• Which the release of FS2020 we see an explosition of activity on the forun and of course we are very happy to see this. But having all questions about FS2020 in one forum becomes a bit messy. So therefore we would like to ask you all to use the following guidelines when posting your questions:

• Tag FS2020 specific questions with the MSFS2020 tag.
    • Questions about making 3D assets can be posted in the 3D asset design forum. Either post them in the subforum of the modelling tool you use or in the general forum if they are general.
    • Questions about aircraft design can be posted in the Aircraft design forum
    • Questions about airport design can be posted in the FS2020 airport design forum. Once airport development tools have been updated for FS2020 you can post tool speciifc questions in the subforums of those tools as well of course.
    • Questions about terrain design can be posted in the FS2020 terrain design forum.
    • Questions about SimConnect can be posted in the SimConnect forum.

Any other question that is not specific to an aspect of development or tool can be posted in the General chat forum.

By following these guidelines we make sure that the forums remain easy to read for everybody and also that the right people can find your post to answer it.

Testing Alternate Package Compilation

rhumbaflappy

Administrator
Staff member
Resource contributor
This method has been around for a while. Essentially is it this as a batch or CMD file:

Code:
D:\Programs\Steam\steamapps\common\MicrosoftFlightSimulator\FlightSimulator -I ";" BuildAssetPackages "D:\MSFS_Projects\Tazovskiy\Tazovskiy-Project.xml" "D:\MSFS_Projects\Tazovskiy" "D:\MSFS_Projects\Tazovskiy"

Flight simulator EXE location + -I ";" BuildAssetPackages + Package XML location + temp file output + Packages file output

On my system, with the Steam MSFS, this allows me to compile a package simultaneously with the sim running. So I can be flying and still compile a project at the same time. Or, I can have a project open in DevMode and compile a modelLib project at the same time. Extending the batch file, I could copy the new model package to the Community folder as well.

What I'm asking, is could some other members try to compile a project this way with the sim already running? I'd like to see results with both Steam and MS store members if possible.

Hi,
On a Microsoft Store version, I just tried the following two commands in a MSDOS windows with MSFS running (plane on the runway ready to take off):

W:\MSFS\frenchvfr-menestrel-hn433>"C:\Program Files\WindowsApps\Microsoft.FlightSimulator_1.15.8.0_x64__8wekyb3d8bbwe\FlightSimulator.exe" -I BuildAssetPackages "W:\MSFS\frenchvfr-menestrel-hn433\HN433AircraftProject.xml" "W:\MSFS\frenchvfr-menestrel-hn433\_Temp" "W:\MSFS\frenchvfr-menestrel-hn433\Package"

W:\MSFS\frenchvfr-menestrel-hn433>"C:\Program Files\WindowsApps\Microsoft.FlightSimulator_1.15.8.0_x64__8wekyb3d8bbwe\FlightSimulator.exe" -I BuildAssetPackages "W:\MSFS\frenchvfr-menestrel-hn433\HN433AircraftProject.xml"
with no success :confused: and no error message but MSFS don't crash !

With all securities that Windows have on WindowsApps, I don't think to succeed ... My WindowsApps has "basics Windows rights" (no appropriation).

rhumbaflappy

Administrator
Staff member
Resource contributor
Thanks Didier. Could you try once more with the Task Manager open. You might need to sort by CPU usage. Any usage over 6% could be the FlightSimulator trying to run.
I was afraid the MS Store version might not run by the command line. I can type: D:\Programs\Steam\steamapps\common\MicrosoftFlightSimulator\FlightSimulator and the sim will start normally. (I have steam active at Windows startup).

Last edited:
Studing the command line, I have noted that I have omitted the ";" so I will try the test again ;)
- MSFS rnning, aircraft ready to start at CYMX,
- Task Manager open, MSFS take 19% of CPU and 99% of GPU

In my directory "W:\MSFS\frenchvfr-menestrel-hn433" where the XML project is stored, I have only
- HN433AircraftProject.xml
- PackageSources
- PackageDefinitions

Lauching the script manually in a MSDOS windows (created via the Task Manager with Administrator rights) to see that is happening:
- nothing change on Task manager => 19%

I try again with aircraft flying and nothing change. (22% of CPU before and after)
I try without the two parameters (name of the Package and directory Tem) : idem !

No new directory are created in "W:\MSFS\frenchvfr-menestrel-hn433".
I try to take a glance in the MSFS 's Console: nothing appear in relation with the command line.

Sorry :banghead:

I have analyse a standard compilation of mine and remarks two things: my parameters are incorrects because directories doen't exist so I change my command like this:

W:\MSFS\frenchvfr-menestrel-hn433>"C:\Program Files\WindowsApps\Microsoft.FlightSimulator_1.15.8.0_x64__8wekyb3d8bbwe\FlightSimulator.exe" -I ";" BuildAssetPackages "W:\MSFS\frenchvfr-menestrel-hn433\HN433AircraftProject.xml" "W:\MSFS\frenchvfr-menestrel-hn433" "W:\MSFS\frenchvfr-menestrel-hn433"
Because _Temp and Package didn't exist : they are created by the compilation process.

An other try with a MSDOS widows and Administration rights and this new command (your script was good in your first post, it's me ... :rolleyes: ) and after one/two minutes I will see _PackageInt and Package appear.
1) On the Task Manager, I don't see FlightSimulator.exe process (I was not using MSFS in the same time)
2) Nothing appear to the screen when the process is done

However, the trick also works on MSFS Store version !

[EDIT] Adding Force Console at the end of the command allow to display a MSDOS windows and it's not necessary to run the bat with Administration rights.

rhumbaflappy

Administrator
Staff member
Resource contributor
When you check the Packages folder, the package is built? If so, Can you delete _PackageInt and Packages folders, start up the sim and go to an airport, and then run the command to see if it will build the package? That would confirm we can build packages outside the sim, while it is running.

rhumbaflappy

Administrator
Staff member
Resource contributor
Thanks Didier for your help. The Force Console at the end of the command is a good catch. The reason I persist with this is: I received some feedback that this does not work for everyone, and the indication was that the MS Store version could not use this. Good to see that it works.

I think this may be of use if you wish to fly and develop at the same time. Also, it may help with viewing changes to a model library without having to exit the sim... yet to be tested. At any rate, this is much faster than having to load the sim, load the project, Clean All, and Build All....