• Which the release of FS2020 we see an explosition of activity on the forun and of course we are very happy to see this. But having all questions about FS2020 in one forum becomes a bit messy. So therefore we would like to ask you all to use the following guidelines when posting your questions:

• Tag FS2020 specific questions with the MSFS2020 tag.
    • Questions about making 3D assets can be posted in the 3D asset design forum. Either post them in the subforum of the modelling tool you use or in the general forum if they are general.
    • Questions about aircraft design can be posted in the Aircraft design forum
    • Questions about airport design can be posted in the FS2020 airport design forum. Once airport development tools have been updated for FS2020 you can post tool speciifc questions in the subforums of those tools as well of course.
    • Questions about terrain design can be posted in the FS2020 terrain design forum.
    • Questions about SimConnect can be posted in the SimConnect forum.

Any other question that is not specific to an aspect of development or tool can be posted in the General chat forum.

By following these guidelines we make sure that the forums remain easy to read for everybody and also that the right people can find your post to answer it.

Developing FSW C++ add-ons with no SDK

WebSimConnect

Resource contributor
I spent few hours to test a little bit FSW. I created .lib file out of new simconnect.dll and used old simconnect.h and old gauges.h. I ported from FSX 2 projects, a gauge and a dll loaded by DLL.XML. All compiled well for x64. My findings are:

- the gauge is loaded by FSW and security warnings pops like in FSX, however it crashes immediately.

- the DLL gets loaded, module_init gets called, PPANELS Panels is initialized, however calling panel_register_c_callback returns false and my code cannot continue.

in summary, we need to wait for SDK to be published (if ever)

any other attempts on FSW ?

M.

Ronald

Resource contributor
Interesting development!

in summary, we need to wait for SDK to be published (if ever)
Or take a closer in-depth look on compatible aircraft and addons that do already work with FSW

WebSimConnect

Resource contributor
Or take a closer in-depth look on compatible aircraft and addons that do already work with FSW
I guess they are XML based only... and DLL addons simconnect based only. I'd like to see a working DLL gauge or DLL module using PANEL service (Module Export Structure of PANELS )

Country
us-ohio
Since they're going to want to control addon development and reduce risks for their company, it only makes sense that Dovetail eliminates support for C/C++ gauges since they're DLLs. XML is a controlled environment.

Ronald

Resource contributor
QUESTION: Can one achieve the same results with XML-based-gauges as with DLL-programmed-gauges?

Last edited:

rcbarend

Resource contributor
Country
netherlands
QUETSION: Can one achieve the same results with XML-based-gauges as with DLL-programmed-gauges?
That depends how FSW implemented it.
For starters: if XML-programmed gauges can only at run at max. 18 Hz (like in FSX/P3D), the answer is No.

Rob

WebSimConnect

Resource contributor
it only makes sense that Dovetail eliminates support for C/C++ gauges since they're DLLs. XML is a controlled environment.

right, but is it a confirmed information, or another rumour ?

I mean, they can control addon market by SDK EULA and developers can agree or not to join or not their business model by sharing their income. Why shall they close the technical integration for C-gauges ? What about standalone simconnect addons ? Keeping simconnect in FSW they do not close DLL and EXE addons. So far only C-gauges are the issue. What worries me is that I have noticed some anti-debug features :confused: which might prove what Ed is saying.

Country
italy
If things are so Marcin, the right path is that of LM and FSW is going to be a flop like MS Fligth Sim.
/Mario

n4gix

Resource contributor
Country
unitedstates
I just returned from FlightSimCon a few hours ago. While there, I met and talked with both Aimee and Stephen. I asked Stephen directly about the issue of C++ Gauges and he confirmed that (a) they did in fact strip out support and (b) it was a bad decision. DTG will be adding support for C++/GDI+ back into FSW. No time-frame for this of course, but a firm commitment nonetheless!

I count that as a positive development! :coffee:

hairyspin

Resource contributor
Country
unitedkingdom
But that doesn't sit well with the DTG-bids-to-rule-the-world paranoia, Bill! :rolleyes:

Country
us-ohio
Oh but it does! (cue evli laughter).....

Ok... maybe not... but it's still good news, right?

Country
indonesia
I just returned from FlightSimCon a few hours ago. While there, I met and talked with both Aimee and Stephen. I asked Stephen directly about the issue of C++ Gauges and he confirmed that (a) they did in fact strip out support and (b) it was a bad decision. DTG will be adding support for C++/GDI+ back into FSW. No time-frame for this of course, but a firm commitment nonetheless!

I count that as a positive development! :coffee:
what is "strip out"? google translate have no translation in Indonesian
but generally understand and glad to hear that. I like this competition. we have P3D, FSW, Aerofly, XPlane and new microsoft flight simulator. in mater developer support, it being like or not, just because FSX already have wide community and very high add on available. the company must keep up support to freeware / payware developer. Developing an aircraft isn't instant, it need time. the amount of developer creating add on make flight simulator have so many aircraft available faster. if it low add on availability can make lose in competition.
moreover this competition make flight simulator getting better improvement from sim core engine.

n4gix

Resource contributor
Country
unitedstates
From what Stephen told me, there was a united objection from all of their current "partners" about the absent C++/GDI+ gauge support, and that far too many of their products would never work at all without it... :laughing:

Some of the questions asked during the developer "face off" were obviously painful for DTG to answer, such as "What are your plans to support professional certified simulators?" This was generally directed to all, but obviously excluding DTG. What could either Aimee or Stephen answer except, "Uh, none at all." :confused:

Ronald

Resource contributor
I'm glad that you got confirmation the C++ gauge support Bill. Thanks for sharing.