraft design can be posted in the Aircraft design forum
    • Questions about airport design can be posted in the FS2020 airport design forum. Once airport development tools have been updated for FS2020 you can post tool speciifc questions in the subforums of those tools as well of course.
    • Questions about terrain design can be posted in the FS2020 terrain design forum.
    • Questions about SimConnect can be posted in the SimConnect forum.

    Any other question that is not specific to an aspect of development or tool can be posted in the General chat forum.

    By following these guidelines we make sure that the forums remain easy to read for everybody and also that the right people can find your post to answer it.

FSXA Mapping mystery - Busted :)

Messages
189
Country
hungary
Hello

I never noticed this error before : the texture "slides" left in FS. On the left there's a screenshot from FS, on the right it is a render in 3D MAX. As you can see the mappig is OK within MAX , but not in FS. The 3 green and 3 red circles are the lights for gear up and down positions, they are separate parts. I'm over on "reset scale" and "reset X-form" attempts :) Any idea?

futó.jpg
 
Move the texture to the right to have it properly line up in FS?
 
Are you sure it's the texture moving in FS and not the green light objects?
 
Move the texture to the right to have it properly line up in FS?

I've made a few mappings in my life, I never had this problem. In other words it is my brand new problem :D

Are you sure it's the texture moving in FS and not the green light objects?

Yes I'm sure. The red and green objects aren't move, they have only a visibility tag attached. Green = gear down, red = gear up.
If you look closely the body of the textured gau on the FS screenshot, you can see the edge of the texture.
 
Are the mappings rendered to texture from Max or are you mapping geometry to an existing graphic via the UVW editor? Something's going adrift anyway.
 
They are mapped from existing graphics, more precisely they are photos which I found on the web.
 
It certainly looks like the error is the green dots. Notice the edge on the left of each green dot. The green appears not centered.
 
You say that the green lights are separate parts?
How far out from the main panel are they?

The rendering from MAX is straight on so they look aligned, but the view in FSX is shifted slightly to the left so they look off set.

My two cent.:scratchch
 
The lights are placed in front of the flat area of the gauge body, as close as possible. See 1st shot.
futó3.jpg


At position 1 and 2 you can see the overlappings ( I found out the correct phrase :D ) For example there is a check button for the lights at #2 which has the same texture and the same mapping applied like the main gauge. If you compare it to the MAX render, it has a piece of white line on the right. It should be not there.
futó2.jpg
 
And the same confusion with the clock and all the other gauges also. All are on the same texture BMP in the \Texture folder.
órais.jpg órais2.jpg
 
Update ! The wireframe of the gau body mapped to the gau from a separate 1024px BMP: it isperfect in FS and in MAX also ! :confused:

hoppá.jpg
 
Well, did you accidentially move the texture (layer) in PSPPhotoGIMP.net?
 
It this a 24 bit BMP texture file? Some *other* formats will appear shifted in MAX/GMAX and thus when you line them up in those programs, it appears shifted in FS.
 
Here is my way to the succes. The textures come from my friend, he has more experience with this work. He creates 24-bit bmp's (don't know why), and I convert them to 32-bit.

1) I put the 24-bit bmp's into the \Texture folder
2) mapping these 24bit files (day and night texture) to the gau in Max.
3) export the model as usual, 3ds > X > mdl
4) convert the textures to 32-bit with ImageTool
5) start up FSX, texture mappig is perfect
6) next I changed to MAX, which already updated the "new" 32-bit texture, the mapping slided to the RIGHT
7) put the 24-bit bmp's to the texture folder, but this time I convert them to 32-bit with Xnview. It is a miracle : the mapping is perfect in FSX and in MAX also !

Next time, I will try convert to dds
 
I always use 2 copies of the texture - 24 bit for MAX/GMAX, and 32 bit/DXT/DDS for FS. Avoids all such problems.
 
I use anything but .bmp textures in Max, mostly .png or .psd. In GMax, I work with .tga.
 
I work exclusively with Targa (.tga) files in Max as they are the smallest possible in file size, hence less strain on the system.
 
Back
Top