• Which the release of FS2020 we see an explosition of activity on the forun and of course we are very happy to see this. But having all questions about FS2020 in one forum becomes a bit messy. So therefore we would like to ask you all to use the following guidelines when posting your questions:

• Tag FS2020 specific questions with the MSFS2020 tag.
    • Questions about making 3D assets can be posted in the 3D asset design forum. Either post them in the subforum of the modelling tool you use or in the general forum if they are general.
    • Questions about aircraft design can be posted in the Aircraft design forum
    • Questions about airport design can be posted in the FS2020 airport design forum. Once airport development tools have been updated for FS2020 you can post tool speciifc questions in the subforums of those tools as well of course.
    • Questions about terrain design can be posted in the FS2020 terrain design forum.
    • Questions about SimConnect can be posted in the SimConnect forum.

Any other question that is not specific to an aspect of development or tool can be posted in the General chat forum.

By following these guidelines we make sure that the forums remain easy to read for everybody and also that the right people can find your post to answer it.

Saving lights in Attached Object Editor

Country
netherlands
Last week I made a model of the airport office of Inishmore with Sketchup. I exported the model as .dae-file and opened it with ModelConverterX. Al went well and the model showed up nicely. After that I opened the Attached Object Editor to Add a Light to my model. In the editor I used the AttachpointName as generated (attpt_light00) and I entered the properties for the position. The little yellow cube showed up at the right place. After that I exported the model as a copy of the original adding to the filename "with light" and closed the ModelConverterX. Two days later I re-opened the saved file (with light)to add another light to the model, but the already attached light wasn't there and the Attached Object Editor was empty. Obviously I am doing something wrong, but what..... ?? Please help !

arno

Administrator
Staff member
FSDevConf team
Resource contributor
Country
netherlands
To which format did you save the model with the light? You would have to save as MDL file for them to be stored. If you export back to DAE they are lost.

Country
netherlands
Thanks, Arno, You reply very quickly. Yes, I exported back to .dae. I use P3D v3: which .mdl should a choose: I see P3d v2, v4 and v4.4 only ?

arno

Administrator
Staff member
FSDevConf team
Resource contributor
Country
netherlands
If you use P3D v3 it makes no sense to use the v4 MDL files, they won't work in v3. So v2 is fine or even FSX MDL files would work.

Country
netherlands
Thanks, again. I saved the model as a v2 file as well as a fsx mdl. When re-opening the light is there indeed, but now the event log indicates the loading failure of all texture files. I have a checkerboard building now. Can you tell me what is wrong ?

arno

Administrator
Staff member
FSDevConf team
Resource contributor
Country
netherlands
SketchUp stores the textures in a subfolder, while the mdl files only stores the texture name. So that's probably why they are not found.

Country
netherlands
Thanks Arno, I copied the textures to the same folder where the model was saved and yes, the textures and the light are all there !!!
By the way, is this procedure (that is savi8ng to .mdl instead of .dae, the same in case of adding effects to models ?
I try to make some smoke coming out of the chimney ;-))

arno

Administrator
Staff member
FSDevConf team
Resource contributor
Country
netherlands
Yes, any attached object is only kept when saving to mdl file.

Country
netherlands
OK, Arno, thank you very much. Now I would like to add my lighted and smoking model to the airport. I have made an adjusted airport of Inishmore with ADE and I want to place my model at this airport of course. Now I am with P3D on the apron and the model is correctly placed. but has no textures and the light is missing. Where should I place my textures and why is the light not there. By the way, the smoke from the chimney is splendid. Can you help me again ?

tgibson

Resource contributor
Country
us-california
Hi,

If you used the "default" light you need to copy it where MCX created it and paste it into the Effects folder (I assume that's the proper location in P3D). The textures need to go into the adjoining texture folder, next to the scenery folder where the object's BGL file is located. And they need to be in FS format (DXT, DDS, etc.).