• Which the release of FS2020 we see an explosition of activity on the forun and of course we are very happy to see this. But having all questions about FS2020 in one forum becomes a bit messy. So therefore we would like to ask you all to use the following guidelines when posting your questions:

• Tag FS2020 specific questions with the MSFS2020 tag.
    • Questions about making 3D assets can be posted in the 3D asset design forum. Either post them in the subforum of the modelling tool you use or in the general forum if they are general.
    • Questions about aircraft design can be posted in the Aircraft design forum
    • Questions about airport design can be posted in the FS2020 airport design forum. Once airport development tools have been updated for FS2020 you can post tool speciifc questions in the subforums of those tools as well of course.
    • Questions about terrain design can be posted in the FS2020 terrain design forum.
    • Questions about SimConnect can be posted in the SimConnect forum.

Any other question that is not specific to an aspect of development or tool can be posted in the General chat forum.

By following these guidelines we make sure that the forums remain easy to read for everybody and also that the right people can find your post to answer it.

EDJA-Memmingen conversion to FS9

Country
germany
Dear all,

I just hope, that someone who is capable of helping me out, reads that. I am still looking for someone, who is capable of converting FSX objects and Airportfiles into FS9 objects. I personaly have no FS9, so unfortunately, I am not able to convert EDJA into the FS9 format. Is there anybody out there, who has both versions and might help me out or can give me clear ideas how to do so? I also would need someone who is able to be a betatester on FS9. As I said, I do not own a copy of FS9. Any help is appreciated. If noone can help me, than we have to live without a FS9 Version. So pleeeaaaase help me that we can satisfy the FS9 Community :)

Best regards and thanks a lot in advance

Demon

Country
germany
Hi Demon,

as I wrote to you (an email via the forum software): I tried, but the GMAX-files seem to be different for FS9 and FSX. But you could try the ModelConverter that is available in the download section here on this site.

Country
england
If you load a gmax file created with the FSX Gamepack into the FS9 Gamepack you should get a warning message, click open (see fig 1)

fig-1-2.jpg

Once opened in gmax, open the Material Navigator and open any materials in the Material Editor and delete them, (see fig 2)

fig-2-2.jpg

All you need do now is create a new standard material and apply it to your model, your UV Mapping should be there.

David

Country
germany
Great News!!! Thanks PakMac for taking the time and effort to post that here...

And Georg, Thanks for your effort as well. I am sorry that i just can provide the textures and gmax files :( Btw I used the Modelconverter which is a great tool, but i am missing all the other FS9 stuff. Maybe you will succeed. I just ordered my Internetconnection for my homebase here in Munich, so I should not be handicaped anymore with not getting mails and massages.

Thanks so far for your help guys!!! Thumbs UP!!!

Chers,

Demon

Country
germany
Hi Demon,

well ... it worked ... basically: The model can be placed, but the textures are not shown.

You gave me an antenna and the according ps-file. It shows the head of the antenna. I did as described before, but the texture is not shown on the antenna in FS (also not in GMAX).

If I look into the parts that shoud be textured with that file, there is no UV-mapping or something like that.

Country
germany
So what do you need? Just let me know and I ll try to provide everything what you need...

Thanks so far for testing!!!

Cheers,

Demon

Country
germany
Is the antenna completely textured?

Did you give me all textures?

Are there transparent parts in the antenna? I think I see a rectangle on top of the antenna that should be invisible. Possibly the transprency is handeled different in FS9 and FSX.

Perhaps wie should start with a more simple objekt: completely textured (no materials used) no transparent parts ...just simple. A container perhaps.

Country
germany
Yes you are right. There is a transparent part on the top of te antenna. Sure we can start with a simple object but there are many objects in edja with transparency used for windows like the tower for instance. There are no more textures for that object. I will be in Munich again by tomorrow then i can send you another object! Thanks for the quick reply!

Country
germany
Many transparent objects ... I can see lots of problems at the horizon ...

OUchhh...doesn't sound good :eek: but on the other hand, isn't there any transparency in FS9. So if you change the texture to fs9 textures/standard, there is also a transparency setting isn't it? so where do you think will be the problems? I guess I`ll play around with it tonight and will install the sdk for fs9 and GMAX. then i will see how the transparency is beeing treated. Georg, how can I contact you the fastest way? Per your private e-mail?

greets,

Demon

Country
germany
Transparency in FS9 is made by alpha channel - the darker, the more transparent.

Yes, private mail is the fastest way, as I do not use skype and ICQ that often.

I gave it to you, did I?

Last edited:
Country
germany
Hi Georg,

yes you did ;) I will comback to you shortly. Since yesterday FSX closes with an exeption error on my to airports EDJA and EDMT. I havbe no clue so far, what this is. I found out, that only my selfmade airports force FSX to quit with an error: FSX has to be closed. Please restart bla bla... no errornumber, nothing.

I tried this so far:
renewing the fsx.cfg -> no effect
recompiled all BGL's for both airports, meaning from ADX ->Airport.bgl no luck
and the libraryCreator from Arno -> no luck

That means that recompiling the source.xml into bgl didn't kill the error.
I haven't done anything which would explain, that FSX sends an error message. I shut down the computer, next day I started it to fly a boit around and EDJA was my start airport. After the loadingscreen I got the error imidiatly. Than i reset the fsx.cfg with flusifix and I got to the main menue. Than I have choosen EDJA and BANG...exceptional error, please close fsx and restart.... same with EDMT. So I guess it is something in the airport files....

Anyone any clue?!

Thanks in advance

Cheers, Demon

Hi Marcus, Hi Georg.

as it becomes obvious that professional help is available to convert Memmingen X into a FS2004 version, I will admit that I am working on this task for several weeks. Starting from scratch, I refused myself to offer any help before I had solved some (or more likely most) of the challenges. Still I am not so far and so I should have been quiet, but maybe my intermediate results can help a bit.

First, I like to mention that it is likely unnecessary to run the FSX gmax sources through gmax, re-map the textures and compile it with the FS9 Gamepack.

Second, the dds textures need to be reworked to DXT1 Bitmaps.

Third, the AFX file needs to be transfered to FS9 AFD.

All three things can be done with either FSX/FS9 SDK or the help of tools made by great supporters for the Flightsim community (thanks to Arno and Jon).

So far, so good? No, at least these first three steps can be done quite easy and fast, if you have the knowledge how all the stuff is going on in FSX and FS9 and that can keep some time to come to this.

At today I dare to say, that I could show a transitional FS9 version of Memmingen having the approval of the author to do the conversions.

But there will be a lot of things to do.

As written here before, at the conversion of dds texture to dxt1 with the SDK tool, (with me) transparency is lost and has to be 'handcrafted' one by one with pur black as long someone has a clou how to run a batch on this.

Since it is possible to convert the self-made (22) FSX models to FS9 format in a batch, what is with the referenced generic objects? I found 122 calls for 56 different generic FSX objects in one and 21/13 in another bgl. Maybe a lot of the generic FSX objects will not exist in the FS9 environment or surely have a different GUID. Anyway it seems to me that this could be a time consuming manual work and at the end it is also possible that some can not be placed without making them yourself or searching in freeware libraries.

I know there is a big community of (most online) flying flightsimming enthusiasts who will appreciate a FS9 version of EDJA. But is all this (hard) work really worth it? They 'play' without any access to the cost!

Regards
Hans

Last edited:
Country
germany
Hi Hans,

Don't worry about the authors permission. As I am the author of EDJA there will be no problem as long as we work close together and if there will be final FS9 version, it has to be hosted on my website for edja. So I think we can work it out somehow. I am working on two other airports as well. I will put those together in one package. The package wont be freeware anymore coz it took so much time to develope it. The pricing will be around 5 € for 4 highly detailed airfields.

But it will take at least until x-mas for the release.
So we have quiet some time.

Thanks so far

Demon

Country
germany
Anything new about the conversion?

I did not get any further. The transparency conversion is beyond my knowledge.

Hi Georg,

are you looking for something like this?

Attachments

• EDJA(fs9)_Antenne_trans.jpg
    EDJA(fs9)_Antenne_trans.jpg
    98.4 KB · Views: 411
No, I did not work active on that scenery the last 6-8 weeks. Saw your post and thought well, let's give it a try ;). The transparency of the Antenna top is 'hand-crafted'. Works like I wrote in my first post. Tried 'Bodenmarkierungen' as well with success. So I know the technology. I still have not managed to convert the dds bitmaps to dxt1 with keeping transparency in a batch. But did not put much energy in that work.

I think you are helping to convert?

Regards