• Which the release of FS2020 we see an explosition of activity on the forun and of course we are very happy to see this. But having all questions about FS2020 in one forum becomes a bit messy. So therefore we would like to ask you all to use the following guidelines when posting your questions:

• Tag FS2020 specific questions with the MSFS2020 tag.
    • Questions about making 3D assets can be posted in the 3D asset design forum. Either post them in the subforum of the modelling tool you use or in the general forum if they are general.
    • Questions about aircraft design can be posted in the Aircraft design forum
    • Questions about airport design can be posted in the FS2020 airport design forum. Once airport development tools have been updated for FS2020 you can post tool speciifc questions in the subforums of those tools as well of course.
    • Questions about terrain design can be posted in the FS2020 terrain design forum.
    • Questions about SimConnect can be posted in the SimConnect forum.

Any other question that is not specific to an aspect of development or tool can be posted in the General chat forum.

By following these guidelines we make sure that the forums remain easy to read for everybody and also that the right people can find your post to answer it.

MSFS Easy Blender FS2020 tutorial needed

Hi all!
New member and love the commitment, knowledge and atmosphere around here!

My question.
I see a lot of info but I miss one easy tutorial how to setup a 3D model with correct texture (day and night) with lighting and LOD setup to export into FS2020.

I think this could be important as many newbies like myself struggle to get all the information in just to make a small project.

This would also make it easier to understand the basic setup. Modeling and animations is another chapter but the basic setup would be great for the community.

I've looked but can't find any...

I was pretty much at your point right there. Spent the past 2 weeks or so going around every single problem that you could imagine between Blender / SDK / Textures / Modelling / Lights. After struggling for quite some time i'm finally working on my little project, and laughing about all these things that came earlier on my learning path.

About your question, i could not find anything regarding a pure FS2020 Tutorial, but a few P3D/FSX which helped a bit, but not so much. So my advice... open up the SDK Documentation and start testing around, you will learn a lot more. Keep an Edge/Chrome Tab open up with Google, and search for every problem that you find along the way.
Blender is an amazing tool, and since its Open Source, you will find LOTS of material/resources/question/answers, so you are pretty much cover on that aspect.

Last edited:
Some good advise there @hditano:)
I am not to worried I won't learn the workflow but I am more just trying to find that shortcut tutorial that sucks people in and keep the taste to stay and learn more about the deeper knowledge.
I am on my way to learn and I will make a tutorial (if still needed) when I feel I can give back to the community. I just know I am at step 2 and others are at step 49 or 126 and to get that shortcut to step 10 makes people understand the basics. I am familiar with 3D modeling in architecture but game design is new for me. I love to learn and I love to share what I've learned.
I mean this is what we all come from, not knowing to learning.
So if anyone can give the first steps that would be cool.
Ie. Import a basic model with textures, , lights, LOD, animation etc. Basic stuff.

Agree on this topic.
Made some small scenery back in FS2004 was quite easy that time by the simple 3D modeling tool at that time. Have now spent many hours on videos around Blender and can't get my head around this. Everything is easy once learned but this struggles me ... Would be great with a slow tutorial showing how to make a simple building in Blender add textures and how to get it FS2020 !

Vitus

Resource contributor
Hi,
I feel your pain.

You need to keep some things in mind though: all of this is new to ALL of us! Can't find a tutorial? Even the seasoned developers are struggling understanding the new workflows. When I have an issue with my project, I often don't know if this is something I did wrong, or a problem on the side of the yet unfinished tools we're working with. So don't be surprised that there aren't any tutorials - because the majority of us could use them right now. I try my best answering questions here and document the paths that worked for me. It's also a matter of resources - helping other people here takes time away that I could spent working on my project ;)
The only advantage seasoned developers have, is that they know their way around 3dsmax/Blender, Photoshop or Substance Painter - but for those tools there's already a plethora of really great tutorials out there!

I think the best thing you can do is to embrace this learning process. Read the posts here in the forum, even if you think they don't relate to what you're currently doing. Every little piece of information you find here helps you understand the greater picture. Check out the wiki - because even if the majority of articles is about FSX/P3D, they're filled with decades of experience, and the core principles of 3d design hasn't changed that much and even many of the design principles of MSFS stem from the old tech. Do some cross-reading too! For instance, check out the blenderartists.org forum, because you'll find a ton of advise there when it comes to good modelling practices, good topology, material setup etc.

And lastly: as you gain more and more insight, be kind and share it here! Help out the people that come after you, because you already went through their struggle.

Hi Vitus

Thanks for your feedback, know this is also at early stage and we all are eager to add things to FS2020. Searched a bit and found this great video :

Together with this about texture it got me going.

Now I just need to get my head around how to remove buildings and planes in FS2020 before adding my own scenery.....

Thanks
Claus

Hi Vitus

Thanks for your feedback, know this is also at early stage and we all are eager to add things to FS2020. Searched a bit and found this great video :

Together with this about texture it got me going.

Now I just need to get my head around how to remove buildings and planes in FS2020 before adding my own scenery.....

Thanks
Claus
Add exclusion rectangles or polygons and check the remove buildings options. You can also add an airport and select the items you want on the "To delete" section.