• Which the release of FS2020 we see an explosition of activity on the forun and of course we are very happy to see this. But having all questions about FS2020 in one forum becomes a bit messy. So therefore we would like to ask you all to use the following guidelines when posting your questions:

    • Tag FS2020 specific questions with the MSFS2020 tag.
    • Questions about making 3D assets can be posted in the 3D asset design forum. Either post them in the subforum of the modelling tool you use or in the general forum if they are general.
    • Questions about aircraft design can be posted in the Aircraft design forum
    • Questions about airport design can be posted in the FS2020 airport design forum. Once airport development tools have been updated for FS2020 you can post tool speciifc questions in the subforums of those tools as well of course.
    • Questions about terrain design can be posted in the FS2020 terrain design forum.
    • Questions about SimConnect can be posted in the SimConnect forum.

    Any other question that is not specific to an aspect of development or tool can be posted in the General chat forum.

    By following these guidelines we make sure that the forums remain easy to read for everybody and also that the right people can find your post to answer it.

More than a 1024er!

Messages
56
Country
unitedkingdom
Hello guys,

So, i know that FS2004 has a limit of 1024x1024px for textures. I have noticed that McPhatStudios has a .dll file to make the bigger textures work. Do you know how?

Regards,

Pere Duran
 
It requires no DLL file.

Simply enlarge the Paintkit to 2048x2048.
The then newly created Bitmaps with DXTBmp convert to DXT or 32bit etc. It works in FS2004 without any problems.
FSDS can not represent the 2048er textures. In Gmax I do not know.
 
I beg to disagree. I will only "work" if you save MIPs as well. What in fact happens is that FS9 will use the 1024 MIP if it encounters a 2048 texture ... which makes nonsense of the whole exercise, unless you are designing for FSX as well.
 
Hello guys,

So, i know that FS2004 has a limit of 1024x1024px for textures. I have noticed that McPhatStudios has a .dll file to make the bigger textures work. Do you know how?

Regards,

Pere Duran


This would really make my year if this is true. Can you find out anything more? have you tested this? We need to track this down and find out if its true or not.



Bill
 
Last edited:
Pere,

This DLL file would probably (if it exists) work 'with' the FS9 platform/game engine directly, telling it to somehow take the doublesized textures, like an over-ride. Perhaps it says the aircraft textures are for scenery, allowing the 2048's to work, or something like that... But that is what it must be doing.

Granted, a 2048 16bit is the same as a 1024 32Bit texture, as we all know.

But, a 2048 in 32bit would be a diamond in FS9... It would be like a 4096 DXT5 from FSX being in FS9, the same....


Do you have an email to McPhat so we can ask him about this? I will email him if you like. Just need an email. I spent 20 min's parusing his site. His site map must have 300 to 400 links to pages in their site. I cant see how they are that huge, but they must be.


I would like to learn more about this. First, I would like to know if its true.


Bill
 
I did some experiments this morning with DXTBmp and 2048 textures.

I was amazed to find that indeed, one can put in a 2048 with Mips, but without, it will not show up.

The 1024 / 32bit 888-8 will show up crisp, while the Mips with leanest settings possible will show up hazy and blurry. Not worth it.

If only we could break this darn limit, we could have some amazing paint schemes in FS9.
 
I wonder if one could 'force' a Mip to not function? Now that might work. You would have Mips in the texture, but they would be locked out. If you could do that, perhaps hot wire the actual texture in its code, perhaps tell the Bitmap that its a certain size 'other' then what it was/is, (lie to it on its label), then also one could possibly slip in a 2048 32bit texture into FS9.
 
I did some experiments this morning with DXTBmp and 2048 textures.

I was amazed to find that indeed, one can put in a 2048 with Mips, but without, it will not show up.

The 1024 / 32bit 888-8 will show up crisp, while the Mips with leanest settings possible will show up hazy and blurry. Not worth it.

If only we could break this darn limit, we could have some amazing paint schemes in FS9.

Why waste time? "mjahn" already provided the definitive answer to the question when he wrote:

...will only "work" if you save MIPs as well. What in fact happens is that FS9 will use the 1024 MIP if it encounters a 2048 texture ... which makes nonsense of the whole exercise, unless you are designing for FSX as well.
 
Hello Bill,

As stated;

But, a 2048 in 32bit would be a diamond in FS9... It would be like a 4096 DXT5 from FSX being in FS9, the same....

Bill/LHC

The 2048 with Mips running is only a 1024. So a 2048 / 32bit is still only a 1024 and looks worse then a 1024 / 32bit.

What I want is to run a 2048 '32bit' or 4096 '16bit' texture in FS9, no Mips, or Mips forced off.

A 2048 32bit with Mips just doesnt work...

Bill
 
Bill, with respect "If wishing were fishing, no one in the world would be hungry." :D

Now you know why I mapped your aircraft across 2 1024x1024 textures for my multi-material tutorial. It provides the identical result as using a single 2048x1024 texture in FSX.

FS9 is what it is, and no amount of wishing will change anything... :(
 
Hello guys,

I haven't taken a look inside it (and not sure if i'm going to be able to). But i see this file suspiciously. It would make sense that it's used to make/force FS2004 to accept higher resolutions. If anyone wants to maybe brainstorm it with me a bit more, email me at pdd1997"at"gmail.com .

EDIT: "NO FILE IS TO BE SEEN, SORRY"
Regards,

Pere Duran
 
Last edited:
Aside from which, why would a "multi-player chat" module affect texture size display? :confused:
 
Well, this sparked hope for me on this subject. Thanks for that anyway. Hope is a great thing.

I remember being told it was impossible to make a FS9 model over 65,000 Polygons. It is now hovering at 1,000,000 plus, and over that is undiscovered, and beats out FSX by 1/2 milllion as the FSX stock compiler (now being re-tooled) can not produce a model bigger then an average of 500,000 Poly's.

It is SO COOL to find ways to shatter the limitations that were placed in FS9. Very very cool. Thanks Pere for trying. May it be soon that we shatter this obstacle and limitation.



Bill
 
Hey,

Damn, i've just noticed the c and p switched places. There is only one logical reason. They've moved places. Nah just kidding. I feel bad though that i did this mistake of not reading it properly, sorry guys.

Regards,

Pere Duran
 
Back
Top