• Which the release of FS2020 we see an explosition of activity on the forun and of course we are very happy to see this. But having all questions about FS2020 in one forum becomes a bit messy. So therefore we would like to ask you all to use the following guidelines when posting your questions:

    • Tag FS2020 specific questions with the MSFS2020 tag.
    • Questions about making 3D assets can be posted in the 3D asset design forum. Either post them in the subforum of the modelling tool you use or in the general forum if they are general.
    • Questions about aircraft design can be posted in the Aircraft design forum
    • Questions about airport design can be posted in the FS2020 airport design forum. Once airport development tools have been updated for FS2020 you can post tool speciifc questions in the subforums of those tools as well of course.
    • Questions about terrain design can be posted in the FS2020 terrain design forum.
    • Questions about SimConnect can be posted in the SimConnect forum.

    Any other question that is not specific to an aspect of development or tool can be posted in the General chat forum.

    By following these guidelines we make sure that the forums remain easy to read for everybody and also that the right people can find your post to answer it.

FSXA Move FSX Ferry Dock?

Messages
90
Country
unitedstates
I use photo-realistic scenery made from a tutorial on FlightSim.com, which places it correctly by GPS coordinates gleaned from satellite imagery servers such as Google Earth and Virtual Earth. One thing learned in this tutorial is that FSX does not always render land mass shapes "accurately", and sometimes things are placed where they should not be. There are ways to deal with properly obscuring incorrectly rendered land by FSX, and the tutorial goes into how to make corrections to airport layout and runways using Airport Design Editor (ADE).

However, I have a problem I don't know how to address. FSX has a Ferry Dock in the Sandusky Bay, Ohio (which does indeed exist in real life), but it is docking the animated ferry boats atop the imagery of a marina, rather than where it should be. How can I move the dock for the ferry so it can be in the correct location? It doesn't show in ADE. I saw the thread discussing how to remove such a ferry dock with exclusions, but I like having the ferry boats active in the scenery. I would just like to have them go where they should, instead of running aground in a marina. :)

Could I use Instant Scenery 2 (IS2) to address this? I have some experience using that program and placing objects. However when I open IS2 near the ferry that is aground here, I do not see any objects placed here. And I can't seem to find a ferry dock in the IS2 available objects.
 
I think you can do it excluiding and replacing again the object. you know something about AIBTC, it is for create ai traffic with ships.
 
Thanks.

I was reading about AIBTC last night. But what I fear is that the ferries that are running now appear to be in a BGL file (no way to edit that) and if I jump into this I many have to totally disable that file and build the ferry traffic for all my areas of interest in FSX from scratch to replace it. And a tutorial I found tells about the long and repeatedly frustrating attempts to get a boat to properly align where a dock is supposed to be.

So I was hoping there was some way I could take the existing ferry route, which knows where it thinks the dock is, and just move the dock over to where it should be, which is not far from the marina it is driving over when it comes in. But I can't seem to find the ferry dock there. I believe it is hiding under my own scenery. But from what I read, the physical location of a dock might not matter. I think the ferry goes to wherever the end point of its route is defined, which is buried within that BGL file. It's looking like having to disable the FSX ferry schedules and rebuild them from scratch might be the only solution. Unless I take the easy way out, and reconfigure my scenery bitmap image so it appears there is a dock where the ship actually goes. ;) That idea did occur to me.

However, last night while I was working on the harbors in this area 2 ferries came in. One docked atop a marina and sat there for a long time. (I never did see it leave). Another finally came in, pulled up beside it, then swung the bow CCW on an angle ramming into the first ferry. So I am not too certain where it actually thinks the dock is. :) It looks like maybe the existing ferry schedule isn't much good anyway. :)
 
Yes. if it were just an object there are tools for exclude them (like FskKml) but in this case there is an ai traffic ship, really complicated, and I had not thought about this issue. how to get rid of this specific route, right now don't know if exist an exclude polygon for this, exist somethig similar for freeway traffic exclusions. And It's no so complicated to dock the ships with Aibtc,
 
Well, it's not really a problem if there is no easy way to change it. I'll set it aside as something I may look into later.

Thanks for the discussion. :)
 
Back
Top