• Which the release of FS2020 we see an explosition of activity on the forun and of course we are very happy to see this. But having all questions about FS2020 in one forum becomes a bit messy. So therefore we would like to ask you all to use the following guidelines when posting your questions:

• Tag FS2020 specific questions with the MSFS2020 tag.
    • Questions about making 3D assets can be posted in the 3D asset design forum. Either post them in the subforum of the modelling tool you use or in the general forum if they are general.
    • Questions about aircraft design can be posted in the Aircraft design forum
    • Questions about airport design can be posted in the FS2020 airport design forum. Once airport development tools have been updated for FS2020 you can post tool speciifc questions in the subforums of those tools as well of course.
    • Questions about terrain design can be posted in the FS2020 terrain design forum.
    • Questions about SimConnect can be posted in the SimConnect forum.

Any other question that is not specific to an aspect of development or tool can be posted in the General chat forum.

By following these guidelines we make sure that the forums remain easy to read for everybody and also that the right people can find your post to answer it.

SimLab Objects Importer and Exporter For Sketchup

Hi,
It seems that Gary told me about SimLab in a post here but when I put it in the search, it does not find anything on that. Anyway, I'm in the trial period and I wanted to try it out before I purchase both the Sim Lab Importer and Exporter. It seems to work very well and does a much better job importing textures along with the model. But the problem I'm having is that when I export it, the textures material names in Sketchup are not being used but instead it's using their original names. So the textures were exported just fine. But when I import this into MCX, the model is imported but I'm getting the warning "Fail to Load Materials," which are materials 1 through 29. It's not loading the materials because Sketchup exported the textures as materials 1 through 29 instead of their original names, and that's why I'm getting this warning in MCX. As I said, the textures were exported but their file names does not match the material names that in the model. Why is that, and what do I need to do so that the textures will load in MCX? Will I have to rename all the materials in Sketchup to make this work?

Thanks, Ken.

Country
us-illinois
Hi Ken:

Perhaps you are referring to issues discussed in these threads ? :scratchch

https://www.google.com/search?q=site:www.fsdeveloper.com+GaryGB+kmanning+TIG+OBJ+Importer&client=firefox-b-1-d&ei=DaWeYYfbCdqpptQPzoaj4AM&ved=0ahUKEwjHlfDP77H0AhXalIkEHU7DCDwQ4dUDCA0&uact=5&oq=site:www.fsdeveloper.com+GaryGB+kmanning+TIG+OBJ+Importer&gs_lcp=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&sclient=gws-wiz

I do not recall whether SimLabs' or TIG's OBJ Importer / Exporter Ruby plugin scripts retain the original mapped Material names.

IIRC, Aerilius had a Ruby plugin script for Collada *.DAE exports that retained the original Sketchup mapped Material names:

However, you may recall that for multi-layer mapped textures, OBJ retains original 3D model fidelity better than Collada *.DAE. :alert:

Thus, I previously recommended that you use TIG's OBJ Importer / Exporter Ruby plugin scripts for your tasks back then.

https://www.fsdeveloper.com/forum/t...ngs-using-sketchup-and-mcx.446617/post-835965

https://www.google.com/search?q=site:www.fsdeveloper.com+GaryGB+kmanning+TIG:+Import+OBJ+with+Materials+v2.2&client=firefox-b-1-d&ei=DLWeYY38JfeYptQPl86SwAo&ved=0ahUKEwiNst_w_rH0AhV3jIkEHRenBKgQ4dUDCA0&uact=5&oq=site:www.fsdeveloper.com+GaryGB+kmanning+TIG:+Import+OBJ+with+Materials+v2.2&gs_lcp=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&sclient=gws-wiz

NOTE: Here are some considerations / caveats when working with OBJ files in Sketchup:

If you are using Sketchup version-8, you can test either of / all of several free plugin Ruby scripts to import *.OBJ:

TIG: Import OBJ with Materials v2.2

https://sketchucation.com/pluginstore?pln=obj_importer

Also see:

TIG: OBJexporter v3.0 20130131[/URL]

https://sketchucation.com/pluginstore?pln=OBJexporter

ThomThom: QuadFaceTools'] v0.13.1

https://sketchucation.com/pluginstore?pln=QuadFaceTools

FluidImporter (demo)

https://www.fluidinteractive.com/products/sketchup-extensions/fluidimporter/

SimLab OBJ Importer For Sketchup (demo)

http://www.simlab-soft.com/3d-plugins/OBJ_Importer_For_Sketchup-main.aspx

PS: It is possible the work-flow you use in MCX may impact the mapped texture Material names when they are re-formatted to *.DDS as "Powers of 2", then are (re-)mapped and their file names are written into MDLs ...as well as when those resulting Material texture files are written out to disk.

I am not certain whether Arno has resolved all outstanding issues where MCX fails to retain the original texture Material name.

Perhaps Arno may comment here as to what MCX now does to retain original mapped texture Material names on Import / Export ?

GaryGB

Last edited:

Hi Gary,
I guess that's why the search could not find it. It seems that you told me about SimLab plugins in the past.

IIRC, Aerilius had a Ruby plugin script for Collada *.DAE exports that retained the original Sketchup mapped Material names:

I've tried the Aerilius plugin but it doesn't work very well when trying to export an .obj file. It will export the object and texture but it also creates, or generates some 3,250 repeated texture file names, and I assume it's because I'm using a model with several layers of textures within the model. Am I correct? I imported them into MCX and I guess it took about 15 or 20 minutes, and it still did not import the textures within the model. I've tried a few import plugins for Sketchup but they don't seem to work near as good as the payware SimLab. I received an e-mail from SimLabs regarding the problem I'm having and he said that he would forward this to the developers. I asked him why is it that the exporter is being sold if it cannot be used in some way or fashion. It doesn't make any sense to me. So, in the meantime, I'll just use those you listed above.

However, you may recall that for multi-layer mapped textures, OBJ retains original 3D model fidelity better than Collada *.DAE.

Yes, I think I agree.

If you are using Sketchup version-8, you can test either of / all of several free plugin Ruby scripts to import *.OBJ:

No, I'm using Sketchup 2017. The SimLabs plugin works for all of them, from Sketchup 8 all the way throught 2021.

PS: It is possible the work-flow you use in MCX may impact the mapped texture Material names when they are re-formatted to *.DDS as "Powers of 2", then are (re-)mapped and their file names are written into MDLs ...as well as when those resulting Material texture files are written out to disk.

If you're referring to when I imported the original model into MCX and before exporting to Sketchup, the mapped textures are already powers of 2 with their original file names.

I am not certain whether Arno has resolved all outstanding issues where MCX fails to retain the original texture Material name.

Perhaps Arno may comment here as to what MCX now does to retain original mapped texture Material names on Import / Export ?

I will check with Arno about this and see what he says. I would like to know more about this.

Thanks for you help,
Ken.

Country
us-illinois
I've tried the Aerilius plugin but it doesn't work very well when trying to export an .obj file. It will export the object and texture but it also creates, or generates some 3,250 repeated texture file names, and I assume it's because I'm using a model with several layers of textures within the model. Am I correct? I imported them into MCX and I guess it took about 15 or 20 minutes, and it still did not import the textures within the model. I've tried a few import plugins for Sketchup but they don't seem to work near as good as the payware SimLab. I received an e-mail from SimLabs regarding the problem I'm having and he said that he would forward this to the developers. I asked him why is it that the exporter is being sold if it cannot be used in some way or fashion. It doesn't make any sense to me. So, in the meantime, I'll just use those you listed above.

Keep in mind MCX uses a 3rd party ASSIMP library as the engine for import of Collada *.DAE files, which is known to have issues processing that file type. :alert:

I will check with Arno about this and see what he says. I would like to know more about this.

Thanks for you help,
Ken.

Also, you may need to make available to Arno, the example Sketchup project file you are trying to export for processing by MCX.

GaryGB