• Which the release of FS2020 we see an explosition of activity on the forun and of course we are very happy to see this. But having all questions about FS2020 in one forum becomes a bit messy. So therefore we would like to ask you all to use the following guidelines when posting your questions:

    • Tag FS2020 specific questions with the MSFS2020 tag.
    • Questions about making 3D assets can be posted in the 3D asset design forum. Either post them in the subforum of the modelling tool you use or in the general forum if they are general.
    • Questions about aircraft design can be posted in the Aircraft design forum
    • Questions about airport design can be posted in the FS2020 airport design forum. Once airport development tools have been updated for FS2020 you can post tool speciifc questions in the subforums of those tools as well of course.
    • Questions about terrain design can be posted in the FS2020 terrain design forum.
    • Questions about SimConnect can be posted in the SimConnect forum.

    Any other question that is not specific to an aspect of development or tool can be posted in the General chat forum.

    By following these guidelines we make sure that the forums remain easy to read for everybody and also that the right people can find your post to answer it.

Trouble setting up to tweak asms

Messages
205
Country
unitedkingdom
I use Gmax 1.2 and I'm having trouble setting it up to tweak a Gmax poly to become a ground poly. (for FS2004)

I've changed my makemdl.cfg (with the FS2004 SDK version of MakeMDL.exe) so that it saves the asm files, and I can go into them, but they look like this with no ADDOBJ line to change.

; compile with BGLC /MDL C:\Documents and Settings\Chris\My Documents\Madeira\finished models\apron.asm
db 'R','I','F','F' ; RIFF file identifier
dd bgl_data_end - $ - 4 ; size of RIFF data
db 'M','D','L','9' ; file identifire (FS9 model)

db 'M','D','L','H'
dd visual_model_header_end - $ - 4
dd visual_model_header_end - $ - 4
dd 0
dd 0
dd 551
dd 0
dd 0
dd 152
db 'F','S','8','0'
dd 2304
visual_model_header_end label dword

db 'I','S','F','T'
dd ver_end - $ - 4
db "MakeMDL - FS90 (9.00.030612.02)",0
ver_end label word

bounding_box_riff_start label word
db 'B','B','O','X'
dd bounding_box_riff_end - $ - 4
real4 -0.017, 0.000, -541.246
real4 99.146, 0.000, 395.885
bounding_box_riff_end label word


model_outside label BGLCODE
model_shadow label BGLCODE
model_inside label BGLCODE
crash_riff_start label BGLCODE
db 'C','R','A','S'
dd crash_riff_end - $ - 4
BGL_CRASH_START model_crash_end, 551
BGL_CRASH_OCTTREE crash_end_1
dw CRASH_FLAG_BUILDING_PLANE ; crash type
dw 1 ; nodes used
real4 -0.017147,0.000000,-541.245972 ; Box x,y,z
real4 312.377075,312.377075,937.131226 ; Box w,h,d
dw 1, 1, 1, 1, 1, 1, 1, 1 ; base offset into node table, one for each top-level branch
; So if you take branch 2 (count from 0), you add 1 to indices you encounter on that branch
; Nodes (254=empty 255=full, else an index into branch)
OCTTREE_NODE 254, 254, 254, 254, 254, 254, 254, 254 ; node 0
crash_end_1 label word
model_crash_end label word
BGL_RETURN
crash_riff_end label BGLCODE

exterior_riff_start_0 label BGLCODE
db 'E','X','T','E'
dd exterior_riff_end_0 - $ - 4
LOD_0L label BGLCODE
include C:\Documents and Settings\Chris\My Documents\Madeira\finished models\apron_0.asm
exterior_riff_end_0 label BGLCODE



bgl_data_end label BGLCODE


I tried using MDLcommander instead to export things but when I put in in the plugins and chaged it to makeMDL.exe, I get the message

"MakeMDL was not found, or failed to convert the model specified in 'C\:......<etc>' to a .MDL file. Check your system path to ensire MakeMDL is on it."

I've checked it and it IS there, and it IS called MakeMDL.exe. I get this error if I replace it with the MakeMDL.exe from the FS2002 SDK as well.
 
Have you changed the original makeMDL.exe to mkMDL.exe (along with makeMDL.parts.xml to mkmdl.parts.xml) and changed MDLCommander.exe to makeMDL.exe ?
 
Hi,

The tweak where you need to add an OBJCAT command is only for Fs2002. This does not work with the new Fs2004 structure. If you search this forum you will find a few threads about making ground polygons.
 
arno said:
Hi,

The tweak where you need to add an OBJCAT command is only for Fs2002. This does not work with the new Fs2004 structure. If you search this forum you will find a few threads about making ground polygons.

Does this mean that it will not work in FS2004 at all, or just that you have to use the FS2002 SDK to compile it all? I'm intending to have the ground object as a separate .BGL file.
 
It means that you will have to make the ASM file with the old gamepack, as that has a different structure. This old command does no longer work with the Fs2004 scenery structure.

If you want to make a seperate BGL file anyway, then using the old gamepack is not a big problem.
 
I've no problems using the FS2002 SDK if I need to, if only just to make the .bgl for the ground poly. I can always switch back to the FS2004 files (which currently work for me) to make the 3D scenery.

OK, I completely cleared out my plugins folder, so that the only FS-related thing in there was MakeMDL.exe from the FS2002 SDK, (the instrictions for using this just say to copy this file into your gmax\plugins folder) and now when I try to export a model, the option to save as a .MDL file isn't even there.... :(

Its not because I'm using Gmax 1.2 is it?
 
Hi,

First, don't follow the Fs2002 install instructions. With the new Fs2004 gamepack comes a much better install instruction that also tells you how you can use both gamepacks together. But don't put anything in the general plugins folder of GMax, it is much better to place it in the gamepacks plugin folders.

With the old gamepack you will not get a MDL file for your scenery, in the Fs2002 gamepack you export as a BGL file right away (with the option to keep the ASM sources). Please also use the latest version of MakeMDL for Fs2002 (available from MS), as it includes the "keep files" option by default.
 
I couldn't find the FS2004 Gamepack at all when I googled it :rolleyes: so I've decided just to use the zbias tweak with the FS2004 gamepack, and that seems to be working for now. :D

Thanks for the help - I'm sure I'll be on here again soon....
 
If you mean the Fs2002 gamepack instead of the Fs2004 gamepack, then it is normal that you can't download it. Certain files are only available with the Fs2002 Pro version (so on the CD).
 
Back
Top