• Which the release of FS2020 we see an explosition of activity on the forun and of course we are very happy to see this. But having all questions about FS2020 in one forum becomes a bit messy. So therefore we would like to ask you all to use the following guidelines when posting your questions:

• Tag FS2020 specific questions with the MSFS2020 tag.
    • Questions about making 3D assets can be posted in the 3D asset design forum. Either post them in the subforum of the modelling tool you use or in the general forum if they are general.
    • Questions about aircraft design can be posted in the Aircraft design forum
    • Questions about airport design can be posted in the FS2020 airport design forum. Once airport development tools have been updated for FS2020 you can post tool speciifc questions in the subforums of those tools as well of course.
    • Questions about terrain design can be posted in the FS2020 terrain design forum.
    • Questions about SimConnect can be posted in the SimConnect forum.

Any other question that is not specific to an aspect of development or tool can be posted in the General chat forum.

By following these guidelines we make sure that the forums remain easy to read for everybody and also that the right people can find your post to answer it.

FSX Taxi Trainer

Country
us-northcarolina
I have created a Taxi Trainer SNJ which was used at NAAS Corry Field. The aircraft and texture itself are fine. I don't want it to take off airborne which it could/didn't do but remained on the ground taxiing around the airport training student aviators. So...I tried creating a SODE simobject from the model and the aircraft.cfg and then wrote xml code to try and do that. Here is the simobject and xml. I am trying to learn how to do this and was successful this evening to get it onto the apron, but it sits even not on its tailwheel and there is no taxiing. Also the landing gear is retracted. There IS animation of the pilot. I was successful to put the mower tractor onto the field so I know that SODE is communicating. Here is a shot of the trainer aircraft at NAAS Corry and then a shot of the SODE placed trainer. How do I get the SODE to sit properly. I have tried all afternoon with no results.
Image_211116_175157.jpg

SODE Taxi Trainer.jpg

SNJ Taxi Trainer

Last edited:
OK all day spent reading SODE Developers; trying everything imaginable. This is just not happening unless one of you can tell me what's going wrong. Ignore the SNJ Taxi Trainer file above. I have made so many changes finding out that it is all wrong. If you want to see if you can figure it out PM me and I will send you the latest simobject and xml. I was able to get it at the proper angle by "rotate" in MDCx but landing gear has only shown down twice. After I saw in the SODE Guide that I need to have the Category=Viewer and added that to the sim.cfg it showed down but it was too hign because of altitude in xml.cfg THEN when I fixed that, the gear was back up again. This is proving to be extremely challenging a project. I read that even after I get the gear to stay down all the time I have to program the animation for this to move and how am I going to get it to follow the taxiways? That looks so confusing I just may give this up period.

Is this a flyable aircraft? I'm guessing SODE doesn't know anything about the aircraft parameters including gear animation (I'm suspecting the gear up config is at the start of the animation?)

If you can you should export the mdl with no animations in the position you want. Of course to get it moving around you'll have to animate it in a path where you want it to go. It's not going to start taxiing by itself (or avoid other planes).

Yes it IS a flyable aircraft. It taxis around perfectly as AI which I did yesterday but takes off which its not supposed to do,. I just opened it up in Model Converter X latest version which I use a lot. That is how I was able to add the custom nosegear to keep the student from nosediving and damaging the prop. Anyway, I ONLY want the landing gear to stay down NOT lose all the animations. I watched a video by ARNO and also read a couple articles of his enhancing the object heirarchy and learned that I could reverse the animations. So...I reversed the animation of the landing gear but forgot the gear doors. Went back in and reversed animation of the gear doors and I have the aircraft exactly as I want it to be with all the other animations in proper order, the ailerons, flaps etc are all up as they should be to taxi. Now I have to go back to the internet and find the videos that tell me how to animate it AND get it to follow the taxiways. The lawn mowers and snowplows that I used to teach me how to get here can go randomly but the taxi trainer can't. Wish me luck.

Last edited:
If you want to use it as an AI aircraft and you don't want it to take off, then you have to modify the aircraft.cfg so that the aircraft can only taxi.

If you want it to move around as a 3D model, then this

would be a possibility.
But very complex!

I would be satisfied for it to just move around as an AI aircraft and not take off which is I imagine what it did. How do I modify the aircraft.cfg to do this? Right now I just have it parked as a static object in ADEx.

I have now tested it with a modified aircraft.cfg.
The plane does not take off, but taxis to the next airport, which is specified in the traffic file.

The better way is to make a ground vehicle from the aircraft model and then create the traffic file with this software (http://lc0277.gratisim.fr/boat/).

I just want it to taxi around KNCR not to any other airport. Will KNCR to KNCR in AIFP3 work? What is the modification to the aircraft.cfg to keep it on the ground?

It will not work because the aircraft will then do a pattern turn.
But you can test it yourself.

Here my used aircraft.cfg and the corresponding ai_ground.air ...

In my eyes, the best way is through a GroundVehicles.
So convert the aircraft FSX-technically into a car.
And then create the traffic.bgl via the AIBTC - AI Boat Traffic Compiler.
With AIBTC the route to be driven is defined in Google Earth.
So the plane can start in a hangar and be parked in the same hangar again.

Attachments

• AI_Ground.zip
    9.4 KB · Views: 97
I just realized that I forgot to mention something.
Namely...
This sign ----> in the arcraft.cfg must be replaced by the entries from the original aircraft.cfg...

I will try the aircraft.cfg to see what happens at the airport. I know how to use the aiboat traffic from NAS Alameda but it has been awhile. I have all the docs printed out in a folder so I can "play" with that, too. Thank you. I will post the results here later on. Have a very Merry Christmas.

Back