• Which the release of FS2020 we see an explosition of activity on the forun and of course we are very happy to see this. But having all questions about FS2020 in one forum becomes a bit messy. So therefore we would like to ask you all to use the following guidelines when posting your questions:

• Tag FS2020 specific questions with the MSFS2020 tag.
    • Questions about making 3D assets can be posted in the 3D asset design forum. Either post them in the subforum of the modelling tool you use or in the general forum if they are general.
    • Questions about aircraft design can be posted in the Aircraft design forum
    • Questions about airport design can be posted in the FS2020 airport design forum. Once airport development tools have been updated for FS2020 you can post tool speciifc questions in the subforums of those tools as well of course.
    • Questions about terrain design can be posted in the FS2020 terrain design forum.
    • Questions about SimConnect can be posted in the SimConnect forum.

Any other question that is not specific to an aspect of development or tool can be posted in the General chat forum.

By following these guidelines we make sure that the forums remain easy to read for everybody and also that the right people can find your post to answer it.

MSFS Blender2MSFS only exporting one texture set/UDIM/material (beginner question)

Country
sweden
I have an airplane built for FSX/P3D with 12 UDIMs (Total of 12x3 textures).

In blender I've set up a material for each UDIM and assigned the three textures to each material. It looks correct in Blender but when I export I only get the first three (albedo, metallic and normal) textures and in MSFS2020 all of the parts of the airplane use the same first texture set.

How do I export all of the textures correctly?

Thanks!

Country
unitedkingdom
I've been having the same issue for a while and I believe it's a bug in MSFS. Assuming we're experiencing the same error, can you confirm the following:

1. You select the appropriate textures in Blender2MSFS
  2. They render correctly in Blender
  3. The file names in Blender2MSFS material window are the same/duplicated (i.e. repeated texture1_albedo.png rather than texture2_albedo.png, texture3_albedo.png)
  4. The exported gITF file only contains the first texture (e.g. texture1_albedo.png) when you open it in a text editor.

I think the tool has a problem with similar file names and/or underscores where it stops reading beyond a certain point. The only way I've been able to work around this so far is to add a, b or c etc at the end of the filename so I end up with texture1_albedoa.png, texture2_albedob.png, texture3_albedoc.png. It's really ugly work workflow but is the only thing that works for me.

I came here to report this but I'm not sure if Blender2MSFS is still under active development or not.

Country
sweden
I've been having the same issue for a while and I believe it's a bug in MSFS. Assuming we're experiencing the same error, can you confirm the following:

1. You select the appropriate textures in Blender2MSFS
  2. They render correctly in Blender
  3. The file names in Blender2MSFS material window are the same/duplicated (i.e. repeated texture1_albedo.png rather than texture2_albedo.png, texture3_albedo.png)
  4. The exported gITF file only contains the first texture (e.g. texture1_albedo.png) when you open it in a text editor.

I think the tool has a problem with similar file names and/or underscores where it stops reading beyond a certain point. The only way I've been able to work around this so far is to add a, b or c etc at the end of the filename so I end up with texture1_albedoa.png, texture2_albedob.png, texture3_albedoc.png. It's really ugly work workflow but is the only thing that works for me.

I came here to report this but I'm not sure if Blender2MSFS is still under active development or not.
You're the best!!

I did a quick test and it seemed to work!
Changed the naming of the textures from "AJS37_1001_FF_albedo_2048" and "AJS37_1002_RF_albedo_2048" to "AJS37_1001_A_FF" and "AJS37_1002_A_RF".

Thank you very much! I would never have figured this out myself!

RicherSims

Resource contributor
Country
dominica
@Halfcard @ikonane I am also trying to use UDIMs (teaching myself for the first time) but I'm a bit confused.
My textures are named Terminal.1001.png, Terminal.1002.png, etc.
If I change the name to Terminal.1001_a.png, Terminal.1002_b.png, etc... then Blender no longer recognizes them as part of UDIM set when I attempt to place them in the albedo slot of the MSFS standard material. Instead it only imports 1 texture and applies it to the entire model instead of importing all 4 and applying each one to the relevant areas.

The file names in Blender2MSFS material window are the same/duplicated (i.e. repeated texture1_albedo.png rather than texture2_albedo.png, texture3_albedo.png)
Where exactly do you see the duplication in the Blener2MSFS material window? I am confused and cannot find this.

Here is what my Blender window looks like after I select the first texture in the UDIM set and Blender successfully imports the rest automatically.
As you can see under my MSFS Material Params on the right, I do not see multiple textures with the same name. I only see one listed.

Screenshot 2021-07-22 191320.jpg

Country
australia
@Halfcard @ikonane I am also trying to use UDIMs (teaching myself for the first time) but I'm a bit confused.
My textures are named Terminal.1001.png, Terminal.1002.png, etc.
If I change the name to Terminal.1001_a.png, Terminal.1002_b.png, etc... then Blender no longer recognizes them as part of UDIM set when I attempt to place them in the albedo slot of the MSFS standard material. Instead it only imports 1 texture and applies it to the entire model instead of importing all 4 and applying each one to the relevant areas.

Where exactly do you see the duplication in the Blener2MSFS material window? I am confused and cannot find this.

Here is what my Blender window looks like after I select the first texture in the UDIM set and Blender successfully imports the rest automatically.
As you can see under my MSFS Material Params on the right, I do not see multiple textures with the same name. I only see one listed.

Why are you naming your textures "Terminal.1001.png"? It's possible the exporter is only seeing "Terminal" as you have a decimal point after that which is not a good way to name files. Replace Terminal.1001 with Terminal_1001 and see if that fixes the problem.

RicherSims

Resource contributor
Country
dominica
Why are you naming your textures "Terminal.1001.png"? It's possible the exporter is only seeing "Terminal" as you have a decimal point after that which is not a good way to name files. Replace Terminal.1001 with Terminal_1001 and see if that fixes the problem.
This is the standard naming convention for UDIMS within Blender.
I have tried using ".' instead of "_".
It makes no difference.

Country
australia
This is the standard naming convention for UDIMS within Blender.
I have tried using ".' instead of "_".
It makes no difference.
I see. I've never used UDIM.

I don't know if the blender2msfs tool supports UDIM and it's possible that MSFS doesn't support them either (as it seems the gltf format doesn't support UDIM). You may have to separate your textures out to individual materials, one for each texture file. Reading the original post it seems this is what the poster did ("I've set up a material for each UDIM") but they had a problem with texture naming after that.

RicherSims

Resource contributor
Country
dominica
It seems the posters above have indeed identified the only way to do it.
One must bake each UDIM tile to a separate texture, create a separate material for each texture, apply the new separate materials to the object instead of using the single UDIM material set, and then export your object.

The tedious part was moving your UVs to within the texture space for every UV tile that you needed to bake, as Blender does not yet support baking/exporting UDIMS natively.
Thankfully there is a very useful tool called UDIM Baker built by Alfonso Annarumma & Asger Suhr Langhoff which makes this a breeze:

Please support them if it helped you.