• Which the release of FS2020 we see an explosition of activity on the forun and of course we are very happy to see this. But having all questions about FS2020 in one forum becomes a bit messy. So therefore we would like to ask you all to use the following guidelines when posting your questions:

• Tag FS2020 specific questions with the MSFS2020 tag.
    • Questions about making 3D assets can be posted in the 3D asset design forum. Either post them in the subforum of the modelling tool you use or in the general forum if they are general.
    • Questions about aircraft design can be posted in the Aircraft design forum
    • Questions about airport design can be posted in the FS2020 airport design forum. Once airport development tools have been updated for FS2020 you can post tool speciifc questions in the subforums of those tools as well of course.
    • Questions about terrain design can be posted in the FS2020 terrain design forum.
    • Questions about SimConnect can be posted in the SimConnect forum.

Any other question that is not specific to an aspect of development or tool can be posted in the General chat forum.

By following these guidelines we make sure that the forums remain easy to read for everybody and also that the right people can find your post to answer it.

FSdeveloper is not very active recenly, is it?

jtanabodee

Resource contributor
Country
thailand
Hi,
I have been a member of fsdeveloper.com for quite sometime. I think more than 10 years. I found that in the recent years, the activities were not so active. I scrooled through this General Chat and found that there are a lot of questions raised but the Replies are 0 even they were read hundred of times. If you open the old pages more than 10-15 pages before, almost all the questions are answered.
I don't know if you guys have other places to go to like Facebook or other website to discuss. If you know the answer, please do not hesitate to answer to keep the site active. I think I am just a user, not programmer or computer guys, most of the question I don't know the answer either. Or the complexity of the Flight Sim make it more difficult to know all the things, I don't know.....LOL.
Regards,
Tic

Country
us-ohio
Do You think that non participation in MSFS is part of the problem ?? - Johnman

jtanabodee

Resource contributor
Country
thailand
Do You think that non participation in MSFS is part of the problem ?? - Johnman
No, I don't think so. People still love to fly in P3D espacially those Heavy. In MSFS, big birds do not behave well enough.

Lagaffe

Resource contributor
Country
france
You can find a lot of new people registred since August 2020 on Discord channels.

D

Deleted member 1281

Last time I posted here some of us developers (ex-developers in my case) were put in the category of

From this conversation, I feel it is breeding grounds for "Old FSX Dogs" who can't learn new tricks to get mad at new developers and cry out about 10 year old piracy protection.

Lovely turn of phrase, fits me like a glove. "Old FSX Dog", could use that as signature.

-- M. Jahn,
Stats, 952 post in this forum, around 20 freeware models in FS9/FSX/P3D, one interview at flightsim.com.

Country
hongkong
To be honest, in my case, I often get more useful replies when I ask questions in other forums. Not sure if others have the same feeling.

Country
austria
Answering questions and reading the forum need a lot of time. With the new sim everyone hast to learn new stuff wich also needs a lot of time. the sdk docs are not in every case usefule so everyone has to do try and error. to get answers. All peoples want to release new stuff for the new sim so no time to do other things than develope :)

rhumbaflappy

Administrator
Staff member
Resource contributor
Country
us-wisconsin
The forum organization has changed a bit, so that more specific sub-forums are available. For example the Blender sub-forum is very active. And as Mikea.at has indicated, the playing field is leveled as far as MSFS knowledge is concerned... it's new to all of us, so there are no experts yet. And Asobo keeps altering the core of the sim, so members don't feel comfortable answering, or simply don't know the answer. And many members are just too busy with their own projects to take much time out to address problems in depth. And some members simply grab information here, and don't share it with others... and that's alright. No one is required to help or inform anyone here.

arno

Administrator
Staff member
FSDevConf team
Resource contributor
Country
netherlands
Actually I think we see more activity here on the forum since MSFS has been released. If I compare the website statistics from the last month with those from 1 year ago, there is around 40% more activity (more users, more visits).

I don't know how it is for others, but I don't have the time to read all forums. So I focus on the forums about my own tools, so that I can provide support for them. But I can't keep up with all posts in the other forums.

Country
mexico
No complains here, I always have nice people around. This post, is the proof itself.

Greetings and thank you.

Country
ukraine
There is especially a lot of work now and not much time for all the answers. In addition, the developers themselves have many questions that require study and they have to be studied in practice, gaining experience with their own labor. I think that at some point everyone will have enough time and experience to help, support and share their knowledge with those who wish and have difficulties.

Respectfully
'Old FSX Dog' forever and ever.

Last edited:

hairyspin

Resource contributor
Country
unitedkingdom
It depends how you view the forums here. My habit is to view New Posts and I find there are often several pages of new stuff each visit. This contrasts markedly with just before MSFS was released, when I might get a page, maybe half a page, rarely more than one page of new posts. So my impression is people are busy and bothered with MSFS.

Country
unitedstates
>>To be honest, in my case, I often get more useful replies when I ask questions in other forums. Not sure if others have the same feeling.
yes I agree, but still I had some good info here late 2020 , , but mostly from 1 or 2 people who are no longer active here..

I think there's a lot of new developers looking for info and the this site has lots of older developers that have been through it already and are annoyed by the newbies, "read the docs" is the most common reply , which doesn't help at all, if some of the old good information could be posted and brought up to date, there's a lot of experience here ... or maybe a new forum for new developers

jtanabodee

Resource contributor
Country
thailand
I personally agree with that there are other sub forums. So, there would be more specific questions and more replies there.
But...I start to wonder if there are too many platforms and updates now. It is hard to keep up with those new ones, P3D v4.5. P3dv5 MSFS, Xplane etc. Just making old sceneries to compatible with the new ones making me no time to have new projects on other airports. The method of making might be easier but the painfull is the learning process as well.
I like the idea of Old FSX Dog. Time pass by, we are getting old every minute. The new platform always mean more informations to learn and time consuming. Within a few years, there will be an Old P3D Dog as well.

Cédrice

Resource contributor
Country
france
That's a good point! Seems we MAXers are a dying breed and should also check the Blender forum occasionally
Do you work with 3DS? gods stay there you're in luck😲. I only regret having learned Blender, if I were MAXers I would already be in a studio... a real studio. Professionals in the field exclusively use 3DSMax / Maya😢

Country
us-newyork
I agree with arno. The activity level here has definitely increased since MSFS was released. I do think that there are also a lessened number of responses to P3d and FSX threads. There never was much X-Plane activity here and in my opinion the level of discussion by X-Plane developers elsewhere on the interwebble hasn't changed very much since MSFS was released.

All this leads me to conclude that MSFS is dominating the flightsim community. This was to be expected. As flightsims go, the MSFS market size is immense and Asobo hasn't really documented the SDK all that well, leaving development to people who like a challenge. The SDK is still more of a jigsaw puzzle than a viable tool. I don't develop software myself but I do work with commercial flightsim developers on MSFS alphas and closed betas. I suspect that most of them have no hair left to pull out at this point.

Cédrice

Resource contributor
Country
france
A rumor is circulating that in the future P3Dv6 would use Google map/photograpmetric data and a new weather engine.

Country
canada
A rumor is circulating that in the future P3Dv6 would use Google map/photograpmetric data and a new weather engine.
That would be amazing, however with that rumour I see you rumour and raise you a "Subscription based sim", after all it's not for entertainment. :p