• Which the release of FS2020 we see an explosition of activity on the forun and of course we are very happy to see this. But having all questions about FS2020 in one forum becomes a bit messy. So therefore we would like to ask you all to use the following guidelines when posting your questions:

• Tag FS2020 specific questions with the MSFS2020 tag.
    • Questions about making 3D assets can be posted in the 3D asset design forum. Either post them in the subforum of the modelling tool you use or in the general forum if they are general.
    • Questions about aircraft design can be posted in the Aircraft design forum
    • Questions about airport design can be posted in the FS2020 airport design forum. Once airport development tools have been updated for FS2020 you can post tool speciifc questions in the subforums of those tools as well of course.
    • Questions about terrain design can be posted in the FS2020 terrain design forum.
    • Questions about SimConnect can be posted in the SimConnect forum.

Any other question that is not specific to an aspect of development or tool can be posted in the General chat forum.

By following these guidelines we make sure that the forums remain easy to read for everybody and also that the right people can find your post to answer it.

P3D v5 PBR Issues...

Country
unitedkingdom
My gorund polys PBR don't seem to be reacting to light properly. In the morning the asphalt is illuminated and reflects the sun, but in the evening, after midday they just go dark and stop reflecting light as if the smoothness goes to black. Any ideas what might be up with it?

Attachments

• day.jpg
    day.jpg
    231.2 KB · Views: 93
  • night.jpg
    night.jpg
    196.4 KB · Views: 94
Last edited:
Country
unitedkingdom
I see this is because I have rotated some UV islands, and the normal rotation has resulted in the material behaving as if the mesh is facting another direction. How do I stop this please?

Country
unitedkingdom
This is happening to my markings also, with a normal map engaged they are reflecting light as if the normal is facing the direction the UV is rotated to? This hasn't happened before in PBR that I have used.

Country
canada
Don't know if this will help , but there is a +y and -y for normal maps.

Question
What is the difference between the OpenGL and DirectX normal format ?

Explanation
OpenGL and DirectX are two graphic APIs (sets of functions) that programmers use in their application to dialog with the GPU (Graphic Processing Unit). In terms of normal maps, the difference result in how the green channel of a RGB texture should be interpreted. OpenGL expects the first pixel to be at the bottom while DirectX expects it to be at the top. This is often why in various technical discussion it is recommended to try to invert the green channel of a normal map to see if it behave better as it reverses the pixel values (first becomes last). OpenGL can be referred as Y+ (bottom-up) while DirectX is referred as Y- (top-down).
To know which format to use, refer to the target application in which your textures will be used.

Country
unitedkingdom
I'm using some from normal map generator online and normal map from a pbr set from textures .com

Inverting the green channel seems to not work.

Pyscen

Resource contributor
Country
us-texas
Can you send a link to this normal map generator.? So we can take a look?

Country
unitedkingdom

The normals with a texture.com PBR package asphalt image seem similarly affected.

Pyscen

Resource contributor
Country
us-texas
The texture was already in a normal map stage? Most PBR Textures do have a normal map included. If that is the case then flipping the Y or green channel usually corrects this. Send the PBR file to me.

Country
unitedkingdom
Thanks, PM sent.

It's affecting buildings with PBR on it also, it appears fine in Blender.

The more rotated the UV the more it affects the normals.

Attachments

• Normal Issues.jpg
    Normal Issues.jpg
    329.5 KB · Views: 61
Country
unitedkingdom
This is the "Bump" style map that MCX makes "Convert to FS bump", I thought PBR required normal maps, like purple ones not the old style bump maps.

Last edited:

Pyscen

Resource contributor
Country
us-texas
No. It's not the normal map or bump map that makes it a PBR. It's usually if it has a metallic map or not.

Both the bump and normal maps are purple.

Country
unitedkingdom
Following the red to alpha (or MCX normal to FS Normal) gives blue, this seems to work fine, and is what was suggested in the thread linked above. Is this wrong?

Attachments

• tiles_normal.jpg
    tiles_normal.jpg
    411.4 KB · Views: 57

Pyscen

Resource contributor
Country
us-texas
Wrong? Explain what you mean? Bluish/purplish pretty much the same once its converted in dds.