• Which the release of FS2020 we see an explosition of activity on the forun and of course we are very happy to see this. But having all questions about FS2020 in one forum becomes a bit messy. So therefore we would like to ask you all to use the following guidelines when posting your questions:

    • Tag FS2020 specific questions with the MSFS2020 tag.
    • Questions about making 3D assets can be posted in the 3D asset design forum. Either post them in the subforum of the modelling tool you use or in the general forum if they are general.
    • Questions about aircraft design can be posted in the Aircraft design forum
    • Questions about airport design can be posted in the FS2020 airport design forum. Once airport development tools have been updated for FS2020 you can post tool speciifc questions in the subforums of those tools as well of course.
    • Questions about terrain design can be posted in the FS2020 terrain design forum.
    • Questions about SimConnect can be posted in the SimConnect forum.

    Any other question that is not specific to an aspect of development or tool can be posted in the General chat forum.

    By following these guidelines we make sure that the forums remain easy to read for everybody and also that the right people can find your post to answer it.

FSX Terrain Image vs Polygon Images

Messages
35
Country
australia
Hi,

I've been working on my first terrain project for several days and I've begun to realize that using a real terrain image can look pretty bad, even/especially when you put buildings and vegetation on it.

Do I edit the image, pasting grass and soil over the top in each section?
If I lay landclass polygons and roads everywhere instead...
  • Will those poly's show seasonal variation?
  • And how do I add night lighting (street lights, house lights etc)?
Would a mix of real and poly look bad?
Is there another way I can do this?

eprsbq.jpg

2uzxp54.jpg

sll5eh.jpg

1zzhniq.jpg


Cheers,
Andrew
 
Hi,

Whether to use aerial imagery or not depends a bit on what imagery you can find for your area. Is the resolution high enough for the scenery you want to create for example? And often you will have to edit the color balance of the imagery to make sure it looks good in the sim. So it's quite normal you have to do some editing on it.

How did you create your imagery? Which sources did you use?
 
Thanks Arno.. I used SBuilderX at LOD16, images from Google tile server.

I'm also experimenting with placing individual trees via ADE and poly regions via Annotator.
 
Place your individual trees with annotator as well, otherwise they will not change with the seasons.
 
I hope you are aware you can use the Google images only for personal usage and not distribute them.

The quality differs per area (resolution and colours). But I think with sbuilderx it's harder to edit the colours. That's easier when using resample directly.
 
Arno,
Does that mean I can't share on upload, like to the flightsim.com library? If not, is there a tile server that allows free sharing?
Thanks for the heads up.
 
Indeed you can't upload google images to sites like flightsim.com.

What area are you working on? It really differs per country if free sources are available or not.
 
I havent found any good freely distributable imagery for Australia unfortunately. Its a shame as I would really like to develop some scenery closer to home. If you find anything please let me know.

Sent from my GT-P5210 using Tapatalk
 
Back
Top