- Messages
- 260
- Country

Hi all,
Continuing work on my 747, I have stumbled into a problem that I struggle to find a solution for.
I want to setup the pitch trim to perform accurately according to the readings on the RFP 747-200 panel. This panel's trim gauge defaults to 7.5 units no matter what the AIR file has in it, and both the panel and the real 747 have a trim range of 15 units.
The green band for takeoff ranges 2.5 to 9.5 units, and based on some rudamentary guessing, math, and CG data, this correlates to the following takeoff trim settings based on the takeoff CG limits:
CG 33% MAC = 2.5 Units
CG 13% MAC = 9.5 Units
With some interpolation, I can determine that 7.5 units should correlate to ~18.75% CG.
Using this information, I made a saved flight with my 747 in standard conditions with a CG of 18.75% and the trim left at the starting position of 7.5. By trial and error, I can set the Cm0 Trim 0's value such that taking off in this configuration results in a nice easy climb with only very gentle back pressure to keep the nose up that can be trimmed out with just a click of the trim switch or two.
However, I can't seem to set the effectiveness, or hardly any other values or tables, correctly according to real world numbers.
Using a Cm_dt value of -2.5, and Cm0 of -0.05, causes some undesirable behavior at the extreme CG ends.
33% CG with correct trim results in a very heavy nose down moment. The elevator can easily overpower it, but letting go will cause the aircraft to pitch down more than about 3 - 4 degrees per second continuously, which seems like too much nose down moment.
13% CG with correct trim is not terrible, but more than a few pounds of back pressure causes the aircraft to pitch up excessively, which also doesn't seem realistic.
Further, in cruise with a CG of 31%, the real aircraft will trim to about 2.5 - 2.7 units. My 747, however, trims to about 5.7 - 6.2, which of course is not realistic. I assume that once I fix the takeoff trim, I can use the Delta_Cm0 due to mach graph to adjust the cruise behavior(?)
Studying Yves's document doesn't seem to yield much in the way of help for me. His equation for Cm_dt doesn't entirely work for FS9 because FS9 does not use table 1541, and beyond that his term "delta_etr [elevator_trim_limit] is confusing to me. Does this mean substitute the full travel of the stabilizer (15 units)? Or does this mean to substitute a particular value for the trim (such as the difference between a particular trim setting and 0 trim, such as 9.5 - 7.5 = 2.0)?
Continuing work on my 747, I have stumbled into a problem that I struggle to find a solution for.
I want to setup the pitch trim to perform accurately according to the readings on the RFP 747-200 panel. This panel's trim gauge defaults to 7.5 units no matter what the AIR file has in it, and both the panel and the real 747 have a trim range of 15 units.
The green band for takeoff ranges 2.5 to 9.5 units, and based on some rudamentary guessing, math, and CG data, this correlates to the following takeoff trim settings based on the takeoff CG limits:
CG 33% MAC = 2.5 Units
CG 13% MAC = 9.5 Units
With some interpolation, I can determine that 7.5 units should correlate to ~18.75% CG.
Using this information, I made a saved flight with my 747 in standard conditions with a CG of 18.75% and the trim left at the starting position of 7.5. By trial and error, I can set the Cm0 Trim 0's value such that taking off in this configuration results in a nice easy climb with only very gentle back pressure to keep the nose up that can be trimmed out with just a click of the trim switch or two.
However, I can't seem to set the effectiveness, or hardly any other values or tables, correctly according to real world numbers.
Using a Cm_dt value of -2.5, and Cm0 of -0.05, causes some undesirable behavior at the extreme CG ends.
33% CG with correct trim results in a very heavy nose down moment. The elevator can easily overpower it, but letting go will cause the aircraft to pitch down more than about 3 - 4 degrees per second continuously, which seems like too much nose down moment.
13% CG with correct trim is not terrible, but more than a few pounds of back pressure causes the aircraft to pitch up excessively, which also doesn't seem realistic.
Further, in cruise with a CG of 31%, the real aircraft will trim to about 2.5 - 2.7 units. My 747, however, trims to about 5.7 - 6.2, which of course is not realistic. I assume that once I fix the takeoff trim, I can use the Delta_Cm0 due to mach graph to adjust the cruise behavior(?)
Studying Yves's document doesn't seem to yield much in the way of help for me. His equation for Cm_dt doesn't entirely work for FS9 because FS9 does not use table 1541, and beyond that his term "delta_etr [elevator_trim_limit] is confusing to me. Does this mean substitute the full travel of the stabilizer (15 units)? Or does this mean to substitute a particular value for the trim (such as the difference between a particular trim setting and 0 trim, such as 9.5 - 7.5 = 2.0)?
Last edited:
