• Which the release of FS2020 we see an explosition of activity on the forun and of course we are very happy to see this. But having all questions about FS2020 in one forum becomes a bit messy. So therefore we would like to ask you all to use the following guidelines when posting your questions:

• Tag FS2020 specific questions with the MSFS2020 tag.
    • Questions about making 3D assets can be posted in the 3D asset design forum. Either post them in the subforum of the modelling tool you use or in the general forum if they are general.
    • Questions about aircraft design can be posted in the Aircraft design forum
    • Questions about airport design can be posted in the FS2020 airport design forum. Once airport development tools have been updated for FS2020 you can post tool speciifc questions in the subforums of those tools as well of course.
    • Questions about terrain design can be posted in the FS2020 terrain design forum.
    • Questions about SimConnect can be posted in the SimConnect forum.

Any other question that is not specific to an aspect of development or tool can be posted in the General chat forum.

By following these guidelines we make sure that the forums remain easy to read for everybody and also that the right people can find your post to answer it.

FSX SODE Issue Again

Country
us-northcarolina
Just when I thought I understood how this works...I spent all day today on making an animated flag that will not just wave in the breeze but like a windsock follow the wind direction. I used the SODE Sample xml for the sample and Dietmar Loleit's animated flag. I have his permission to use it on my sceneries if (obviously) I give him the credit for it. When I upload it into the 12bpilot\programdata\SODE\Simobjects it does not appear in the Sim Object Placer. Only the folders I uploaded there last week for my Nashua airport which btw DO work at Nashua. I know that the model is a good mdl because I can open it in MDCx. I created it from the bgl which was compiled with bglcompiler to place the animated flag which also does work at the location specified. I was hoping this would be simple but obviously its not. I am attaching everything I did. Can anyone see what is wrong with it, please?

Attachments

• SODE_US_FLAG.zip
    272.7 KB · Views: 19
Country
germany
I looked at your file and found some errors.

First of all the SimObjects folder...

It is mandatory that the name of the MDL file matches the entry in the corresponding model.cfg!!!

Since the MDL file has the name AM_US_Flag.MDL,
the entry in the model.cfg must be normal= AM_US_Flag.

Continue with the sim.cfg...
The first entry in sim.cfg
[General]
Category=Viewer
Module=SODE

is missing for you.

Now for the xml file...
The model name in the xml file must match the entry title=AM_US_Flag in the sim.cfg.
So your model name in the xml should be
Model SimTitle="AM_US_Flag"...

SODE recognizes the model name in the xml and looks for it in the sim.cfg as title=xxx.
If SODE has found the correct title=xxx, it recognizes the corresponding model.

If you want to display only the wind direction, then the code <ConditionalVisibility Variable="WindSpeed" Value="0-14"/> should be removed from the xml.
This code is responsible for the dependency of an object to the wind speed.
So your flag would only be visible at a wind speed of 0 - 14 knt.
If the wind blows stronger the flag disappears.

I have not tested it yet.

I have attached the modified file.

Attachments

• SODE_US_FLAG_new.zip
    274.1 KB · Views: 16
Country
germany
Command back...
The code <ConditionalVisibility Variable="WindSpeed" Value="0-14"/> is required after all.
You only have to adjust the wind speed.
From 0-14 before to 0-99...

I also noticed that your mdl file is missing the animation of the flag.
So I added the animation again and packed everything into a new zip.

Now then tested everything and it works very well.

Attachments

• SODE_US_FLAG_new_001.zip
    275 KB · Views: 19
Country
us-northcarolina
The file works perfectly. The only issue and not your fault was that the lat/long were not correct which was easy for me to fix in FSX with <SHFT> Z and copying the location of "BOB-ORBX". Once I had done that I tested it and it worked perfectly including wind direction. After that as you can see in the snapshot I added the other two flags that are there in real world. Thank you so much for all your help.
KMYR Flags.jpg

Country
germany
Looks great!

I created another single flagpole.
And extended the xml-code for it.

Now the flag is visible only from 08:00 to 18:00.
In the rest of the time you see only the flagpole.

If you want to display several identical objects with the same variables, you only need to insert the line <Placement Lat="33.682103" Lon="-78.922611" Alt="0#AGL" Hdg="0.0"/> again with changed coordinates.

So you don't need the complete SimObjects section.

Attachments

• SODE_US_FLAG_new_002.zip
    279 KB · Views: 17
Country
us-northcarolina
Thank you again for your help. I gave you credit for it over at SOH. I will keep this and create a new flag setup for my military station scenery where that is the case with the flag. At the one I just posted, they have spotlights on the flags so that can be flown 24 hours a day. When I created the elaborate scenery for Naval Air Station Alameda in California which has been closed for the past 20 years now and is being turned into expensive housing developments by the city of Oakland, I found the actual schedule of sunset times for all year. Flags are raised every morning at 8:00 local time but are lowered (blank pole) at sunset which time varies. I created sound effect for the bugle and national anthem at the proper times from that schedule and changed it monthly since as you know even in Germany in the winter the sun goes down very early and stays up very long in the summer months. I will probably do this for myself quarterly if there is not much difference. Obviously I don't care if it goes down at 18:00, 18:03 etc. I may be crazy but I am not obsessive. LOL! Does FSX/P3D "DUSK" change per the times of day of different seasons in different parts of the world? If that is tree, can we use "DUSK" instead of 18:00 Local for the "flag being lowered"? I have written to Dietmar for his permission to share the animated model (I have his permission to share it with one of my sceneries at SOH back in 2018) with SOH. He had all kind of suggestions and questions about the Army Airfield I created. Looking for your reply and thank you again for continuing to work together on this. His animated flag package IS downloadable at AVSIM.

Country
germany
No matter if FSX or P3D...
Depending on the season, the "DUSK" setting changes the time at sunset.
It will be only very difficult to combine the visibility variable "Time" and "TimeOfDay" with each other.
It would be easier to use only "TimeOfDay" (DAWN-DUSK).

Country
us-northcarolina
The 0800 local time is fixed but the sunset varies so I will probably use the proper time month by month personally. I am a stickler for authenticity, just me. Thank you.

Country
germany
I wrote you an xml-code, with this you don't have to manually adjust the time for removing the flag at sunset.
It happens automatically.
I created it for the flag in KMYR with the following times.

DEC-FEB = 08:00-16:00
MAR-MAY;SEP-NOV = 08:00-17:00
JUN-AUG = 08:00-18:00

You can also customize and extend the code.
It should serve you as a template.

XML:
<SODE>   

<!-- Data Probe serving its clients -->
    <SimObject Name="EDP KMYR">
        <Placement Lat="33.67975" Lon="-78.928333" Alt="28" Hdg="0.0"/>
        <Model SimTitle="12bPilot_SODE_Environmental_Data_Probe">
            <EnvironmentalDataProbe ClientList="US_FLAG_001;US_FLAG_002;US_FLAG_003"/>
        </Model>
    </SimObject>

<!-- Windspeed range dependent display of different model animations -->
    <!-- Wind Direction driven rotation -->
    <SimObject Name="US_FLAG_001">
        <Placement Lat="33.682103" Lon="-78.922611" Alt="0#AGL" Hdg="0.0"/>           
        <Model SimTitle="AM_US_Flag">
            <ConditionalVisibility LogicExpression="A$B$C">
                 <Condition ID="A" Variable="WindSpeed" Value="0-99"/>
                 <Condition ID="B" Variable="MonthOfYear" Value="DEC;JAN;FEB"/>
                 <Condition ID="C" Variable="Time" Value="0800-1600LT"/>
            </ConditionalVisibility>
            <VariableDrivenRotation Variable="WindDirection" Axis="HEADING" Animated="No"/>           
        </Model>
    </SimObject>

<SimObject Name="US_FLAG_002">
                 <Condition ID="B" Variable="MonthOfYear" Value="MAR;APR;MAY;SEP;OCT;NOV"/>
                 <Condition ID="C" Variable="Time" Value="0800-1700LT"/>                 
            </ConditionalVisibility>
        </Model>
    </SimObject>

<SimObject Name="US_FLAG_003">
                 <Condition ID="B" Variable="MonthOfYear" Value="JUN;JUL;AUG"/>
                 <Condition ID="C" Variable="Time" Value="0800-1800LT"/>                 
            </ConditionalVisibility>
        </Model>
    </SimObject>   

<!-- Objects placing -->
    <SimObject Name="US_FLAG_Pole">
        <Model SimTitle="AM_Flag_Pole">
             <ConditionalVisibility Variable="Time" Value="1600-0800LT"/>   
        </Model>
    </SimObject>   

</SODE>

Country
us-northcarolina
I wrote you an xml-code, with this you don't have to manually adjust the time for removing the flag at sunset.
It happens automatically.
I created it for the flag in KMYR with the following times.

DEC-FEB = 08:00-16:00
MAR-MAY;SEP-NOV = 08:00-17:00
JUN-AUG = 08:00-18:00

You can also customize and extend the code.
It should serve you as a template.

XML:
<SODE>  

<!-- Data Probe serving its clients -->
    <SimObject Name="EDP KMYR">
        <Placement Lat="33.67975" Lon="-78.928333" Alt="28" Hdg="0.0"/>
        <Model SimTitle="12bPilot_SODE_Environmental_Data_Probe">
            <EnvironmentalDataProbe ClientList="US_FLAG_001;US_FLAG_002;US_FLAG_003"/>
        </Model>
    </SimObject>

<!-- Windspeed range dependent display of different model animations -->
    <!-- Wind Direction driven rotation -->
    <SimObject Name="US_FLAG_001">
                 <Condition ID="B" Variable="MonthOfYear" Value="DEC;JAN;FEB"/>
                 <Condition ID="C" Variable="Time" Value="0800-1600LT"/>
            </ConditionalVisibility>
        </Model>
    </SimObject>

<SimObject Name="US_FLAG_002">
                 <Condition ID="B" Variable="MonthOfYear" Value="MAR;APR;MAY;SEP;OCT;NOV"/>
                 <Condition ID="C" Variable="Time" Value="0800-1700LT"/>                
            </ConditionalVisibility>
        </Model>
    </SimObject>

<SimObject Name="US_FLAG_003">
                 <Condition ID="B" Variable="MonthOfYear" Value="JUN;JUL;AUG"/>
                 <Condition ID="C" Variable="Time" Value="0800-1800LT"/>                
            </ConditionalVisibility>
        </Model>
    </SimObject>  

<!-- Objects placing -->
    <SimObject Name="US_FLAG_Pole">
        <Model SimTitle="AM_Flag_Pole">
             <ConditionalVisibility Variable="Time" Value="1600-0800LT"/>  
        </Model>
    </SimObject>  

</SODE>

Country
us-northcarolina
Thanks Mike, can you zip this and resend as an attachment like the others. I can't copy this to paste in Notepad++ and I don't want to make any mistakes. This will work great. I will probably adjust the times later for sunset except for Dec-Feb which seems to be ok. Are these Times what you would see in Germany?

Country
germany
No, these times are only taken out of the air and derived from the time (18:00) from the first xml.

In Germany, the times of sunset between summer and autumn/winter are much further apart.

We have here in the summer (June) the longest day, there is the sunrise 04:44 and the sunset 21:31...
In autumn/winter (December), however, the shortest day is 08:17 sunrise and 15:55 sunset...

Here you can read the times of sunrise and sunset...
https://www.sunrise-and-sunset.com/de

Attachments

• SODE_US_FLAG_new_003.zip
    279.1 KB · Views: 19
Last edited:
Country
us-northcarolina
Thank you for taking the time to create this, I think it is awesome probably never done before, at least I haven't seen it anywhere. I am going to start a new thread over at Sim Outhouse and share it. I will be sure to give Dietmar Loleit credit for the animated flag and you for sure for doing most of the work correcting mine to make it work. I am going to start a new thread here about a new problem I am having with photoreal scenery and fsx scenery coordination that occured yesterday when I was going to place this new flag at a Marine CorpsBase in Hawaii.

Country
us-northcarolina
Another question...At Denton Airport in Texas, the flagpole has the U.S. Flag at the top and then below it the State Of Texas Flag. Can you do this to the animated flag mdl. The xml code with the empty pole should be the same. I would like to swap out the old waving flag and add it to the airport I did last year? Thank you. I tried in GMAX but messed it all up as usual. I couldn't figure out how to add the textures to them in GMAX.

Country
us-northcarolina
I usually try and do this myself too. I went over to GMAX and was able to clone and move (copy and paste-I learned from Google search article) the one flag down below the other flag successfully but when I exported it as an FS MDL all I got was the flag pole. I may try again and see if I can get them to export properly. THEN I have to figure out how NOT to have 2 American flags. Look too please when you get a chance. I am trying to learn as you help me. Like I did 3 different individual flags at KMYR.

Country
us-northcarolina
OK! Here is the Gmax file with both flags on the pole that I created. When I export it all I get are two flags 90 degrees to each other and no pole. Obviously I am doing something wrong so when you can get a chance fix it please and if I need to send you the Texas flag for the lower one bmps let me know. Thank you again for your help. Tell me what I was doing wrong so that I can learn please.

Attachments

• Denton Flags.zip
    20.3 KB · Views: 13
Country
germany
Is that what you mean here?

2021-9-9_13-48-9-937.jpg

However, I did not solve it with GMax, but with the MCX.
With GMax you would have to recreate the complete animation, because it is missing in your file.

If there are still questions, I can answer them only in 3 weeks, because I'm on vacation the next weeks.

I have hung the modified SODE files for you.

Attachments

• SODE_US_Texas_FLAG.zip
    401.2 KB · Views: 13
Country
us-northcarolina
Is that what you mean here?

View attachment 76793

However, I did not solve it with GMax, but with the MCX.
With GMax you would have to recreate the complete animation, because it is missing in your file.

If there are still questions, I can answer them only in 3 weeks, because I'm on vacation the next weeks.

I have hung the modified SODE files for you.
That's it exactly. You can tell me how you did it in MCDX when you get back. I hope you have a great vacation.

Richard