• Which the release of FS2020 we see an explosition of activity on the forun and of course we are very happy to see this. But having all questions about FS2020 in one forum becomes a bit messy. So therefore we would like to ask you all to use the following guidelines when posting your questions:

• Tag FS2020 specific questions with the MSFS2020 tag.
    • Questions about making 3D assets can be posted in the 3D asset design forum. Either post them in the subforum of the modelling tool you use or in the general forum if they are general.
    • Questions about aircraft design can be posted in the Aircraft design forum
    • Questions about airport design can be posted in the FS2020 airport design forum. Once airport development tools have been updated for FS2020 you can post tool speciifc questions in the subforums of those tools as well of course.
    • Questions about terrain design can be posted in the FS2020 terrain design forum.
    • Questions about SimConnect can be posted in the SimConnect forum.

Any other question that is not specific to an aspect of development or tool can be posted in the General chat forum.

By following these guidelines we make sure that the forums remain easy to read for everybody and also that the right people can find your post to answer it.

MSFS Painted lines - taxi, edge lines, etc - can we create a custom texture sheet for custom lines?

Country
us-florida
Hi,
Nope there's not a crazy amount of detail going into it, just simply replacing the default texture sheet with a modified one, using more than 2 colors now, using 3.
this is perplexing.
View attachment 63986

View attachment 63987

modified vs. the asobo original sheet.

i tried making the sheet huge, but it made very little difference if any at all. it seems the sim is locked in at using a certain resolution when it projects a texture. I wonder if theres a way to change the projection level.
Hello there. I would like to have the png if you don't mind sharing it. Also, how do you load this custom texture into the SDK?

Country
unitedstates
When using custom lines so far I have gotten things to work. I am having a little trouble with the Edge_Solid_Ortho Lines. In the image below I have added my custom line, which you can see marked by the blue arrow. However, I am unable to change the line texture for the part circled in red. Has anyone been able to change this? I have seen a few diagrams but none show you how to change this. Any help is welcome and appreciated.
InkedPainted lines_LI.jpg
Any

Country
germany
I think msfs pulls the texture for the perpendicular line from another texture file than the default markings bitmap. You would have to detect that bitmap somehow.
I personally didn't bother and made the Edge Line by adding the perpendicular line manually.

Country
us-florida
I need help. I changed the color of the sheet to customize the lines of one of my mods by creating a materiallib and then replacing the original taxiway sheet with my file but....... Now all the airports have that modified color. How can I change it so it only uses the custom lines in my mod?

Country
us-florida
Create a material in MSFS with your file and assign that material to your painted lines.
I tried that, but that method only works for painted lines, but it won't change the color of the taxiway_paths that have a center line.

1616181761418.png

Last edited:
Country
canada
This was very useful and the table was a godsend, thanks! I was mostly able to work with this, but I have a strange effect that you all don't seem to have. Not just the jaggies and blurriness, I expected that. But the ugly black smudgy square-pixel blurriness. Any idea what am I doing wrong? Here's what I see in the sim:
1617251584301.png

Here is a closeup:
1617251616439.png

What's going on here?
I tried 2048x2048 and 512x512 from the original Photoshop file, started from imported original DDS. The PNG is very sharp and clean.

PNG looks like this (not actual size of coures, it's 2048x2048 and I have a variant with 512x512):

1617251749657.png

So all the edges of the "standard" are not bordering anything else but black, but why those giant squares/pixels that smudge the black inside the clearly yellow lines, and yellow - outside of the line, looks like? All my MSFS settings are on Ultra (RTX 3800 / Ryzen 9 3900X / 64Gb RAM).

Any ideas? I thought maybe it's the transparency, so I duplicated yellow until black doesn't come through and it's pure yellow. But I still have those horrible squarish mess... I created both an exact replacement file and substituted some lines - both materials exhibit the same problem. All advice welcome.

Country
italy
Hi,
Nope there's not a crazy amount of detail going into it, just simply replacing the default texture sheet with a modified one, using more than 2 colors now, using 3.
this is perplexing.
View attachment 63986

View attachment 63987

modified vs. the asobo original sheet.

i tried making the sheet huge, but it made very little difference if any at all. it seems the sim is locked in at using a certain resolution when it projects a texture. I wonder if theres a way to change the projection level.
Hi, how did you do it? i can't make a custom paintedline. Did you modify the asobo original and leave it in its directory, or did you modify it and bring the modified DDS copy into your materials folder of your project?
Did you leave the original asobo in its folder or did you delete it?
Are the number of lines the same? the names to choose are the previous ones or have you changed them?
Do you have a tip for me? I wanted to insert the centerline of the taxi with the side blacks and central yellow, I tried with png dds but I can not do anything. if i use aprons they work.
Can you possibly pass me your file?
Hello and thank you very much

Attachments

• TAXIWAY_POL3.png
    TAXIWAY_POL3.png
    23.6 KB · Views: 170
Country
us-ohio
Hi, how did you do it? i can't make a custom paintedline. Did you modify the asobo original and leave it in its directory, or did you modify it and bring the modified DDS copy into your materials folder of your project?
Did you leave the original asobo in its folder or did you delete it?
Are the number of lines the same? the names to choose are the previous ones or have you changed them?
Do you have a tip for me? I wanted to insert the centerline of the taxi with the side blacks and central yellow, I tried with png dds but I can not do anything. if i use aprons they work.
Can you possibly pass me your file?
Hello and thank you very much
if you look at post #2, its exactly what i did, took their default stripes texture and overwrote my own colors and whatnot. i tested different sizes but saving it 2048 and 512 made very little difference. follow the video and you will be on track.

Country
canada
if you look at post #2, its exactly what i did, took their default stripes texture and overwrote my own colors and whatnot. i tested different sizes but saving it 2048 and 512 made very little difference. follow the video and you will be on track.
I wish I knew why my lines appear to be blurrier and dirtier with black and yellow squares than at others on this page... See above to the example.

Country
us-ohio
I wish I knew why my lines appear to be blurrier and dirtier with black and yellow squares than at others on this page... See above to the example.
I noticed that about yours too. if you ask me that was a super bad decision on the part of asobo to not make the option to have higher detailed ground markings.

Country
canada
I noticed that about yours too. if you ask me that was a super bad decision on the part of asobo to not make the option to have higher detailed ground markings.
Can I ask you to send me your PNG file of the lines? I just want to look at color values, I promise to create my own from scratch and not to use yours. There must be something different about it, alpha channel or color values... You could just sent me top half of the file if you like...

Country
switzerland
There must be something different about it, alpha channel or color values...
My yellow is RGB 207/187/65 and alpha 212. My black has 0/0/0 and alpha 228. Something important maybe is, that the invisible portions are colored. Though they have alpha=0, the color channels nearly match the yellow: 206/186/64.

With that I get much nicer lines with a 2048x2048 texture.

Country
italy
Thanks for the reply, so you edited the original and left it in its original directory, right?

Country
switzerland
Thanks for the reply, so you edited the original and left it in its original directory, right?
You need to make a new material and put into the materials folder. The material can be assigned to paintedLines. To get taxiways, you need to paint every taxiway again as paintedLine. At least, thats all that worked for me.

Country
italy
thanks for the reply, I understand from your post # 2 that you have edited the original file. Then, the file you edited you left there in the directory
.... \ Packages \ Official \ OneStore \ fs-base-material-lib \ MaterialLibs \ Base_MaterialLib \ Textures \ ASO_TAXIWAY_MARKS.TIF.DDS
or did you also bring a copy in your project?
The video I can't understand spoken English because I don't know, I use Google Translate for the writing, so you would do me a great pleasure if you could answer my stupid question.
Thank you

Country
italy
You need to make a new material and put into the materials folder. The material can be assigned to paintedLines. To get taxiways, you need to paint every taxiway again as paintedLine. At least, thats all that worked for me.
thanks for the reply, in fact I created a png file and also a dds file with the drawing of the line I would like, I imported it in the "materials \ texture \. and I saved it with the name and characteristic PAINT. When I associate that material to a PaintedLine that I generated, the line disappears and is no longer visible.
Where am I wrong?
Is this a wrong procedure?
Thanks

Last edited:
Country
canada
My yellow is RGB 207/187/65 and alpha 212. My black has 0/0/0 and alpha 228. Something important maybe is, that the invisible portions are colored. Though they have alpha=0, the color channels nearly match the yellow: 206/186/64.

With that I get much nicer lines with a 2048x2048 texture.
Thanks for the info, much appreciated. Maybe the issue is that your "invisible" is colored yellow, while mine is colored black. That may affect the downsampling values possibly. Now I need to figure out how to use these specific alpha values in Photoshop. I am a web designer, running my business for 20 years, but that's not that way I work with transparency in Photoshop LOL. I don't know if it's even possible to dial a specific value. My guess is if I make a whole layer transparent to a specific percent it would come down to the same thing, so alpha 212 should equal 83% (I assume alpha 255 is max). And I have no idea if the invisible colors would come out the same from Photoshop. But I'll figure this out somehow.

One thing that remains a mystery is how thick are your black lines around the yellow lines. That could directly affect how the downsampling works. So can you send me the top half of the image? Or at least tell me how many pixels the black edges are in yours?

Also, did you make all yellow uniform and square? The original file has the rough edges and uneven transparency to emulate weathering, but I guess it's lost on the downsampling anyway. My file retained this, but maybe if yours are all straight lines it's going to downsample better...