• Which the release of FS2020 we see an explosition of activity on the forun and of course we are very happy to see this. But having all questions about FS2020 in one forum becomes a bit messy. So therefore we would like to ask you all to use the following guidelines when posting your questions:

    • Tag FS2020 specific questions with the MSFS2020 tag.
    • Questions about making 3D assets can be posted in the 3D asset design forum. Either post them in the subforum of the modelling tool you use or in the general forum if they are general.
    • Questions about aircraft design can be posted in the Aircraft design forum
    • Questions about airport design can be posted in the FS2020 airport design forum. Once airport development tools have been updated for FS2020 you can post tool speciifc questions in the subforums of those tools as well of course.
    • Questions about terrain design can be posted in the FS2020 terrain design forum.
    • Questions about SimConnect can be posted in the SimConnect forum.

    Any other question that is not specific to an aspect of development or tool can be posted in the General chat forum.

    By following these guidelines we make sure that the forums remain easy to read for everybody and also that the right people can find your post to answer it.

FSXA Overwriting bgl files

Messages
112
Country
spain
A bit off topic really... hope someone can help

How can I get Windows 7 to allow the overwriting of bgl files whilst they are in an 'active' scenery folder and FSX is running? I just want to see my scenery mod's in FSX while it's running rather than restarting it.

I just get a 'folder in use' error which says 'The action can't be performed because the folder or a file in it is open in another program' Close the folder or file and try again.

Tried a few 'fixes' from Google but no joy.

I can overwrite texture files, refresh them and see the results in FSX right away, but not bgl's...

I'm sure I could do this fine in XP - maybe I dreamt it!

Regards, Dave. :wave:
 
Pretty much you can't and the reason is not really windows but FS. FS locks files when it reads them and they are active. For that reason you can't update them. Sometimes you get warned and other times (like using BglComp) you get no warning but the file does not get updated.

Some folks leave FS running but open another airport far away from the one they are working on. Load the new Bgl file and then go back. I think there are other techniques as well including forcing the scenery file database to reload.

In the end my experience (and I re-iterate my experience) is that doing anything other than shutting FS down before compiling and saving a revised Bgl file to the scenery folders is not reliable. As I say others may be able to offer a way that is reliable.

The alternative is to use one of Konstantin's tools like Instant Scenery, AFX, Airport Studio and so on that work inside the FS environment.
 
Thanks Jon,

I have a vague memory of XP allowing me to overwrite bgl's, then I'd rebuild the scenery database, but regularly the scenery I'd modified didn't alter at all. Your explanation explains it!

I'll carry on with the reboot FSX method to be sure.

Regards, Dave.
 
I simply have a "Temp_1" and "Temp_2" set of scenery folders
that I use. I just flip-flop the activation of the files when I am doing
a lot or editing/creating.

Sometimes, and I never investigated when and why, I can over-write
a scenery bgl multiple times before Win7 complains.

Paul
 
Back
Top