• Which the release of FS2020 we see an explosition of activity on the forun and of course we are very happy to see this. But having all questions about FS2020 in one forum becomes a bit messy. So therefore we would like to ask you all to use the following guidelines when posting your questions:

• Tag FS2020 specific questions with the MSFS2020 tag.
    • Questions about making 3D assets can be posted in the 3D asset design forum. Either post them in the subforum of the modelling tool you use or in the general forum if they are general.
    • Questions about aircraft design can be posted in the Aircraft design forum
    • Questions about airport design can be posted in the FS2020 airport design forum. Once airport development tools have been updated for FS2020 you can post tool speciifc questions in the subforums of those tools as well of course.
    • Questions about terrain design can be posted in the FS2020 terrain design forum.
    • Questions about SimConnect can be posted in the SimConnect forum.

Any other question that is not specific to an aspect of development or tool can be posted in the General chat forum.

By following these guidelines we make sure that the forums remain easy to read for everybody and also that the right people can find your post to answer it.

MSFS MSFS - Unable to build package using fspackagetool, after using patch 1.16.2.0 (SOLVED)

Country
us-illinois
New SDK 13 is available.

Hello:

I have not yet had time to test this today, but I am compelled to inquire: :scratchch

Has anyone tested use of underscore (aka "underline" or _ ) characters instead of blank spaces in MSFS-2020 SDK v13 paths for files / folders ?

Does MSFS-2020 SDK v13 still require hyphens (aka "dash" or - ) characters used in MSFS-2020 for content names in SDK project input fields ?

CAVEAT: MSFS-2020 SDK v12 'rules' for Package name varies with the intended package contents:

"THE PROJECT EDITOR > Creating A New Project > Adding A Package​

• Package Name: The name of the package. There are some strict rules on how the package should be named depending on the contents of the package. The list of naming conventions to use is as follows (if a type of package is not mentioned here then you are free to name it as you see fit, but it's recommended to adopt a similar formatting style/structure, for example a visual effects package could be named vfx-<name>):
    • Airports: airport-<ICAO>-<airport_name>
    • Aircraft: aircraft-<aircraft_name>
    • Aircraft Liveries: aircraft-<aircraft_name>-livery-<livery_name>
    • Landing Challenges: landingchalenge-<ICAO>-<name>
    • Sightseeing Missions: sightseeing-<name>
    • Bushtrips: bushtrip-<name>
    • Model Libraries: modellib-<name>"

[EDITED]

However, MSFS-2020 SDK v13 rules 'may' have changed for use of underscore (aka "underline" or _ ) characters instead of blank spaces in MSFS-2020 SDK v13 paths for files / folders, as the online SDK docs have not 'yet' been updated from v12. :oops:

MSFS SDK v13 (now linked via MFS-2020 Developer Mode menu > Help > SDK Installer), also appears to enforce "strict rules" stated in MSFS SDK v12:

Although the online SDK docs have not 'yet' been updated from v12:

...the 'installed-to-disk' MSFS SDK v13 docs have been updated accordingly:

[MSFS SDK 0_13_0_0 install path]\Documentation\html\Developer_Mode\Project_Editor\The_Project_Editor.htm

"THE PROJECT EDITOR > Creating A New Project > Adding A Package​

• Package Name: The name of the package. There are some strict rules on how the package should be named depending on the contents of the package. The list of naming conventions to use is as follows (if a type of package is not mentioned here then you are free to name it as you see fit, but it's recommended to adopt a similar formatting style/structure, for example a visual effects package could be named vfx-<name>):
    • Airports: airport-<ICAO>-<airport_name>
    • Aircraft: aircraft-<aircraft_name>
    • Aircraft Liveries: aircraft-<aircraft_name>-livery-<livery_name>
    • Landing Challenges: landingchalenge-<ICAO>-<name>
    • Sightseeing Missions: sightseeing-<name>
    • Bushtrips: bushtrip-<name>
    • Model Libraries: modellib-<name>
  • Package Title: The package Title is essentially the "display name" for the package that the end-user will see, and is also the display name for the package on the Marketplace.
  • Package Creator: The name of the company or user(s) that is creating the package.
  • Manufacturer: The name of the manufacturer of the element in the package (this is only required when creating an aircraft package and can be ignored for anything else).
  • Content-Type: The type of package that you are making. The available content types are shown below:
    Which one of these different content types you select will depend on the package you are creating and the choice should follow these rules:
    • Unknown - This package type will only be shown when none of the types listed below are selected. This type will not permit you to build a package and a content type must be set before you can (this is done from the Inspector window for the package)
    • Aircraft - This package type is only for use when adding a new aircraft model to the simulator, and will require you to use The Aircraft Editor.
    • Instruments - This package type permits you to bundle cockpit instruments together for use in several aircraft.
    • Scenery - This package type is for scenery elements made using the The Scenery Editor (and is also used for Airports, but you should use the Airport Wizard as explained here instead)
    • Livery - This package type is for adding liveries to existing aircraft (see here for more information)
    • Mission - This package type is for creating missions using the The Script Editor.
    • Misc - This package type is for use for anything that doesn't fit into any of the "main" package types listed above (like Visual Effects, for example)."
[END_EDIT]

FYI: There are many non-MSFS applications / utilities which also do not accept blank spaces in paths for files / folders. ;)

NOTE: We also must NOT include the 'Caret' ( < or > ) characters used to demarcate parameter variables for input strings in MSFS-2020 SDK:

and Make Sure Not to Include the < or > in the name. I have lost count of the number of posts about failing to create a project and they show a project name of <EGCW>-<Welshpool> and wonder why it doesn't work

Indeed, Asobo must also put that additional CAVEAT into the MSFS SDK docs for v13 ...when the "revised edition" is finally posted online. :)

GaryGB

BTW: Regarding a related topic of path length under Windows 10, do some MSFS users still have issues with Windows 10, 32-Bit long file names ? :alert:

PS: Got some "maintenance" to do now ? Here is some more related info on how to deal with VERY long MSFS-2020 project file / folder paths:

GaryGB

Last edited:
Country
us-newyork
After I build using the fspackagetool I can not see my custom objects in the scenery editor. I can only see Asobos default items. Custom creations aren't spawning.

Yet, I have an unbuilt copy of the same project that I can open.

Also, does your fspackagetool build everything every time you process your project file?

Is anyone having these occurrences?

Last edited:
Country
us-arizona
Many thanks, Umberto and GB... I finally found my space I had missed and DOS window is back up and running. That was a long 3 days. :S

More of an annoyance than anything, but starting with 1.16.2 fspackagetool now generates a validation error because of a lack of a MarketPlaceData folder and/or a Business.json file. For those of us just creating freeware that will never be distributed through the Microsoft Marketplace, why is fspackagetool demanding that we enter a bunch of irrelevant metadata like price in our projects? What is the absolute minimum amount of this useless information that we must enter in order to make this error go away?

scruffyduck

Administrator
Staff member
FSDevConf team
Resource contributor
Country
unitedkingdom
More of an annoyance than anything, but starting with 1.16.2 fspackagetool now generates a validation error because of a lack of a MarketPlaceData folder and/or a Business.json file. For those of us just creating freeware that will never be distributed through the Microsoft Marketplace, why is fspackagetool demanding that we enter a bunch of irrelevant metadata like price in our projects? What is the absolute minimum amount of this useless information that we must enter in order to make this error go away?
It is actually a warning though the message describes it as an error. There are a couple of other things it does (did) create a message for. Just ignore it

I know that I can ignore it. But it means I have to check every time to see whether there is a real problem that I need to address. It is annoying and completely unnecessary. Sorry for the rant.

Kelvin Richardson

Resource contributor
Country
newzealand
I know that I can ignore it. But it means I have to check every time to see whether there is a real problem that I need to address. It is annoying and completely unnecessary. Sorry for the rant.
Same issue with the latest SDK changes. The previous version was fine, although I assume that seeing they've made changes then the latest package tool would be needed. For now I'm still using the prev version as it still works with no impacts.

Sent from my SM-G998B using Tapatalk

Country
germany
Same issue with the latest SDK changes. The previous version was fine, although I assume that seeing they've made changes then the latest package tool would be needed. For now I'm still using the prev version as it still works with no impacts.

Sent from my SM-G998B using Tapatalk

Ive got the message too on 0.12. But seemingly only once. Just saw the message and came here to see whats ging on again. Then on next build all worked.... Now im curious whats next ^^

Edit: Well... seems its always on the first build. On the second it works. So after every change i "have" to built twice to have this error disappear.

Last edited: