• Which the release of FS2020 we see an explosition of activity on the forun and of course we are very happy to see this. But having all questions about FS2020 in one forum becomes a bit messy. So therefore we would like to ask you all to use the following guidelines when posting your questions:

• Tag FS2020 specific questions with the MSFS2020 tag.
    • Questions about making 3D assets can be posted in the 3D asset design forum. Either post them in the subforum of the modelling tool you use or in the general forum if they are general.
    • Questions about aircraft design can be posted in the Aircraft design forum
    • Questions about airport design can be posted in the FS2020 airport design forum. Once airport development tools have been updated for FS2020 you can post tool speciifc questions in the subforums of those tools as well of course.
    • Questions about terrain design can be posted in the FS2020 terrain design forum.
    • Questions about SimConnect can be posted in the SimConnect forum.

Any other question that is not specific to an aspect of development or tool can be posted in the General chat forum.

By following these guidelines we make sure that the forums remain easy to read for everybody and also that the right people can find your post to answer it.

Almost There

Country
unitedstates
Arno, I have been able to get most of the user models to shoe in my project. One exception though. I can't seem to bridge this one. I am able to import the object into MDCX fine (import.log and capture.jpg). The issues seem to happen on the export side of the task. When exporting the object. the base file is not written by the program export.log and capture2.jpg) Missing is the base file for the export which is concourse_f_01.gltf. I have checked program setting to ensure that all files would be written. Any Suggestions would be appreciated! Many thanks.

Attachments

• Capture2.JPG
    Capture2.JPG
    28.4 KB · Views: 74
  • Capture.JPG
    Capture.JPG
    54.8 KB · Views: 71
  • export Log.txt
    12 KB · Views: 85
  • imort.txt
    11.3 KB · Views: 64

arno

Administrator
Staff member
FSDevConf team
Resource contributor
Country
netherlands
Hi,

The output structure that you show looks perfectly normal to me. When an object has multiple levels of detail, each of them becomes a separate glTF file. The MSFS model XML does link them all together as one object. So there is no concourse_f_01.gltf file in that case.

Country
unitedstates
Forgive me, this might be a question for Jon. So would i need to load each file into ADE.20 in order for the object to appear in tge sim.

arno

Administrator
Staff member
FSDevConf team
Resource contributor
Country
netherlands
That's a question for @scruffyduck indeed. When placing the object you can refer to the guid that is defined in the xml. But I don't know if ADE needs to load the glTF files as well.

Country
unitedstates
Arno, is it possible to merge the LOD files for an object into one?" Is it a good idea to use the highest LOD file for object placement? or would i need all of the LOD files in order to get the object to show in the sim? Many thanks.

George

arno

Administrator
Staff member
FSDevConf team
Resource contributor
Country
netherlands
Hi,

When you place the object in MSFS you reference the GUID that is defined in the model XML file, so you are not using a specific glTF file when placing it. The MSFS package tool will combine all the different glTF files into one MDL file whent he BGL file for the simulator is made. So you should see the combination of all glTF files as your object. There is no need to merge all glTF files into one.

Country
unitedstates
Arno, Success at last. Thanks for the lessons along the way. I am sure there will be other questions to come.

George

Attachments

• Capture.JPG
    Capture.JPG
    98 KB · Views: 72

scruffyduck

Administrator
Staff member
FSDevConf team
Resource contributor
Country
unitedkingdom
That's a question for @scruffyduck indeed. When placing the object you can refer to the guid that is defined in the xml. But I don't know if ADE needs to load the glTF files as well.
ADE will accept libraries added via the Library Object Manager or glTF files loaded as user objects. In the first case the bgl file is used in the second glTF files are needed and are built by ADE

Last edited:
Country
unitedstates
It was working out where to put the texture folder in order for the gltf to work. In this case, it was creator error, rather than program. Lol! Help is greatly appreciated.
George.

arno

Administrator
Staff member
FSDevConf team
Resource contributor
Country
netherlands
ADE will accept libraries added via the Library Object Manager or glTF files loaded as user objects. In the first case the bgl file is used in the second glTF files are needed and are built by ADE

Jon, how do you handle objects with different lod when adding them in ADE? Does the user add the model xml file or does he need to add all gltf files?

scruffyduck

Administrator
Staff member
FSDevConf team
Resource contributor
Country
unitedkingdom
It was working out where to put the texture folder in order for the gltf to work. In this case, it was creator error, rather than program. Lol! Help is greatly appreciated.
George.

I note this in the pdf notes since I found problems with it

1614668428789.png

scruffyduck

Administrator
Staff member
FSDevConf team
Resource contributor
Country
unitedkingdom
Jon, how do you handle objects with different lod when adding them in ADE? Does the user add the model xml file or does he need to add all gltf files?
I don't do anything specific other than the user needs to add the full folder containing the glTF model so I think the answer is that all the glTF files and model xml file need to be present in the folder.

1614668621091.png

I assume this has only one LOD? in any case if there are several glTF/bin files then they all need to go into the folder

arno

Administrator
Staff member
FSDevConf team
Resource contributor
Country
netherlands
I don't do anything specific other than the user needs to add the full folder containing the glTF model so I think the answer is that all the glTF files and model xml file need to be present in the folder.

View attachment 69888

I assume this has only one LOD? in any case if there are several glTF/bin files then they all need to go into the folder
OK, if the user just has to add the folder that is clear. I was under the impression that the user had to select/load a file into ADE.

scruffyduck

Administrator
Staff member
FSDevConf team
Resource contributor
Country
unitedkingdom
Well the user needs to ensure the folder is placed in the correct location in the ADE project file structure. This ensures it is built along with the airport. There is a second stage which is adding the object to the custom model list in ADE so that it can be placed.
  1. Place the glTF model complete model folder in the ADE ModelLib package source folder
  2. Add the object to ADE (custom model list)
  3. Place the objects in the airport one or many times

arno

Administrator
Staff member
FSDevConf team
Resource contributor
Country
netherlands
Sounds like the user can just export from MCX directly into the modellib package source folder in ADE.

Country
us-illinois
Hi Arno:

If we have a static Sketchup 3D model mapped with (1) custom photo-real texture Material sheet, Geo-located (and placed with AGL / Heading etc.):

* Can MCX import that ex: *.KMZ, convert, and export it as a 'placed' MSFS Scenery project ...ready for processing by the MSFS-2020 SDK package compiler ?

* Can MCX import that ex: *.KMZ, convert, and export it as a 'compiled' MSFS Scenery package ...ready to add to the MSFS-2020 \Community sub-folder ? :scratchch

Thanks in advance for a clarification as to whether this is now possible, or is intended to be a future feature of MCX (...as it already is for legacy FS versions). :)

GaryGB

Last edited:

arno

Administrator
Staff member
FSDevConf team
Resource contributor
Country
netherlands
Hi Gary,
* Can MCX import that ex: *.KMZ, convert, and export it as a 'placed' MSFS Scenery project ...ready for processing by the MSFS-2020 SDK package compiler ?
No, at the moment that is not supported. Since I feel it is not efficient to make a separate package from each single object, MCX can only export the glTF object at the moment. It is up to the developer to place it in the right package.
* Can MCX import that ex: *.KMZ, convert, and export it as a 'compiled' MSFS Scenery package ...ready to add to the MSFS-2020 \Community sub-folder ? :scratchch
This one is related with the one above. Since MCX makes no complete package, it can also not compile that package to a BGL file.

If many developers think it is useful to be able to export packages, I can of course add that. But at the moment might feeling is that this is not really useful, as you don't want each object to become a separate package.