• Which the release of FS2020 we see an explosition of activity on the forun and of course we are very happy to see this. But having all questions about FS2020 in one forum becomes a bit messy. So therefore we would like to ask you all to use the following guidelines when posting your questions:

    • Tag FS2020 specific questions with the MSFS2020 tag.
    • Questions about making 3D assets can be posted in the 3D asset design forum. Either post them in the subforum of the modelling tool you use or in the general forum if they are general.
    • Questions about aircraft design can be posted in the Aircraft design forum
    • Questions about airport design can be posted in the FS2020 airport design forum. Once airport development tools have been updated for FS2020 you can post tool speciifc questions in the subforums of those tools as well of course.
    • Questions about terrain design can be posted in the FS2020 terrain design forum.
    • Questions about SimConnect can be posted in the SimConnect forum.

    Any other question that is not specific to an aspect of development or tool can be posted in the General chat forum.

    By following these guidelines we make sure that the forums remain easy to read for everybody and also that the right people can find your post to answer it.

Why tweaking code for gmax ground polys?

mcq

Messages
46
Country
germany
Hello!

As you've seen, I've asked about how to make aprons.

Now I made a small stone pawed runway with gmax; I just named the material zbias_* and it works!

Now I asked me why do you tweak the code for this reason, too?

Marcel
 
Hi Marcel,

There are a few reasons for that:

  1. If you don't make the ground polygons with the ADDCAT command they will cast a shadow and your aircraft does not cast one on them
  2. People have reported that the ZBIAS gives a lot of trouble, like buildings sinking into your ground polygon
 
I tested it and there was the following strange effect:

If I HAVE ground shadows (in FS), then it is like you've said.

But if I DON'T HAVE ground shadows, THEN the aircraft casts shadows on the object...

But on the other side, I will agree, the tweaking method is more elegant; but: am I right, that there is no possibility to make an XML-implementable object from an FS2002-gamepack compiled gmax object?
 
Yes, that is correct. The Fs2002 gamepack objects use different code and can not be placed with XML code (they export as a BGL right away).

I think the main problem here is that we are trying to do things that the GMax gamepack was never designed for. If you look at the default scenery, MS does not uise 3D objects to place ground polygons. They use the XML code or VTP polygons. The new MDL/XML object don't seem to well suited for ground polygons and therefore the best advice at the moment is to use the old gamepack for them.
 
That's of course right, but I think, the new MS-methods like VTP and XML will NEVER be satisfying, therefore they are too bad.

2. Question: the only way making a scenery object by FS2002 gamepack is making a bgl-file (or compile a tweaked asm-file to a bgl-file) with "hard-coded" coordinates, isn't it? (I mean, you cannot make a macro from it, can you?)
 
mcq said:
That's of course right, but I think, the new MS-methods like VTP and XML will NEVER be satisfying, therefore they are too bad.

True, at the moment they don't have the resolution or flexibility we would like for addon scenery. I hope this is improved in the next version of Fs.

mcq said:
Question: the only way making a scenery object by FS2002 gamepack is making a bgl-file (or compile a tweaked asm-file to a bgl-file) with "hard-coded" coordinates, isn't it? (I mean, you cannot make a macro from it, can you?)

Yes, you can put the GMax object in a library with FsRegen and then use a macro to place that library object. Have a look at the tutorial I wrote about it. It also explains the different API code needed for ground polygons (you don't have to tweak the ASM files in that case).
 
Back
Top