• Which the release of FS2020 we see an explosition of activity on the forun and of course we are very happy to see this. But having all questions about FS2020 in one forum becomes a bit messy. So therefore we would like to ask you all to use the following guidelines when posting your questions:

• Tag FS2020 specific questions with the MSFS2020 tag.
    • Questions about making 3D assets can be posted in the 3D asset design forum. Either post them in the subforum of the modelling tool you use or in the general forum if they are general.
    • Questions about aircraft design can be posted in the Aircraft design forum
    • Questions about airport design can be posted in the FS2020 airport design forum. Once airport development tools have been updated for FS2020 you can post tool speciifc questions in the subforums of those tools as well of course.
    • Questions about terrain design can be posted in the FS2020 terrain design forum.
    • Questions about SimConnect can be posted in the SimConnect forum.

Any other question that is not specific to an aspect of development or tool can be posted in the General chat forum.

By following these guidelines we make sure that the forums remain easy to read for everybody and also that the right people can find your post to answer it.

MSFS Substance Painter help...

Country
unitedstates
This isn't much but it's an accomplishment for me. I finally finished 2 simple buildings I started a few months ago complete with PBR textures. Starting with no experience in Blender or Substance Painter I've finally got these buildings finished. They are not perfect and they have flaws. But, I am still learning and I know my next model and texturing will be better and so on. This will be a freeware project and so I can live with some minor flaws and lessons learned. But it's time to move on to other models and get this airport to a somewhat completed stage. The reasons it took so long was the learning process but also I had to take over a month away from the project due to other real life schedules. I would have gotten this done a long time ago if it wasn't for that. Hopefully here on out will be much quicker. Thank you to all who offered help in this thread and don't worry I'm not done asking for help! :D

Attachments

• Microsoft Flight Simulator 12_8_2020 12_48_56 PM.png
    Microsoft Flight Simulator 12_8_2020 12_48_56 PM.png
    3.9 MB · Views: 214
  • Microsoft Flight Simulator 12_8_2020 12_47_52 PM.png
    Microsoft Flight Simulator 12_8_2020 12_47_52 PM.png
    4.3 MB · Views: 210
  • Microsoft Flight Simulator 12_8_2020 12_45_34 PM.png
    Microsoft Flight Simulator 12_8_2020 12_45_34 PM.png
    4.4 MB · Views: 201
  • Microsoft Flight Simulator 12_8_2020 12_45_11 PM.png
    Microsoft Flight Simulator 12_8_2020 12_45_11 PM.png
    4.5 MB · Views: 193
Country
us-california
Very nice, I have just completed,my freeware/training project as well and be freewaying it too! Was the grass there or did you texture that it in, gravel base... look good. My one and only critique would be to add some dark near the bottom, dirt or staining whatever, will make the transition to the ground akin to ambient occlusion. Since you are done with it, just open the albedo in an art program. Photoshop or whatever, I use xara which rocks for this. Do a short 8 to 12 inch equivelent in you model of zero % to what ever color (darker tone of hanger color or black tint say 30%) gradient, right on the albedo it self. Just an idea, great job!. by the way, I used blender, Quixel and xara.

Country
unitedstates
Very nice, I have just completed,my freeware/training project as well and be freewaying it too! Was the grass there or did you texture that it in, gravel base... look good. My one and only critique would be to add some dark near the bottom, dirt or staining whatever, will make the transition to the ground akin to ambient occlusion. Since you are done with it, just open the albedo in an art program. Photoshop or whatever, I use xara which rocks for this. Do a short 8 to 12 inch equivelent in you model of zero % to what ever color (darker tone of hanger color or black tint say 30%) gradient, right on the albedo it self. Just an idea, great job!. by the way, I used blender, Quixel and xara.
Thanks for the critique! I am using substance painter so I could always go back in and paint some dirt or staining along the bottom and give it some variation. I might just do that. I was just ready to move on to another building and fix what I learned on this first one. I already made my next simple building model in Blender last night and it’s UV unwrapped and ready for texturing! Much faster than the first time!

As for the grass and gravel those were there in the satellite image by default. In real life the hangars have a concrete pad poured underneath that joins the asphalt ramp so actually I am going to draw in concrete there using the in sim tools.

Country
unitedstates
Finally had a chance to continue with my project this week that hopefully I will have more time for. I used a dirt generator in Substance Painter to add a little bit of dirt on the top of this model. It looks like it's supposed to in Blender but when I look in the simulator the dirt is showing up as a red color. Any ideas?

Attachments

• Blender_ [G__MSFS Projects_kpso_airport_Custom Models_KPSO Windsock Circle_kpso_windsock_black...png
    Blender_ [G__MSFS Projects_kpso_airport_Custom Models_KPSO Windsock Circle_kpso_windsock_black...png
    1.7 MB · Views: 150
  • Microsoft Flight Simulator 1_15_2021 5_57_30 PM.png
    Microsoft Flight Simulator 1_15_2021 5_57_30 PM.png
    4.8 MB · Views: 162
Country
austria
Is it allways red or just in this specific area and angle? Then it could be a reflection?

Can you post a picture of your substance export preset?

Country
unitedstates
Is it allways red or just in this specific area and angle? Then it could be a reflection?

Can you post a picture of your substance export preset?
It's always red. I have changed the sun angle and the viewing angle and the dirt that was applied is showing up as red. I thought maybe it could be an alpha issue however I didn't think a dirt generator was using an alpha channel? Or is it? My texture looks fine and the dirt displays correctly on the albedo so I would have thought there would be no alpha. The only place it's showing up like this is in the sim. I've attached a screenshot of my Substance settings. I guess I could change the export settings to FS2020 with alpha and see if it makes a difference.

Attachments

• Substance Painter - License_ 319 days remaining - kpso_windsock_circle_black 1_16_2021 11_19_3...png
    Substance Painter - License_ 319 days remaining - kpso_windsock_circle_black 1_16_2021 11_19_3...png
    20 KB · Views: 125
  • Substance Painter - License_ 319 days remaining - kpso_windsock_circle_black 1_16_2021 11_18_4...png
    Substance Painter - License_ 319 days remaining - kpso_windsock_circle_black 1_16_2021 11_18_4...png
    504.6 KB · Views: 104

Pyscen

Resource contributor
Country
us-texas
The settings within Substance will have nothing to do with this I don't believe. Not knowing of this dirt generater, I can only guess that its not being applied correctly. Is this suppose to be within the layer of the material itself, such as a mask?

Country
unitedstates
The settings within Substance will have nothing to do with this I don't believe. Not knowing of this dirt generater, I can only guess that its not being applied correctly. Is this suppose to be within the layer of the material itself, such as a mask?
The dirt is a fill layer with a mask and then I added a generator of dirt that placed random dirt/scratches over the model. I adjusted the scale and settings to my liking to where there was just a little bit of that generator showing. When I disable the layer that has the dirt generator the red goes away in the sim so yes it has to do with the generator however I don't know what the issue is. I suppose I could just try a paint layer and paint my own random dirt/scratches on the model and see if that works instead of the generator itself. I just have not gotten that sophisticated in substance painter yet. Still learning here and I had to take an extended break so in some cases I am re-learning again. LOL

I tried export settings with Alpha and it made no difference just FYI

Country
austria
Just to try everything, i am using this output template.
And i am using the Dirt generator a lot! and everything ist fine when i use it :)

Attachments

• 2021-01-16 23_35_58-Export textures.jpg
    2021-01-16 23_35_58-Export textures.jpg
    126 KB · Views: 132
Country
unitedstates
Just to try everything, i am using this output template.
And i am using the Dirt generator a lot! and everything ist fine when i use it :)
I’m using the export templates that I downloaded from the resources here at Fsdeveloper but perhaps there is a new or different version than I am aware of?

Country
unitedstates
Boy, it's just one thing after another....I've moved on to another model. I have a color ID map that I made and am using in Substance Painter. The model is unwrapped correctly as I did a lengthy detailed manual unwrap. I applied some materials in Substance to see if I had fixed this issue but it's still there! I am seeing these "artifacts" in the materials once applied. For example the side corrugated metal has a jagged edge at the top where something else is showing through. On other parts of the building it's leaving a border at the bottom of the mesh where the texture should fill all the way to the bottom. I don't get what's going on here!

Attachments

• Blender_ [G__MSFS Projects_kpso_airport_Custom Models_KPSO Green Hangar_1_kpso_green_hangar_1....png
    Blender_ [G__MSFS Projects_kpso_airport_Custom Models_KPSO Green Hangar_1_kpso_green_hangar_1....png
    1.5 MB · Views: 146
  • Substance Painter - License_ 314 days remaining - PBR - Metallic Roughness (Read only) 1_21_20...png
    Substance Painter - License_ 314 days remaining - PBR - Metallic Roughness (Read only) 1_21_20...png
    1,003.1 KB · Views: 139
  • Substance Painter - License_ 314 days remaining - PBR - Metallic Roughness (Read only) 1_21_20...png
    Substance Painter - License_ 314 days remaining - PBR - Metallic Roughness (Read only) 1_21_20...png
    1.4 MB · Views: 140
    1.4 MB · Views: 131
Country
unitedstates
Well, I think I just solved the issue. The Color ID Map I was using was very low resolution. When I upped the resolution to 2048x2048 these artifacts are now gone. I guess that was my issue!

Country
unitedstates
What was the name of this material?
I’m not at my computer right now but I’m pretty sure it’s the one you sent me. I only have 3 corrugated metal materials and 2 are SP defaults but this one is not. I assume that’s why you’re asking?

Pyscen

Resource contributor
Country
us-texas
No, it's not, but I like to know what materials have problems. Just in case it happens to me, but this material hasn't given me any problems for me yet.

Country
unitedstates
No, it's not, but I like to know what materials have problems. Just in case it happens to me, but this material hasn't given me any problems for me yet.
Further on the blending problems I was having with the ID map. I am using TexTools in Blender to create my color ID maps as it's easiest for me. It seems now that if I use a hi-res 2048 or larger ID map and also padding of 8 then I don't get the blending between colors causing the texture issues I was having. Hopefully I have solved this going forward. The newest building I made has a good unwrap and good ID map and I have no texture blending problems now.

Country
unitedstates
Ok, I"m graduating a little bit with my models and I'm trying to add some new Glass windows to a hangar. Just 3 square glass windows. I am a little confused as to what I need to do. I know that I set the glass windows as MSFS glass in Blender and the rest of the hangar is MSFS Standard Material. For Substance painter does it need to be two materials or can I keep it as one and texture everything and then when it goes back into Blender separate the glass material at that point? I don't really know I guess what the purpose of having two materials in Substance painter would be as you're then ending up with more textures than you would need (separate set for the glass) and Blender/MSFS is what is making the glass anyway? Just trying to figure out the best workflow here. I do want the glass to be tinted and not see through as I will not have anything in this hangar. I just want it to have the reflective properties of glass but be a dark color. I assume the dark color would be from texturing in SP or would it come from the Blender/MSFS settings?