• Which the release of FS2020 we see an explosition of activity on the forun and of course we are very happy to see this. But having all questions about FS2020 in one forum becomes a bit messy. So therefore we would like to ask you all to use the following guidelines when posting your questions:

    • Tag FS2020 specific questions with the MSFS2020 tag.
    • Questions about making 3D assets can be posted in the 3D asset design forum. Either post them in the subforum of the modelling tool you use or in the general forum if they are general.
    • Questions about aircraft design can be posted in the Aircraft design forum
    • Questions about airport design can be posted in the FS2020 airport design forum. Once airport development tools have been updated for FS2020 you can post tool speciifc questions in the subforums of those tools as well of course.
    • Questions about terrain design can be posted in the FS2020 terrain design forum.
    • Questions about SimConnect can be posted in the SimConnect forum.

    Any other question that is not specific to an aspect of development or tool can be posted in the General chat forum.

    By following these guidelines we make sure that the forums remain easy to read for everybody and also that the right people can find your post to answer it.

New to texturing - got a little problem

Messages
2
Country
us-texas
Hi,
I recently became interested in making my own textures for Flight Sim. My goal right now is to texture the original FSX A321 model. I have MSFSX Deluxe with Acceleration installed and I have also installed all the proper versions of the SDK. I read some of the tutorials and such but so far i have one concept that i don't completely understand. So far( as i understand) the only way to repaint original fsx aircraft is to edit the 2D textures that are in the aircraft folder.(I have all the right tools and such for editing in photoshop). Now that's all good but if i wanted to create writing on the aircraft skin the way that the original airbus textures are layed out they prove really challenging to edit. Plus, (correct me if I'm wrong) the SDK only came with .psd for the b747 and b737 textures. If it would have hade one for each one (again if there is .psd for all aircraft please tell me) it would have made the job a little more easier.

Also I do have 3DS Max 9 and if i understand correctly that could make my job retexturing the aircraft a million times easier because I could simply apply my designs to the model. Which brings me to my final question. Is there a legit way that the original FSX model aircraft can be opened in a 3D modeling program and therefore be textured?

If someone could give me a detalied answer i would really appreciate it, I have been hunting down the web and it's been giving me a headache because i have found no real results.

Thank you,
Eagl3
 
Hello Eagle3,

I'll try to explain things as easily as possible.


You wrote;
so far i have one concept that i don't completely understand. So far( as i understand) the only way to repaint original fsx aircraft is to edit the 2D textures that are in the aircraft folder.(I have all the right tools and such for editing in photoshop). Now that's all good but if i wanted to create writing on the aircraft skin the way that the original airbus textures are layed out they prove really challenging to edit. Plus, (correct me if I'm wrong) the SDK only came with .psd for the b747 and b737 textures. If it would have hade one for each one (again if there is .psd for all aircraft please tell me) it would have made the job a little more easier.

Your assumption that this will be a difficult matter is correct. For some reason, the doors are mapped seperately, making it extremely difficult for painters to create paint schemes on the aircrafts sides.


Also I do have 3DS Max 9 and if i understand correctly that could make my job retexturing the aircraft a million times easier because I could simply apply my designs to the model. Which brings me to my final question. Is there a legit way that the original FSX model aircraft can be opened in a 3D modeling program and therefore be textured?

No, there is no legit way to do it. There is a model disection program out there somewhere, but I dont know how it handles textures. It would be nice if you could 'bake' the textures onto the materials though, but you still need to map the textures onto the plane, and with the doors being in wierd (seperate) locations, then you still have the mapping issue.
If someone could give me a detalied answer i would really appreciate it, I have been hunting down the web and it's been giving me a headache because i have found no real results.

I hope thats detailed enough. Its a bummer when this happens on a plane that would be awesome with repaints. You 'might' think of a way to making/creating the doors cutouts (material cut templates) by an easy way, such as photographing/taking a screenshot of the side of a full texture with the fuselage draped underneat it so you have a template of where the doors go and you can cut them out easier/faster that way. (Use a PSD file with new paint scheme hovering over a screenshot of the fuselage, noting where the doors are, then cutting/pasting them onto the door texture sheet).

I wish it was easier... I like the Cub also, and it too is a puzzle of mapping.

Bill
 
thanks for taking your time in answering. Your reply was quite useful. Yea it's a bummer that they made it this way
 
Its not impossible though. Just difficult. They guy that painted them proves its possible.

Think of how to create a template door cutter from a 'huge' texture painting of the side. Create a template 'thing' that would have a overlay that you could make semi-transparent, and see how to cut the doors out. Also, you can make a layer of doors as a cutting template, plugs if you would. Make selections of the door shapes and make a new layer, call it Door Template, then 'fill' the surround selections with a color. Now you can 'Control/Leftclick the layer, making it an active set of selections, then select the 'painted' layer, click Copy, then in the repaint layer, click Paste, and move them into position on the door texture sheet.


You figure out tons of ways to get around big problems using layers in doing textures...


Bill
 
Back
Top