• Which the release of FS2020 we see an explosition of activity on the forun and of course we are very happy to see this. But having all questions about FS2020 in one forum becomes a bit messy. So therefore we would like to ask you all to use the following guidelines when posting your questions:

• Tag FS2020 specific questions with the MSFS2020 tag.
    • Questions about making 3D assets can be posted in the 3D asset design forum. Either post them in the subforum of the modelling tool you use or in the general forum if they are general.
    • Questions about aircraft design can be posted in the Aircraft design forum
    • Questions about airport design can be posted in the FS2020 airport design forum. Once airport development tools have been updated for FS2020 you can post tool speciifc questions in the subforums of those tools as well of course.
    • Questions about terrain design can be posted in the FS2020 terrain design forum.
    • Questions about SimConnect can be posted in the SimConnect forum.

Any other question that is not specific to an aspect of development or tool can be posted in the General chat forum.

By following these guidelines we make sure that the forums remain easy to read for everybody and also that the right people can find your post to answer it.

P3D v4 [SOLVED] How to do animations ?

consta

Resource contributor
Country
cyprus
Hi everyone , so i wanted to make an animated beacon ( on top of ATC Tower that rotates) . I have the animation set from 0 to 100 frame of the beacon rotating . I was wondering if there is a guide / tutorial on how to select tags or the things to make the animation work in simulator .
I tried playing with the animation manager that comes in the P3D SDK Plugin for 3DS Max but i have no idea what to do in it , though i tried tagging myself without much knowledge i was able to do it . I tagged it to Prop0_slow , then i clicked create > i put 0 in start and
100 in end below the object anim box and clicked update sel , however when i import it in MCX and i click the animation button it doesnt do anything neither it lets me seek with the Slider next to the Play button in MCX .

1550247609766.png

1550247570481.png

consta

Resource contributor
Country
cyprus
I have now figured out how to finally get them into MCX and they are playing as how they should, however when i place the object the animations are not working in Simulator now

Country
us-arizona
I can help with aircraft, but scenery is not my strong point. No idea how beacons function. I know its ambient, but not sure how its all set up. Glad you got it working...

consta

Resource contributor
Country
cyprus
I can help with aircraft, but scenery is not my strong point. No idea how beacons function. I know its ambient, but not sure how its all set up. Glad you got it working...
I got them loaded in MCX still cant figure out how it will work in the simulator they still pose static in the simulator , idk if i have to do any other particular thing than placing the object and exporting a BGL

=rk=

Resource contributor
Country
us-washington
Hi, you’ll want to explore and create keyframe animations. A rotating wheel or object is about the simplest, so you should have no problem nailing it, once on the right track. Take a look at this tutorial to get an idea:

Once you have the beacon actually spinning in 3ds Max and then MCX, the basic steps you’ve described should get you going in the sim.

I use Sketchup and FSDS, so my work flow will be different, but basically I get the animated model into MCX in a format it can compile, mine is .fsc and yours will be either .3ds or .max. Then from there you want to tag it with the appropriate label, ambient as constant works for flags, windmills, etc. export it as a .mdl for placement, or add location data and export as a scenery .bgl.

I think that’s most of the main steps.

Country
france
@Kolibri for my sceneries, i use the ambient tag:
animate your part, frame by frame
then just use ambient tag and export
this must work

don't care if MCX shows that the animation is getting an offset, just export, the SIM will handle it better than MCX

=rk=

Resource contributor
Country
us-washington
If your animation is an attached object with an offset, try disabling “draw call batching.”

The thing about about keyframe animations is that you want to allow the render engine to “tween,” the scene between the established keyframes. For your beacon, a starting keyframe and ending keyframe at zero degrees is pretty much essential. You could pick any other number in the 360° circle. Starting from zero degrees with keyframe #0, you’ll want keyframe #1 at 90°, #2 at 180°, etc. this way you will have smooth 90° arcs that the engine can interpolate. I think that’s the right word.

consta

Resource contributor
Country
cyprus
Thanks alot guys its finally fixed by setting different key frames between 0 to 360 and tagging the animation to "Ambient" . thanks @=rk= and @RED COOL

Country
unitedstates
Hey everyone,
I know this is an old forum, but I I've been looking to get into creating animated (moving) models for P3D4. However, if I understand correctly after viewing Autodesk's site, 3DS max - the typical software used for this - costs over $1000 a month to use it. I'm in no position to spend that kind of money when I just want to make the models for personal use. Is there a comparable software that can be used to make moving models?
Regards,
Kevin Davis

=rk=

Resource contributor
Country
us-washington
Sketchup/FSDesign Studio

The view kind of jumps around because I am trying to zoom in on my mirrored sunglasses. This is development video of work I did for a commercial addon (they ultimately nixxed my mirrored glasses).