• Which the release of FS2020 we see an explosition of activity on the forun and of course we are very happy to see this. But having all questions about FS2020 in one forum becomes a bit messy. So therefore we would like to ask you all to use the following guidelines when posting your questions:

• Tag FS2020 specific questions with the MSFS2020 tag.
    • Questions about making 3D assets can be posted in the 3D asset design forum. Either post them in the subforum of the modelling tool you use or in the general forum if they are general.
    • Questions about aircraft design can be posted in the Aircraft design forum
    • Questions about airport design can be posted in the FS2020 airport design forum. Once airport development tools have been updated for FS2020 you can post tool speciifc questions in the subforums of those tools as well of course.
    • Questions about terrain design can be posted in the FS2020 terrain design forum.
    • Questions about SimConnect can be posted in the SimConnect forum.

Any other question that is not specific to an aspect of development or tool can be posted in the General chat forum.

By following these guidelines we make sure that the forums remain easy to read for everybody and also that the right people can find your post to answer it.

P3D v5 Small conversion - big problem

at least forme... trying to start with with the short story. I want to fly the ERJ145 designed for P3D4.2 in P3d5, and actualy it does fly well. But there are two small issues that arenoting, hence become an exciting challenge... unfortunately, I can't help myself to give it a go!:laughing:

Please have a look at the picture. In basically the landing lights are pointing in the wrong direction and at night the iluminate the cockpit instead of the runway.
Interestling the taxi lights are ok. The problem is no matter how much I try to play with the rotation fugures, there is no way to place it right. Note that the top Attached Object window object is the landing light, number 7, the chicky one, while the window below, number 8, shows the values for the taxi light, which are correct.
Any suggestions?

Also, in addition to that and before I do anything in MCX, is there any way that I can know which version of the sim I should export it to, to ensure nothing in the model will change? It would be unberable to have to adjust all the animations etc... I don't want to convert it but to correct it.

Cheers

K

Attachments

• erj145 landing light.jpg
    erj145 landing light.jpg
    214.9 KB · Views: 32

tgibson

Resource contributor
The entry of those values in any sim later than FS2004 is really funky. I know Arno has said it's due to something in the sim, but that doesn't make it any easier.

If you want -90, try entering values like 0, -180, 90, etc. When you click the mouse away from that line the number will change and then you can see if you guessed right.

"When you click the mouse away from that line the number will change and then you can see if you guessed right." Yes that is one of the main problems. and I see you've rised it already time ago. I have tried but the problem grows when you change lets say the Y, the middle value, and click away, it changes the X value to a silly figure! I'll keep trying and report back.

Last edited:

arno

Administrator
Staff member
FSDevConf team
Resource contributor
Hi,

Are you using a recent build of MCX? About half a year ago I made changes to the attached object editor that makes entering the values easier.

For your exporting question. Importing and exporting from MCX will always modify the model, it's not possible to only change the lights. But it's probably best to export to the same sim the mdl file was designed for.

I thought I was using the latest but wasn't compleately sure as I rely on the auto update, so just in case I downloded a fresh one just now, but is exactly the same issue.

The rotation facility (the rest works like a charm as usual) is the one drives me nuts. In addition to changing values when you click away with no logic whatsoever you can use to figure out, it changes values of different parameters as well, I mean, if I change the three to let's say 0, 0, 0 and click away, it turns 90, 0, 0... any way, I'm trying to figure out the logic behind this rotation facility: it would be tremendously helpful to know:

Confirmation that xyz equals RGB
What are the numbers we change in the rotation box: degrees? and the "-" simbol what that it means?

Cheers

arno

Administrator
Staff member
FSDevConf team
Resource contributor
Hi,

You are altering the rotation in degrees around the local X, Y and Z axes of the attached object. So these are the red, green and blue axes that you see for the attached object in the preview.

I just tried with an object here, but I don't have suddenly changing values. That is something that used to happen before, but like I wrote before I changed that a while ago.

Is there a specific way I can try to reproduce it here? For example with a default P3D model?

I just gave a go to the F35 P3d5 and does the same thing, ramdom changes of the values. check if in your system hapens the same. Actually I tried with another compleately fresh instalation of the development relase 1.5

arno

Administrator
Staff member
FSDevConf team
Resource contributor
Hi,

I just tried with the P3D v4 F-35 model (I don't have v5 installed), but I think they are the same.

I can alter the rotation values of the attached objects in that model without any problems. The values always stay the way I entered them.

Downloaded again, isntalled it again and now is working. I did something wrong, but don't know what.

The logic of the values is still a bit difficult to understand though. So far I get that when you modify one value, let's say the first, red, X, and you set it to 90, the the other two axix moves, that say the plane made byt the other two axis rotates around X (red) 90 degrees. And that seems to work very often but not always. At least I've seen it constant for changes of 90 degrees or multiples, but if I want to change just a few degrees, seems to be a bit different.

In any case, the big work is done. I owe you guys an apology for wasting your time, it is aobvious was a fault at my end that I faild to identify in the forst place.

Thanks

K

Hi,

I just tried with the P3D v4 F-35 model (I don't have v5 installed), but I think they are the same.

I can alter the rotation values of the attached objects in that model without any problems. The values always stay the way I entered them.
Arno,
I have seen similar issues to what kanoasurf is reporting when I try to manipulate the rotation values of effects that are attached to model parts. I have usually managed to get the results I want by trial and error. Try changing the rotation values on the landing lights on this model and you will see what we mean. I got the angle correct by setting it before I attached the effect to the model part. If I try to adjust the rotation now all bets are off.

Gavin

Attachments

• sbai_ka-26_flat FSX.mdl
    316.1 KB · Views: 9

arno

Administrator
Staff member
FSDevConf team
Resource contributor
Thanks for the file, I'll test it tonight.

arno

Administrator
Staff member
FSDevConf team
Resource contributor
Hi,

Thanks for the test file. Now I understand what was going on. In the hierarchy editor you could see that those attached effects had multiple transformation defined. The attached object editor does not support that correctly. I have now modified the optimization logic so that these multiple transformations are always removed (it was a left over from importing that should have been removed anyway). So in the next development release it should work correctly.

Hi,

Thanks for the test file. Now I understand what was going on. In the hierarchy editor you could see that those attached effects had multiple transformation defined. The attached object editor does not support that correctly. I have now modified the optimization logic so that these multiple transformations are always removed (it was a left over from importing that should have been removed anyway). So in the next development release it should work correctly.
Awesome Arno,
thanks for this - I've been fighting these transformation issues on AI conversions for years. Didn't report it as a bug because I (wrongly apparently) assumed it was a "feature" of effects that were attached to model parts.

Gavin

Hi Gavin, glad to see you :),

Thanks Arno,

And thanks Gavin, thanks to you I haven't wasted Arno's valueble time compleately after all. A bit of relief!:)