• Which the release of FS2020 we see an explosition of activity on the forun and of course we are very happy to see this. But having all questions about FS2020 in one forum becomes a bit messy. So therefore we would like to ask you all to use the following guidelines when posting your questions:

• Tag FS2020 specific questions with the MSFS2020 tag.
    • Questions about making 3D assets can be posted in the 3D asset design forum. Either post them in the subforum of the modelling tool you use or in the general forum if they are general.
    • Questions about aircraft design can be posted in the Aircraft design forum
    • Questions about airport design can be posted in the FS2020 airport design forum. Once airport development tools have been updated for FS2020 you can post tool speciifc questions in the subforums of those tools as well of course.
    • Questions about terrain design can be posted in the FS2020 terrain design forum.
    • Questions about SimConnect can be posted in the SimConnect forum.

Any other question that is not specific to an aspect of development or tool can be posted in the General chat forum.

By following these guidelines we make sure that the forums remain easy to read for everybody and also that the right people can find your post to answer it.

FS2004 Wrong units after reload (ft <-> M)

Country
germany
Hi Don,
I get false numbers after reload project to do further changes in approach lights.

I had entered all numbers in "M".
I saved and compiled, all fine in FS9.

But after reloading the project to fine adjust some lights, all numbers are in ft (the sheet says "Meter")
All is in the picture:

AFLT1.jpg

gadgets

Resource contributor
Country
ca-britishcolumbia
Assuming the runway is 200' (60m) wide, those numbers don't represent feet. It appears light spacing in the approach array is about 150' (45 m). yet the spacing is shown as 9 (m).

It would seem those numbers are the result of some unintended conversion(s).

I'll need the project folder for this airport and the airport .bgl to investigate further. If you have a backup(s) for the project folder dating back to before your changes, that may be helpful in reconstructing the series of events.

Country
germany
The values in the sheet are all changed.
I typed 30 M, was saved and compiled correct, but after reloading the value is 9 (30ft -> 9m).
It looks like you assumed the saved value are feet.
(the runway is 45m wide)

Sorry, the files have to wait till tomorrow.

gadgets

Resource contributor
Country
ca-britishcolumbia
The underlying cause of the issue is that, with meters as your selected dimension units, you added a Feet-dimensioned Custom ALS approach system. AFLT should have been able to handle that - and did on the initial import, saving and reloading the projects resulted in a need conversion either being missed or being done twice.

Rather than try to maintain two dimensional systems in the project data, I am implementing an alternate approach. I have now dimensioned all approach arrays in both feet and meters. In the case of arrays normally dimensioned in feet, e.g. ALSF2, the metric dimensions are based on the equivalence of 60M vs 200', not an exact conversion, but one that will yield familiar results. The reverse concept is used for Calvert arrays.

So. if you have chosen the metric system for your project and import ALSF2, your display will reflect the metric equivalent dimensions.

If you change your dimensional system for a given project, existing data will be maintained in the previous dimensional system.

It will be a day or two before I'm able to release.

gadgets

Resource contributor
Country
ca-britishcolumbia
I have a solution, but it would mean you have to declare the desired unit (ft/m) before creating a, for example, approach. If you later wanted to change the units, you'd have to delete and re-create the approach. So, I'd rather find the underlying causze of the issue in the current operation.

Do you recall what you did immediately before you noticed the corrupted dimensions? In particular, did you attempt to change units. (It app[ears what happened is two successive conversions from Ft to m.

Country
germany
Sorry Don, I cannot remember what I did immediatly before I noticed the corrupted dimensions.
Is it important if FS9 is running or not?
I remember yesterday just after loading AFLT the dimensions were wrong, but I changed all values to the correct ones, saved and compiled.
Today, just before I wrote this I loaded AFLT and the values were correct (just to check the values, no further changes made).

gadgets

Resource contributor
Country
ca-britishcolumbia
Guenther, I'm having second thoughts about making my proposed change without having some idea of what's wrong with the current version,. That change would, perhaps unnecessarily, limit the functionality of AFLT and force a change in procedure on all users.

You've been using AFLT - apparently problem-free (at least from this problem) for some time. To my recollection, no one else has reported this issue. I have tried a myriad of ways to force the issue since you reported it with no success. So, at the very least, it would seem not to arise frequently.

I'm asking your forbearance on this one. Please continue to use the current version and "keep an eye out" for the issue Should it happen again, please try to remember what you physically did prior to the event. (That may help me isolate the underlying cause.) Do not save the placement data. Just zip up your project folder, and add aflt.ini and the airport .bgl and send the lot to me. It would be even better if you are able to do this while AFLT was still open. Should that be the case, then, after doing the above, close AFLT and add AFLT.ini and project.ini (in the project folder) to the zip. That way, I'll have both "before" and "after" views.

gadgets

Resource contributor
Country
ca-britishcolumbia
It's possible I fixed the issue by accident. While investigating, if found and fixed what I thought was merely a "house-keeping" issue. Now I'm not so sure. The attached includes that fix.

It also includes an improvement I was planning to release later. The current release defines all dimensions in Ft, and converts as necessary if the chosen units are meters. This can result in slight discrepancies from what the actual metric value would be. This new release defines all approach parameters in both Ft and meters and pick the one that matches the then-current dimensional system. Those pesky discrepancies only occur should the user select a different dimensional system. Please tell me what you think of the new system.

I plan to extend this new concept to all other elements, e.g. PAPI/VASIs. But, at the moment, it's only implemented for approaches.

Attachments

• AFLT4506.zip
    320.6 KB · Views: 106

gadgets

Resource contributor
Country
ca-britishcolumbia
During further testing this morning, I realized I had commented out some code yesterday to facilitate my testing and had neglected to re-instate it.

Please use the attached.

Attachments

• AFLT4507.zip
    320.7 KB · Views: 109
Country
germany
No luck with 4507...
I tested with a new project ETSF.
When I opened the reference bgl I got "AFLT Input Error" twice. Clicked twice "Okay"
Then I selected main runway and "right clicked ADD/Edit Approach lights"
Without changing anything I clicked "Place Lights" and got next error (see pictures...)
ETSF1.jpg

ETSF2.jpg

If you need the files, I can send them by email.

Country
germany
A small error found: VASI23 become VASI32 (2 rows of 3 lights become 3 rows of 2 lights).
It was easy to correct with AFLT4.

gadgets

Resource contributor
Country
ca-britishcolumbia
Re your first post today, that's a very different situation from earlier. I don't know what you mean by "opening the reference bgl". Please clarify.

And YES, I always need the Project folder and the airport .bgl. Please send them automatically when you report an issue such as this.

gadgets

Resource contributor
Country
ca-britishcolumbia
I have begun testing with the stock ETSF and am getting the same error. The airport .bgl contains something AFLT doesn't "understand". The issue has nothing to do with the changes made recently.

While I investigate this issue, perhaps you could check EDMO to see whether or not the problem we've been working on is fixed.

gadgets

Resource contributor
Country
ca-britishcolumbia
Please give this one a try. It fixes the Input Errors (which, it turns out had nothing to do with the airport .bgl as I had suspected. I'll correct the VASI configuration error in the next release

Attachments

• AFLT4508.zip
    320.6 KB · Views: 115