• Which the release of FS2020 we see an explosition of activity on the forun and of course we are very happy to see this. But having all questions about FS2020 in one forum becomes a bit messy. So therefore we would like to ask you all to use the following guidelines when posting your questions:

• Tag FS2020 specific questions with the MSFS2020 tag.
    • Questions about making 3D assets can be posted in the 3D asset design forum. Either post them in the subforum of the modelling tool you use or in the general forum if they are general.
    • Questions about aircraft design can be posted in the Aircraft design forum
    • Questions about airport design can be posted in the FS2020 airport design forum. Once airport development tools have been updated for FS2020 you can post tool speciifc questions in the subforums of those tools as well of course.
    • Questions about terrain design can be posted in the FS2020 terrain design forum.
    • Questions about SimConnect can be posted in the SimConnect forum.

Any other question that is not specific to an aspect of development or tool can be posted in the General chat forum.

By following these guidelines we make sure that the forums remain easy to read for everybody and also that the right people can find your post to answer it.

Change material drawing order through Hierarchy Editor?

Country
germany
Hi!

I'm currently dealing with some drawing order issues (the well known xray effect of transparent windows not showing whats behind). Given a building model: If I'm not wrong, materials of objects inside a building should be drawn before the material containing the semitransparent window texture to prevent the xray effect. I was wondering if the hierarchy editor actually shows the material drawing order of the model? And if so, would a function to change the order/position of a material within the SceneGraphNode be feasible or make sense?

8vlzg6e4.jpg

Thanks,
Volker

=rk=

Resource contributor
Country
us-washington
You should have pretty good luck using the Material Editor drop-down presets for material attributes. Find the material the window eclipses and select "set default opaque."

Country
germany
The window texture is ok and transparent but when looking through it in game you don't see certain models that are placed behind it. I will post an image later ;-)

=rk=

Resource contributor
Country
us-washington
It is a known and familiar phenomenon. There are several solutions, the one posted is easiest to describe and implement. Consider if the inside of your model has no texture it will appear exactly as you describe. Untextured faces render transparent as do any faces they eclipse from the observer. I am aware of a situation with effects that appears to be mitigated through manipulating drawing order by adding empty LOD's. That trick will not work in this circumstance because yours is a single distinct model.

arno

Administrator
Staff member
FSDevConf team
Resource contributor
Country
netherlands
For which FS version is this? For FSX you should be able to solve it with the material settings. For FS2004 you indeed need to change the order in the object. That is not something MCX can do at the moment.

tgibson

Resource contributor
Country
us-california
Hi,

If you have the source files, in GMAX and FSDS3 (?) you can place the transparent object last in the drawing order by giving their material a little bit of transparency (Opacity = 99, unless that number is already less than 100) and in FSDS2 you can cut the objects and paste them back in to place them last. I don't know about Sketchup.