• Which the release of FS2020 we see an explosition of activity on the forun and of course we are very happy to see this. But having all questions about FS2020 in one forum becomes a bit messy. So therefore we would like to ask you all to use the following guidelines when posting your questions:

• Tag FS2020 specific questions with the MSFS2020 tag.
    • Questions about making 3D assets can be posted in the 3D asset design forum. Either post them in the subforum of the modelling tool you use or in the general forum if they are general.
    • Questions about aircraft design can be posted in the Aircraft design forum
    • Questions about airport design can be posted in the FS2020 airport design forum. Once airport development tools have been updated for FS2020 you can post tool speciifc questions in the subforums of those tools as well of course.
    • Questions about terrain design can be posted in the FS2020 terrain design forum.
    • Questions about SimConnect can be posted in the SimConnect forum.

Any other question that is not specific to an aspect of development or tool can be posted in the General chat forum.

By following these guidelines we make sure that the forums remain easy to read for everybody and also that the right people can find your post to answer it.

Help with Scenery Area Problem

Country
canada
where would this area be?
bH4fD.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

hcornea

Resource contributor
Country
australia
This refers to an abnormal entry in scenery.cfg which holds your fsx active library folder entries.

It usually results from deleting a scenery folder, that is still "active" in the FSX scenery library.

(A more specific thread title would be a great idea!)

Country
unitedstates
you can try to edit the scenery.cfg file manually.

Before editing, make a backup of the file. It is in the MICROSOFT FLIGHT SIMULATOR X main folder, scenery.cfg.

Open it in notepad and locat the following (mainly looking for area.124)

[Area.124]
Title=Some airport name or folder
Local=Scenery\Cities\Edwards_AFB
Layer=124
Active=TRUE
Required=TRUE

Delete that section and save. If this doesnt work, you have a backup copy.

Default location for FSX,
C:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft Games\Microsoft Flight Simulator X scenery.cfg

Another possible location
C:\Program Files\Microsoft Games\Microsoft Flight Simulator X scenery.cfg

Last edited:

scruffyduck

Administrator
Staff member
FSDevConf team
Resource contributor
Country
unitedkingdom
I have edited the title to make it more meaningful (I hope :))

hcornea

Resource contributor
Country
australia
@John ... I think that looks fine. And sorry to be picky, but there were two threads from the OP entitled "Help ...."

You may have to renumber any higher entries in the scenery.cfg file.

Alternatively, you could have "peek" at this entry then find the relevant entry via the FSX menus and let it do that for you.

you can try to edit the scenery.cfg file manually.

snip------------

Before editing, make a backup of the file. It is in the MICROSOFT FLIGHT SIMULATOR X main folder, scenery.cfg.

That is not the scenery.cfg file that FSX uses. DO NOT edit or change that file since it is part of the original new install of FSX.

We must know what Windows System the user has since the correct scenery.cfg is placed differently in XP, Vista, Win7, etc.

Country
us-arkansas
[Area.124]
Title=Some airport name or folder
Local=Scenery\Cities\Edwards_AFB
Layer=124
Active=TRUE
Required=TRUE

Note that this specific entry will only appear if you have FSX Acceleration installed.

Default FSX installations without Acceleration have 115 scenery layers, Acceleration has 120 scenery layers.

If you are having trouble with layer 124 - it is a scenery you have added.

Possibly you have added a scenery which modified the working scenery.cfg file automatically, and you have decided to manually remove that scenery, but not updated the information in the Scenery Library setup.

Country
canada
Awesome thanks
I found the file and found the that the areas only go to 120
here is the copy of the last file

[Area.120]
Title=Addon Scenery
Local=Addon Scenery
Layer=120
Active=TRUE
Required=FALSE

thanks for the help I know ADE works I used it a lot in 2002 I need to get to the bottom of this
Regards dreamer

scruffyduck

Administrator
Staff member
FSDevConf team
Resource contributor
Country
unitedkingdom
Bear in mind that you need to know which scenery.cfg is the active one. I think this is the most likely location for it: C:\ProgramData\Microsoft\FSX\scenery.cfg

Be aware of changing others. As mentioned already some are defaults and are not updated when you add or remove areas. The one in the FSX application folder for example is not updated - mine has 120 areas. I think this is used to recreate the default configuration if the active one is deleted. If you have found a file with 120 layers then it is not your active scenery.cfg.

Country
canada
Awesome fixed
Now back to the airport insertion problem... I put the airport in the scenery folder and FSX again will not recognize the airport and does not show in the airport list.
Is there a way I can manually insert an airport

Country
unitedstates
That is not the scenery.cfg file that FSX uses. DO NOT edit or change that file since it is part of the original new install of FSX.

We must know what Windows System the user has since the correct scenery.cfg is placed differently in XP, Vista, Win7, etc.

Ive edited before, that file. It worked for me. I also said to make a backup just in case it didnt work.

Country
unitedstates
Bear in mind that you need to know which scenery.cfg is the active one. I think this is the most likely location for it: C:\ProgramData\Microsoft\FSX\scenery.cfg

Be aware of changing others. As mentioned already some are defaults and are not updated when you add or remove areas. The one in the FSX application folder for example is not updated - mine has 120 areas. I think this is used to recreate the default configuration if the active one is deleted. If you have found a file with 120 layers then it is not your active scenery.cfg.

This is true, there are 3 or 4 scenery.cfg files, depending on your operating system.
I use WIN 7 now. When I made the changes it was Vista, and it worked. In Win7 I think its the scenery.cfg file in C:\Users\username\AppData\Roaming\Microsoft\FS9 and FSX respectively.

There is also a scenery.cfg for FS9 file in C:\Users\username\AppData\Local\VirtualStore\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft Games\Flight Simulator 9.

As for actual editing of the files, Always do so from a backup copy. It worked for me on Vista 64 when I had a similar error message, havent done it with W7 as I have had no issues yet.

Country
unitedstates
Well the scenery.dat files usually hold the sceneries to be loaded, but thats automatically generated when FS9 starts based on the active scenery list, to my understanding.
If you have the scenery bgl in a scenery folder
i.e. C:\Program Files\Microsoft Games\Flight Simulator 9\Addon Scenery\Scenery

Then you can delete the scenery.dat file located in C:\Program Files\Microsoft Games\Flight Simulator 9\Addon Scenery

FS9 will regenerate the scenery.dat file on startup.
That is for FS9, FSX I havent seen any scenery.dat files.

Other than that, Im all ears to see if anyone else knows how to do it in FSX.

Last edited:
Country
canada
Thanks

Yes it is the same file

I am operating with windows 7 64 home prem FSXA

I know this is something that will only require a left or right click but what an irritation like I have said I used ADE on earlier FS with amazing results thats why I did not hesitate to go pro.

Regards Dreamer

Country
unitedstates
try to make another one with a new project. Just mimic what is there. If that doesnt work, then it might be a bigger issue.
Should be simple, since it is just a water runway.

try the attached file

Attachments

• CAX3_ADEX.BGL
    632 bytes · Views: 523
Last edited:
Country
canada
No nothing and I see you removed CAP3 as well... I don’t understand why this is happening I have loaded OEBX no prob

Country
unitedstates
No nothing and I see you removed CAP3 as well... I don’t understand why this is happening I have loaded OEBX no prob

Ok, try to recreate on your end. shouldnt take more than 5 minutes. also make another fake airport right next to it and see if that one loads.

Just for future reference, I think you can just use:
%PROGRAMDATA%\Microsoft\fsx
...in Windows Explorer no matter which operating system.