• Which the release of FS2020 we see an explosition of activity on the forun and of course we are very happy to see this. But having all questions about FS2020 in one forum becomes a bit messy. So therefore we would like to ask you all to use the following guidelines when posting your questions:

• Tag FS2020 specific questions with the MSFS2020 tag.
    • Questions about making 3D assets can be posted in the 3D asset design forum. Either post them in the subforum of the modelling tool you use or in the general forum if they are general.
    • Questions about aircraft design can be posted in the Aircraft design forum
    • Questions about airport design can be posted in the FS2020 airport design forum. Once airport development tools have been updated for FS2020 you can post tool speciifc questions in the subforums of those tools as well of course.
    • Questions about terrain design can be posted in the FS2020 terrain design forum.
    • Questions about SimConnect can be posted in the SimConnect forum.

Any other question that is not specific to an aspect of development or tool can be posted in the General chat forum.

By following these guidelines we make sure that the forums remain easy to read for everybody and also that the right people can find your post to answer it.

Dynamic Textures in P3D

Country
hungary
This is amazing!

At the moment I started watching the demo, a ton of stuff we could use this for came into my mind.

Like projecting advertisments to the side of buildings in NY, or model a board for airport interiors which shows the arriving/departing aircrafts...

Endless opportunities... :)

WebSimConnect

Resource contributor
Thanks All,

You've basically just fixed missing rain on cockpit windows.

Indeed, you could apply it to the windshield texture easily.

In FS9 the effect was done with animated material and chained bitmaps (16) and was deprecated in FSX most probably (not sure though) due to performance impact.

Using Dunamic Textures you could:
- create "rain" logic, e.g. introduce small/medium/large/snow drops, change intensity over time, different animation when stopped and moving, speed dependant, add windshield wipers effect, etc. I guess skilled in the art could create and art out of it ;)
- performance should not be an issue, bacause WebSimTextures are built with DX11 with as much as possible GPU support, running in separate process and not "interfering" too much P3D rendering.
- at any time (e.g. when airborne) you could switch off the animation and then performance lost is 0 !!! Textures stays in GPU memory and behaves as any static texture. The only drawback is I do not support mipmaps: I think for dynamic content does not make much sense, for VC as well, though for less dynamic content in the environment it might makes sense and I could add it. In fact, this is the first version of WebSimTexture, I am now collecting feedback for changes.

nice effect would be environment snow effect. With a time you could add some snow textures depending on the snow coverage reported by weather station, that would be cool ;)

anyway, feel free to apply. I am here to support your "imagination".

br

Marcin

jtanabodee

Resource contributor
Country
thailand
Wow! That's amazing stuff.
I think most of us want to use it automatically by getting information from the P3D or FSX itself. Switching or controlling by another window is good but it will be better if it works automatically.
1. Weather changing by the calendar and the area of the world beside weather report from the internet would be good. It can be used with trees and buildings.
2. Changing texture by the wind speed and direction. We can have texture of trees changing due to wind speed. I'd love to see grasses and trees move with wind.
3. VGDS is a dynamic texture that should be implemented as well.

WebSimConnect

Resource contributor
Wow! That's amazing stuff.
I think most of us want to use it automatically by getting information from the P3D or FSX itself. Switching or controlling by another window is good but it will be better if it works automatically.

I agree, everybody expects end products, it's just I am providing a tool for the community to develop end products. Moreover my graph skills are very poor so I believe other might do much better and I encourage to do so.

The only "end product" I did was the WebSimChart:

however as I have not come to an agreement with skyvector owner (not even for payware version) I cannot give for the public. Pity, because it's very useful planning tool, but this is how the things are.

We can have texture of trees changing due to wind speed. I'd love to see grasses and trees move with wind.

I am afraid for objects animations you'd need a bit more and cannot be done by dynamic textures only and it needs to be addressed by LM.
3. VGDS is a dynamic texture that should be implemented as well.

Indeed, it should be a trivial task now.

regards

Marcin

jtanabodee

Resource contributor
Country
thailand
Tree and grass animation do not need to be animation. It can be 3 sets of tree textures changing back and fort to simulate the movement. It will be better than animation and fps will be better.

WebSimConnect

Resource contributor
indeed, SSW not only saw the potential in it, but made a very creative usage of the engine they call Red Panda. Hope you'll see the astonishing results soon ...

Country
azerbaijan
"Amazing" is not a proper word! This is going to be a true revolution in flightsim. Please keep up!!!

Country
australia
Would love to set up some Drive In screens (the few that still exist in the world) and be able to project videos onto them in sim, also would be great to animate the building and billboard signs in Las Vegas as well as possibly even adding animated christmas/holiday lights to autogen :)