• Which the release of FS2020 we see an explosition of activity on the forun and of course we are very happy to see this. But having all questions about FS2020 in one forum becomes a bit messy. So therefore we would like to ask you all to use the following guidelines when posting your questions:

• Tag FS2020 specific questions with the MSFS2020 tag.
    • Questions about making 3D assets can be posted in the 3D asset design forum. Either post them in the subforum of the modelling tool you use or in the general forum if they are general.
    • Questions about aircraft design can be posted in the Aircraft design forum
    • Questions about airport design can be posted in the FS2020 airport design forum. Once airport development tools have been updated for FS2020 you can post tool speciifc questions in the subforums of those tools as well of course.
    • Questions about terrain design can be posted in the FS2020 terrain design forum.
    • Questions about SimConnect can be posted in the SimConnect forum.

Any other question that is not specific to an aspect of development or tool can be posted in the General chat forum.

By following these guidelines we make sure that the forums remain easy to read for everybody and also that the right people can find your post to answer it.

P3D v4 resample cannot open bmp file

Country
japan
Hi everyone, please help me.
I am creating airport ground poly as photo scenery. I get the photo from FSET, and edit it by GIMP.
After edit GIMP, export as BMP. And write inf file and launch resample.exe. But command line show following error.

D:\Program Files\Lockheed Martin\Prepar3D v5 SDK 5.0.31.35253\World\Terrain> resample D:\test1.inf
Lockheed Martin(R) api_strings 5.0.31.35253
(C) Lockheed Martin. All rights reserved.

Resample Info File: 'D:\test1.inf'
[Source] Type = 'BMP'
[Source] Type = 'BMP'
[Source] Layer = 'Imagery'
[Source] ULXMAP = 26.218273
[Source] ULYMAP = 127.639843
[Source] XDIM = 0.000002
[Source] YDIM = 0.000001
Unable to open data source 'unknown'.
Failed to create data source.

Same error appear when I change the file format tiff file.
I want know WHAT is the UNKNOWN, and WHAT should I fix.
One of clue is bmp file can open only by photo application. It seems windows paint soft cannot open.
Please give me your idea.

I attach the bmp file, inf file and the info which FSET print out.
The position of the inf file and zip file and output file is following.

inf file, D:\
Photo file D:\test1
Output folder D:\output

my photo
it is too heavy, so I cannot upload bmp file with gip file... So, I upload with jpeg which decrease the quolity.

View attachment ROAH ground north.jpg

Attachments

• component.zip
    1,017 bytes · Views: 180
Country
japan
JRobinson
Thanks for finding mine silly mistype :) I laughed with big voice!

After editing the spell, I try it again. But there is two problems.

No.1 BMP can`t read

This is the message from commandline.

Resample Info File: 'D:\test1\test1.inf'
[Source] Type = 'BMP'
[Source] Type = 'BMP'
[Source] SourceDir = 'source'
[Source] SourceFile = 'ROAH ground north.bmp'
[Source] XDIM = 0.000002
[Source] YDIM = 0.000001
BMP header is corrupt.
Unable to open data source 'D:\test1\source\ROAH ground north.bmp'.
Failed to create data source.

It seems that the BMP file from gimp cannot open. I don`t know why. Also, when opening this file by windows paint, the error "not supported file" appeared.

Second, BGL cant create.
To avoid not reading, I export image tiff or png type, and convert bmp format by ModelconverterX.
Resample exe could read the bmp with ModelX, but it did not export BGL file.
This is the log remaining command line.

Resample Info File: 'D:\test1\test1.inf'
[Source] Type = 'BMP'
[Source] Type = 'BMP'
[Source] SourceDir = 'source'
[Source] SourceFile = 'ROAH ground north.bmp'
[Source] XDIM = 0.000002
[Source] YDIM = 0.000001
[Source] PixelIsPoint = 0
[Destination] DestDir = 'output'
[Destination] DestBaseFileName = 'test1'
[Destination] DestFileType = 'BGL'

Elapsed time: 00:00:00

Compression statistics:

Totals:
Blocks: 0

Resample completed successfully.

Country
unitedstates
I'm not much help with Gimp but I can replicate the first error using the default export .bmp settings in Gimp.

If I check "do not write color space information" then resample completes successfully.

gimp_csi.jpg

Jim

Country
germany
For bmp export with gimp I also use the setting
"do not write color space information"
and the 24bits format.

Furthermore I would say,
you swapped the coordinates on ulxMap and ulyMap.

Your entries (in red) photo_bgl will not be created.
Exchange entries (in green) photo_bgl is being created.

ulxMap = 26.218273 // 127.639843 (the longitude of the upper left corner of the image)
ulyMap =127.639843 // 26.218273 (the latitude of the upper left corner of the image)

Country
japan
For bmp export with gimp I also use the setting
"do not write color space information"
and the 24bits format.

If I check "do not write color space information" then resample completes successfully.

Thanks giving information! I try it.
I separated RGB area into alpha area and export as 24bit, not write color space info. Result is Windows Paint soft read correctly. But Resample do not read it correctly.

Your entries (in red) photo_bgl will not be created.
Exchange entries (in green) photo_bgl is being created.
Thanks, I switched lat and lon data in inf data :)

Is it wrong GIMP version? Or should I buy another paint soft like photoshop etc?

And just let me ask another question.
Why resample cant create BGL flie with bmp file which ModelConverterX converted from png to bmp? Resample managed bmp with ModelConverterX, but did not vreate BGL file!
the convert step gimp, png, bmp(with modelconverterX) is wrong?

Country
germany
Is it wrong GIMP version? Or should I buy another paint soft like photoshop etc?

There is no wrong Gimp version.
Only the current or older versions.
The current gimp version is 2.10.22 ...

You do not need to spend money on photoshop if you are satisfied with gimp.
Every application has its own characteristics, you first have to find them out.

Why resample cant create BGL flie with bmp file which ModelConverterX converted from png to bmp? Resample managed bmp with ModelConverterX, but did not vreate BGL file!
the convert step gimp, png, bmp(with modelconverterX) is wrong?

The MXC is not an image editing program.
It can do much, very much..., but apparently not everything.

I would always edit pictures with an image editing program (Gimp is my first choice) and convert them into other formats.

My way is to edit images with Gimp and convert them to bmp format.
Create masks with Gimp and convert them to tiff format.
Then create the photo-bgl with the resample.exe...

I can highly recommend this contribution to you...
Especially contribution #3 from GaryGB !
https://www.fsdeveloper.com/forum/t...imp-2-i-still-dont-get-it.445375/#post-822304

Country
japan
Hey, sorry my reply. I search and try many thing. (But there is no resolution) I will write down whole over.

There is no wrong Gimp version.
Only the current or older versions.
The current gimp version is 2.10.22 ...
Sorry my post mistype before this reply. It is that wrong version but old version. What I say is old version GIMP will work correctly especially about alpha channel.

And I found the online photo editor which can open GIMP XCF file!
It works great! I export xcf into TIFF file, and resample it. No BGL appeared.
The softname is photopea.
https://www.photopea.com/

Also I tried create photo by using sketchup. Its grate until create picture model. But there is no transparency. So it mask all over including runway light taxi light.

スクリーンショット (67).png

After tried resample many times, I notice that resample work correctly as inf indicated. But resample do not export anything. It seems that it did not create any block...(Please check LOG I write at first post)
So I fix inf file. Down the LOD. But resample did not work...

What I found as the solution is that ADE can create simple tiled custom ground. I try to create whole texture by ADE. But ADE cannot handle big photo file as what I want to create. SBX cannot handle as well as ADE.

I am before give up...

Country
ca-newbrunswick
Hey, sorry my reply. I search and try many thing. (But there is no resolution) I will write down whole over.

Sorry my post mistype before this reply. It is that wrong version but old version. What I say is old version GIMP will work correctly especially about alpha channel.

And I found the online photo editor which can open GIMP XCF file!
It works great! I export xcf into TIFF file, and resample it. No BGL appeared.
The softname is photopea.
https://www.photopea.com/

Also I tried create photo by using sketchup. Its grate until create picture model. But there is no transparency. So it mask all over including runway light taxi light.

View attachment 66001

After tried resample many times, I notice that resample work correctly as inf indicated. But resample do not export anything. It seems that it did not create any block...(Please check LOG I write at first post)
So I fix inf file. Down the LOD. But resample did not work...

What I found as the solution is that ADE can create simple tiled custom ground. I try to create whole texture by ADE. But ADE cannot handle big photo file as what I want to create. SBX cannot handle as well as ADE.

I am before give up...
Very detailed answer, thanks so much!. I think I like the technical aspect of Photopea the most, it's so well implemented.

in addition, A drawing tablet like XP-PEN ( https://www.xp-pen.com ) will give you a natural way to use all the tools as soon as Photopea is up out comes the pen.