• Which the release of FS2020 we see an explosition of activity on the forun and of course we are very happy to see this. But having all questions about FS2020 in one forum becomes a bit messy. So therefore we would like to ask you all to use the following guidelines when posting your questions:

• Tag FS2020 specific questions with the MSFS2020 tag.
    • Questions about making 3D assets can be posted in the 3D asset design forum. Either post them in the subforum of the modelling tool you use or in the general forum if they are general.
    • Questions about aircraft design can be posted in the Aircraft design forum
    • Questions about airport design can be posted in the FS2020 airport design forum. Once airport development tools have been updated for FS2020 you can post tool speciifc questions in the subforums of those tools as well of course.
    • Questions about terrain design can be posted in the FS2020 terrain design forum.
    • Questions about SimConnect can be posted in the SimConnect forum.

Any other question that is not specific to an aspect of development or tool can be posted in the General chat forum.

By following these guidelines we make sure that the forums remain easy to read for everybody and also that the right people can find your post to answer it.

MSFS Alpha 19 Released

Country
canada
Not with two way editing. ADE can only store what is available in the XML source it shares with the Dev tools. It might be possible to save stuff like guidelines on the ADE side but that is for later
Understood. Thanks for everything you are doing.

...jim

Country
canada
I think I've found a bug.

Just to make sure I'm on the latest version...
Versions:

Application 20.19.7780.20344
Engine 20.00.7780.18849

ADE is loading only one VASI xml element per runway. A subsequent save and reload and the second VASI per runway is gone.

Regards,
...jim

scruffyduck

Administrator
Staff member
FSDevConf team
Resource contributor
Country
unitedkingdom
I think I've found a bug.

Just to make sure I'm on the latest version...
Versions:

Application 20.19.7780.20344
Engine 20.00.7780.18849

ADE is loading only one VASI xml element per runway. A subsequent save and reload and the second VASI per runway is gone.

Regards,
...jim

Can you provide some screen shots please?

Country
canada
First two screenshots show a PAPI4 at each end of the runway:

Screenshot 2021-05-09 104843.png
Screenshot 2021-05-09 104947.png

The project was then saved. The XML showed both VASI xml elements:

<Vasi end="PRIMARY" type="PAPI4" side="LEFT" biasX="30.04M" biasZ="715.23M" spacing="90.0M" pitch="3"/> <Vasi end="SECONDARY" type="PAPI4" side="LEFT" biasX="30.04M" biasZ="615.0M" spacing="90.0M" pitch="3"/>

The project was then opened via Recent Files. The secondary PAPI4 is now gone:
Screenshot 2021-05-09 105229.png

Editing something else and then saving the project, and there is only one VASI xml element:
<Vasi end="PRIMARY" type="PAPI4" side="LEFT" biasX="30.04M" biasZ="615.0M" spacing="90.0M" pitch="3"/>

Hope this helps,
...jim

Country
us-northcarolina
The footprint of the library object Sedona Building15 is at a 45 degree angle from what it should be. Makes placing the object rather precarious.

Snapshot_27.png
Snapshot_28.png

Country
us-northcarolina
Is there a way to move the Airport Beacon? I have one in the middle of a taxiway.

I was able to remove the beacon with an exclusion and add the RotatingBeacon Tower; however the new one doesn't have the rotating beacon.

Snapshot_37.png

Last edited:
Country
us-northcarolina
After the Tuesday update of MSFS I was able to Build projects on the 25th and 26th although it did give me an error that the project definition file does not exist. As of today Microsoft has added a longtime needed start screen and projects will no longer build. I don't know exactly when the startup screen was added but as of the 26th it wasn't there and as of today (the 27th) I saw it for the first time, early this morning. I am now unable to build any airport.

MSFS Start Screen.png

MSFS Build Error.png

Country
unitedstates
Is there a way to move the Airport Beacon? I have one in the middle of a taxiway.

I was able to remove the beacon with an exclusion and add the RotatingBeacon Tower; however the new one doesn't have the rotating beacon.

View attachment 73484

I don't know about ADE, but, in the Scenery Editor, at the bottom of the Properties page, is an option to turn on the beacon effect which you have to do explicitly. It's off by default.

Here is an example of a beacon with the effect turned off and one with it on. The one with it on, I needed a beacon on top of the control tower at KACK, and, not knowing how to just create a beacon effect, I scaled the beacon and changed its altitude till the beacon effect was on top of the control tower at the right location. It used to be that the beacon effect location didn't scale with the object, but I think they fixed that now. To deal with that, I'd scale two beacon towers, put them in the same location, then turn the beacon on for one of them and lower it into the ground until the beacon was at the right height on top of the other model above it. It took a couple of tries since you can't see the beacon light in the Scenery editor.

<!--SceneryObject name: RotatingBeacon_Tower-->
<SceneryObject displayName="RotatingBeacon_Tower (copy)" lat="41.26038997710602" lon="-70.05990787882774" alt="0.00000000000000" pitch="0.000014" bank="-0.000014" heading="-179.999991" imageComplexity="VERY_SPARSE" altitudeIsAgl="TRUE" snapToGround="TRUE" snapToNormal="FALSE">
<LibraryObject name="{A04B772A-6BBF-4103-B263-D479BCCE71F5}" scale="0.700000"/>
</SceneryObject>
<!--SceneryObject name: RotatingBeacon_Tower (Beacon)-->
<SceneryObject lat="41.25707220959646" lon="-70.06336094234626" alt="-2.99999999318350" pitch="0.000014" bank="-0.000014" heading="-179.999991" imageComplexity="VERY_SPARSE" altitudeIsAgl="TRUE" snapToGround="FALSE" snapToNormal="FALSE">
<LibraryObject name="{A04B772A-6BBF-4103-B263-D479BCCE71F5}" scale="0.100000"/>
<AttachedObject attachpointName="" instanceId="{B9BBA9EB-6AD1-4084-9EE8-58CEC5366330}" pitch="0.000000" bank="0.000000" heading="0.000000">
<Beacon type="CIVILIAN" baseType="AIRPORT"/>
</AttachedObject>
</SceneryObject>

Country
us-northcarolina
I don't know about ADE, but, in the Scenery Editor, at the bottom of the Properties page, is an option to turn on the beacon effect which you have to do explicitly. It's off by default.

Here is an example of a beacon with the effect turned off and one with it on. The one with it on, I needed a beacon on top of the control tower at KACK, and, not knowing how to just create a beacon effect, I scaled the beacon and changed its altitude till the beacon effect was on top of the control tower at the right location. It used to be that the beacon effect location didn't scale with the object, but I think they fixed that now. To deal with that, I'd scale two beacon towers, put them in the same location, then turn the beacon on for one of them and lower it into the ground until the beacon was at the right height on top of the other model above it. It took a couple of tries since you can't see the beacon light in the Scenery editor.

<!--SceneryObject name: RotatingBeacon_Tower-->
<SceneryObject displayName="RotatingBeacon_Tower (copy)" lat="41.26038997710602" lon="-70.05990787882774" alt="0.00000000000000" pitch="0.000014" bank="-0.000014" heading="-179.999991" imageComplexity="VERY_SPARSE" altitudeIsAgl="TRUE" snapToGround="TRUE" snapToNormal="FALSE">
<LibraryObject name="{A04B772A-6BBF-4103-B263-D479BCCE71F5}" scale="0.700000"/>
</SceneryObject>
<!--SceneryObject name: RotatingBeacon_Tower (Beacon)-->
<SceneryObject lat="41.25707220959646" lon="-70.06336094234626" alt="-2.99999999318350" pitch="0.000014" bank="-0.000014" heading="-179.999991" imageComplexity="VERY_SPARSE" altitudeIsAgl="TRUE" snapToGround="FALSE" snapToNormal="FALSE">
<LibraryObject name="{A04B772A-6BBF-4103-B263-D479BCCE71F5}" scale="0.100000"/>
<AttachedObject attachpointName="" instanceId="{B9BBA9EB-6AD1-4084-9EE8-58CEC5366330}" pitch="0.000000" bank="0.000000" heading="0.000000">
<Beacon type="CIVILIAN" baseType="AIRPORT"/>
</AttachedObject>
</SceneryObject>
There appears to be no way to Attach a Beacon object to the tower in ADE. I attempted to add the xml code for the rotating beacon to the source xml and then build. The build was successful but there was no rotating beacon. This would just be a stopgap measure until ADE was able to do it, because any change to the project and save would remove the code I added.

Country
unitedstates
Are you not filling in the Region and Country in the Airport Properties on purpose (not able to access that information maybe)?
Currently, the Region field is not editable in the Airport Properties field... again... On purpose? I can add that info in the scenery editor in game, or edit the xml, so it's not a big deal, but, just wondering.

scruffyduck

Administrator
Staff member
FSDevConf team
Resource contributor
Country
unitedkingdom
Are you not filling in the Region and Country in the Airport Properties on purpose (not able to access that information maybe)?
Currently, the Region field is not editable in the Airport Properties field... again... On purpose? I can add that info in the scenery editor in game, or edit the xml, so it's not a big deal, but, just wondering.
Can you tell me if you are asking about the dialog when creating a new airport or just opening the airport properties? In any case blocking adding region is not deliberate and I need to check what the situation is since it is a while since I looked at it. As I recall ADE would search for the region based on the ident for stock airports but this might either not work in the MSFS version or just not implemented

I am seeing the region in Airport Properties for a project I started from a stock airport

1622536425275.png

and it is read only since ADE got it based on the ident.

In any case the property grid for the airport is available from with the raw data view or by selecting the ARP and hitting Enter

1622536542678.png

With that open you can edit or add a Region of your own

Country
unitedstates
Yes, as far as blocking, what you show in the first pic is the dialog I was talking about. There is no "Region" or "Country" field in the initial dialog.

I wasn't aware of a "Region ID". The Region field I'm talking about from the Airport record is (edit: I thought. I'm wrong, tho) from the Living World Config definition in the SDK.

And now, checking the latest SDK, it turns out I might be using that field wrong :rolleyes: (What the heck does "Generally" mean, and their list of regions seems awfully non-specific... and really, Latin America instead of South America? Where does Central America fit? or Cuba, etc?, Australia? I like the LWCfg region definition, it's specific.).

I've been trying to use the Living World Config stuff to limit traffic and workers at smaller airports, but, it's currently broken as it seems the LWC and Airport Services files are not airport specific as they should be. So if I create a LWC and ASrvs file set, it affects other airports, and sets up a last set loaded situation. Perhaps I'm missing a field or something about configuring a set of services and parking entries. I have a feeling their definition is not yet fully formed.

ScreenShot-210601-080056001.png

ScreenShot-210601-083904001.png

I'm going to submit a bug report to Asobo to ask them to clarify why they have two different definitions for Region. I hate inconsistency.... grrr.

Last edited:

scruffyduck

Administrator
Staff member
FSDevConf team
Resource contributor
Country
unitedkingdom
I'm going to submit a bug report to Asobo to ask them to clarify why they have two different definitions for Region. I hate inconsistency.... grrr.

Well the RegionID field is from ADE and not related to Asobo. Since this is an alpha version there are some properties that appear in the property grid that are not part of the schema for MSFS. Region and RegionID in the ADE schema are linked but used in different ways internally. In fact there is some confusion in the code as to how they are used.

First the Region Property is used in XML and compile to the bgl. However if you change this in the property dialog then it is not reflected in the Airport Properties Dialog. Changing the RegionID in the property dialog affects the Airport Properties Dialog but not the actual property used in the compile. So the inconsistency is all in ADE - sorry about that.

A bug report to Asobo will probably just bemuse them.

Country
unitedstates
Ok I'm Doing ok with my new airport, all works so far i have my runways, taxiways, my ramps, and all my lights work. I'm trying to add a rotating beacon. no luck, i've installed both towers and a beacon but nothing will work.
Can Someone Please help? Thanks