• Which the release of FS2020 we see an explosition of activity on the forun and of course we are very happy to see this. But having all questions about FS2020 in one forum becomes a bit messy. So therefore we would like to ask you all to use the following guidelines when posting your questions:

• Tag FS2020 specific questions with the MSFS2020 tag.
    • Questions about making 3D assets can be posted in the 3D asset design forum. Either post them in the subforum of the modelling tool you use or in the general forum if they are general.
    • Questions about aircraft design can be posted in the Aircraft design forum
    • Questions about airport design can be posted in the FS2020 airport design forum. Once airport development tools have been updated for FS2020 you can post tool speciifc questions in the subforums of those tools as well of course.
    • Questions about terrain design can be posted in the FS2020 terrain design forum.
    • Questions about SimConnect can be posted in the SimConnect forum.

Any other question that is not specific to an aspect of development or tool can be posted in the General chat forum.

By following these guidelines we make sure that the forums remain easy to read for everybody and also that the right people can find your post to answer it.

FSX Parking Radius / Aircraft Editor

Hi Gadgets

I have following question:

Aircraft Editor - Aircraft.cfg - Other:

My Ai 777ER shows a wingspan of 203.4 ft and unter "other" 32 m

Well... 203.4 ft with an external converter tool shows me an equal of 61.99632 m (62m)
This 62m divided by 2 (which I suppose is the formula to get the wingspan value in meters) gives 31.

I there maybe a formula problem in the aircraft editor?

I ask this because I supposed my 777-300 ER have a 31m parking on all AFCADs....

I appreciate very much your work for us simmers and I work daily with this excellent AIFP program.
Maybe there is an error on what I mentioned now.

Kind regards
Alex, LSZH

gadgets

Resource contributor
First, 32m. will work just as well as 31.

I there maybe a formula problem in the aircraft editor?
No! Given that wingspan is given to only 0.1' precision, I chose to use a m.->ft. conversion factor of 3.28. Your external converter tool uses 3.280839895013123.

As well, to avoid rounding errors due to repeated de-compile/recompile of the .bgl causing the parking stall to become too small, AIFP adds a 0.5 m. buffer.

But, use 31 if you wish.

Don

Thank you for your quick response.
The question is now, what factor does FSX take to convert the wingspan values? Yours or 3.280839895013123
I use AIFP to check if I have the right wingspan on parkings to see all AI-Traffic flying there.
I didnt make a test yet with 31 or 32. Just aks here before starting testing, maybe somebody or you have the right answer.

Sorry for bothering
Thanks for help
Alex, LSZH

gadgets

Resource contributor
The question is now, what factor does FSX take to convert the wingspan values? Yours or 3.280839895013123
What is you underlying concern? With a 0.5m buffer, you are guaranteed that the parking spot will be big enough.

Don

What is you underlying concern? With a 0.5m buffer, you are guaranteed that the parking spot will be big enough.

Don
My concern is, that AIFP is showing me, that there are missing parking spaces for 777-300ER at an airport because i have 31m parkings (due to
above mentioned calculations) and AIFP looks for parkings with 32m (Parking Analizer).

gadgets

Resource contributor
AIFP is showing me, that there are missing parking spaces for 777-300ER at an airport because i have 31m parkings
I presume you are now referring to AIFP traffic and Parking analyser. (Earlier you were referring to the Aircraft Editor.)

For the reasons mentioned above, airport designers typically allow more than a few millimeters buffer for parking radius. All I can suggest is you follow their example and update the parking spot radius to 32. Without knowing exact what conversion factor FSX uses (and I know of no way of determining that value), this situation cannot be reliably addressed. However, I will have a look at the analyser to see if I can eliminate the buffer (it's not really needed there). Check the Version History of the next release.

Don

Hi Don
Thank you for understanding my "problem". Yeah I wanted avoiding to change the radiuses on those airports but if there is no solution
I might have to do it (anyway 772LR and 350 use more than 31m). With the 31m I could just till now cover almost most of big size planes.
But I believe I have to change to 33m to be on the safe side.
I thank you for our help and patience.

Regards
Alex

gadgets

Resource contributor
Alex, I think you'll find that using a parking spot size equal to exactly half the wingspan will not work. To calculate the minimum size of a parking spot in FSX, take half the wingspan value and round it up to the nearest whole meter. When assigning a radius to a parking spot for a specific aircraft, you should add a small buffer to the minimum size.

Don