• Which the release of FS2020 we see an explosition of activity on the forun and of course we are very happy to see this. But having all questions about FS2020 in one forum becomes a bit messy. So therefore we would like to ask you all to use the following guidelines when posting your questions:

    • Tag FS2020 specific questions with the MSFS2020 tag.
    • Questions about making 3D assets can be posted in the 3D asset design forum. Either post them in the subforum of the modelling tool you use or in the general forum if they are general.
    • Questions about aircraft design can be posted in the Aircraft design forum
    • Questions about airport design can be posted in the FS2020 airport design forum. Once airport development tools have been updated for FS2020 you can post tool speciifc questions in the subforums of those tools as well of course.
    • Questions about terrain design can be posted in the FS2020 terrain design forum.
    • Questions about SimConnect can be posted in the SimConnect forum.

    Any other question that is not specific to an aspect of development or tool can be posted in the General chat forum.

    By following these guidelines we make sure that the forums remain easy to read for everybody and also that the right people can find your post to answer it.

New ASTER data released

Gaiiden

FSDevConf team
Messages
751
Country
unitedstates
Dunno anything about terrain design so this may not be useful but perhaps this new ASTER data will help people create some more accurate meshes where necessary?

Either way it's cool stuff :)
 
Hi Drew.

I haven't had a chance to review the v2 GDEM data, but any improvement is a good thing. The v1 data is not very useful due to the anomalies.

Dick
 
Hi,

Agree with Dick. I tried the first version, but was not so impressed with that data for the Netherlands. It had too many mistakes. I plan to have a look soon at the new version and see if it is more useful.
 
I did check... this forum before posting. Didn't think it would pop up anywhere else
It's alright; I just thought it would be more relevant as general news. I guess the more coverage the better. :)
 
Both the Japanese site and the NASA site are buggy at the moment... probably due to high download traffic. Both download sites are quirky and difficult to get large amounts of tiles.

The tiles are 1 arc second. 3601x3601, I believe. This makes the tile size 9 times larger than the 3 arc second SRTM files. Coverage is 83 degrees north to 83 degrees south. I think the files will be geotiff.

Dick
 
I finally got some GDEM v2 ASTER data. Lots of spikes, pits, mole runs, voids, etc. They are claiming a better water mask, but I'm not overwhelmed.

Right now, the best overall dataset is the CGIAR. And you can use updates from Viewfinder Panoramas data.

ASTER is not suitable for what we need.

Dick
 
Just one question though...

When one tries to download ASTER GDEM tiles from the NASA site it takes you to a shopping cart. My tiles were not downloadable so I can only "order" them. I am a bit puzzled, isn't it supposed to be free? or is that only for the sake of the shopping cart to order the tiles?

Also, the download page says something that you have to agree to redistribute ONLY to people in your project or organization. Does that means that the GDEM tile is not suitable for distribution in FS scenery?
 
The ASTER tiles are full of voids, pits, moleruns, spikes... They really aren't suitable for a simulator without a LOT of extra work.

As far as distribution, for FSX or FS9, you would be distributing a BGL, not the original tiles... it's the tiles they don't want redistributed, as that might lead to many unauthorized versions floating around on the web. But a BGL is not an ASTER tile, so there is no problem with that, as I see it.

Dick
 
Back
Top