• Which the release of FS2020 we see an explosition of activity on the forun and of course we are very happy to see this. But having all questions about FS2020 in one forum becomes a bit messy. So therefore we would like to ask you all to use the following guidelines when posting your questions:

    • Tag FS2020 specific questions with the MSFS2020 tag.
    • Questions about making 3D assets can be posted in the 3D asset design forum. Either post them in the subforum of the modelling tool you use or in the general forum if they are general.
    • Questions about aircraft design can be posted in the Aircraft design forum
    • Questions about airport design can be posted in the FS2020 airport design forum. Once airport development tools have been updated for FS2020 you can post tool speciifc questions in the subforums of those tools as well of course.
    • Questions about terrain design can be posted in the FS2020 terrain design forum.
    • Questions about SimConnect can be posted in the SimConnect forum.

    Any other question that is not specific to an aspect of development or tool can be posted in the General chat forum.

    By following these guidelines we make sure that the forums remain easy to read for everybody and also that the right people can find your post to answer it.

SDK for ILS?

Messages
18
Country
unitedkingdom
Good morning,

My first post here, so hello everyone!

I've downloaded ADE for one specific purpose, namely to add an ILS to St Maarten (TNCM).

(I'm assuming an added ILS will work with the PMDG 747-400?)

I'm a pensioner with only a basic computer knowledge, so I want to keep everything as simple as possible.

So, my first thought is, do I need to download the FSX SDK just for ILS addition?

If so, then I've probably fallen at the first hurdle!

Thank you.
 
Hi and Welcome

First can you tell me what version of FSX you have? Standard, Deluxe, Gold or Steam Edition?
 
Right, first silly question!

Do I install the SDK in the default position or in my FSX folder which is on my F drive, please?

(I have Win7/64 on C drive and all Flight Sim on a separate drive as I was told this is the best set up.)
 
You can install the SDK anywhere that's convenient for you. I typically choose x:\FSX_SDK so I have short path names!
 
Last edited:
Sorry, I don't understand the second sentence, but not to worry, I've installed in the default position.

Problem is, when I look in C:\Program Files\Microsoft Games, it's not there!

I tried a search for SDK and nothing!
 
Found it!

It was in C:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft Games, just to confuse me...

Have now completed the rest of the SDK installation as per the instructions although a little worried, as some of the file dates are wrong.

However, when I open ADE, it no longer asks for the SDK so I assume that's a good sign.

Many thanks for your assistance.
 
When I wrote "x:\FSX_SDK" the small 'x' means any drive letter...

I do not put anything related to flight simulation in the Program Files folders, ever!
 
Thanks Bill.

Given that the "ILS for TNCM" will be my one and only ADE project, I had no need to save anything.

My computer knowledge is very basic and I'm thrilled that I managed to complete my task and land the PMDG 747 at TNCM this afternoon using my new localiser/glideslope system.

I bet the real world pilots wish they were that fortunate!

So I'm grateful to you and everyone else who's helped me add yet more enjoyment to flight simming. :)
 
Real life pilots consider TNCM mostly boring from what I heard. Either way,a modern airliner can simulate it's own ILS, so most of them do have that luxury :-)
 
Back
Top