• Which the release of FS2020 we see an explosition of activity on the forun and of course we are very happy to see this. But having all questions about FS2020 in one forum becomes a bit messy. So therefore we would like to ask you all to use the following guidelines when posting your questions:

• Tag FS2020 specific questions with the MSFS2020 tag.
    • Questions about making 3D assets can be posted in the 3D asset design forum. Either post them in the subforum of the modelling tool you use or in the general forum if they are general.
    • Questions about aircraft design can be posted in the Aircraft design forum
    • Questions about airport design can be posted in the FS2020 airport design forum. Once airport development tools have been updated for FS2020 you can post tool speciifc questions in the subforums of those tools as well of course.
    • Questions about terrain design can be posted in the FS2020 terrain design forum.
    • Questions about SimConnect can be posted in the SimConnect forum.

Any other question that is not specific to an aspect of development or tool can be posted in the General chat forum.

By following these guidelines we make sure that the forums remain easy to read for everybody and also that the right people can find your post to answer it.

Satellite Imagery

Country
us-ohio
What is the best free source for satellite imagery that is usable in GMAX (has a scale ratio or whatever it's called) for creating ground polys? The USGS maps recommended in tutorials for my airport (CLE) at least are black and white and are very low quality.

Country
england
Country
us-ohio
Country
england
Hey Jason
I use SBX_313
Open SBX_313
Click on file/then click on new project
Name your project
then add the path to where you want to save your BGL File and tick the box below,and click ok
Then click on view and click on show background
Then click on file and go down to add map from background
Draw a box around the area you want press ok
Your tiles will down load
your tiles probably won't all download the first time
so what you have to do is close add map from background
Click on view/click on show background/click on view again/click on show background again
then click on file/then click add map from background and press ok
All your tiles will download
Tell me if you need help getting satellite image into GMAX
If you want a step by step tutorial writing out with pictures
I will write you one out
Regards
Ian

arno

Administrator
Staff member
FSDevConf team
Resource contributor
Country
netherlands
Be aware that you are not allowed to release sceneries that contain images from Google. So if you plan to distribute your work, you need to find another image source.

Country
australia
Arno your reply interested me as recently I created photo realistic scenery for an area in British Columbia, Canada and made mention that I was considering releasing it as freeware and received a similar warning. I was advised to try image tiles from SCRD http://www.scrd.ca/data-download which it seems are freeware (you need GEOVIEWER to view and convert the downloaded SID files to GeoTIFF).
Now SCRD is only for the Sunshine Coast of BC Canada (which was ok for me but probably not for Jason) so are there any other tile servers which can be used to create satellite imagery which can be distributed (I tried contacting the following without success which have tile servers for SBX) -
VirtualEarthSatellite
ArcGisImagery

Maybe there are other web sites similar to SCRD for other areas of the world. Note there is an interesting web site at 15 free satellite imagery data sources which maybe useful (I have not explaored any).

arno

Administrator
Staff member
FSDevConf team
Resource contributor
Country
netherlands
Hi,

More and more countries, provinces and cities are making their data open. But it's hard to give a list of that, since it really depends on the location you are making a scenery for. So it's always a good idea to check the official website of the area you are working on and check if hey have a GIS department or some other open data.

Country
australia
Thanks Arno

That may be easier said than done from the quick check I just did for areas here in Australia. I found such a web site for an area which listed GIS data but when I navigated there all it contained was an interactive satellite image which could be scrolled and zoomed but no downloadable (SID) files. Probably just a trial and error method to find them.

Country
us-ohio
It would be legal to use google imagery to reference taxiways but never have the image on our scenery though, right?

Country
us-idaho
Jason,

I use Google images all the time to reference taxiways, aprons, key buildings, etc when creating or modifying an airport with ADE. Once I am done with layout I throw the image away, so "Yes", as long as you remove the image before releasing it you are fine. It's probably also fine as long as the image is for your personal use only, but not positive.

Randy

Country
australia
Jason,
It's probably also fine as long as the image is for your personal use only, but not positive
You are correct according to what I have been told unless you use satellite imagery which is supplied as free to use image files from such places as SCRD. Google satellite imagery is definitely copyright so ok to use for personal use but nothing else.

It makes me wonder though about the freeware scenery which includes satellite imagery which is available to download such as the FSX Midway Atoll (Midway Islands) Photoreal Scenery.
I wonder where the author obtained the satellite imagery from.

rhumbaflappy

Administrator
Staff member
Resource contributor
Country
us-wisconsin
They want the text directly on the image. Not just in a "readme" file. Kind of destroys the illusion, yes?

Country
us-ohio
They want the text directly on the image. Not just in a "readme" file. Kind of destroys the illusion, yes?
I think as long as it's in the texture sheet you should be fine. It doesn't necessarily have to show up on the scenery itself but since it's on the image (texture sheet) it should count.

arno

Administrator
Staff member
FSDevConf team
Resource contributor
Country
netherlands
I don't think you are right there. For film it says:

Attribution to both Google and our data suppliers must appear on-screen for the entire duration the content is displayed.

So that would mean that for our simulation usage it would have to be on screen all the time as well.

Country
us-ohio
I don't think you are right there. For film it says:

So that would mean that for our simulation usage it would have to be on screen all the time as well.
Then I honestly wonder where everyone else gets theirs. SBuilderX uses google as a plug in so that's no solution.

arno

Administrator
Staff member
FSDevConf team
Resource contributor
Country
netherlands
For project that are released developers use various sources, but it depends per country what these are. So no general answer can be given. Also developers often pay for images.