• Which the release of FS2020 we see an explosition of activity on the forun and of course we are very happy to see this. But having all questions about FS2020 in one forum becomes a bit messy. So therefore we would like to ask you all to use the following guidelines when posting your questions:

• Tag FS2020 specific questions with the MSFS2020 tag.
    • Questions about making 3D assets can be posted in the 3D asset design forum. Either post them in the subforum of the modelling tool you use or in the general forum if they are general.
    • Questions about aircraft design can be posted in the Aircraft design forum
    • Questions about airport design can be posted in the FS2020 airport design forum. Once airport development tools have been updated for FS2020 you can post tool speciifc questions in the subforums of those tools as well of course.
    • Questions about terrain design can be posted in the FS2020 terrain design forum.
    • Questions about SimConnect can be posted in the SimConnect forum.

Any other question that is not specific to an aspect of development or tool can be posted in the General chat forum.

By following these guidelines we make sure that the forums remain easy to read for everybody and also that the right people can find your post to answer it.

Texturing

Country
austria
  1. Create the object in Blender (walls, roof, garage doors)
  2. Create as many materials as you need (walls, roof, garage doors) and assign them.
Not sure why you would need to set up so many differnet materials ?
I'm not exactly sure if i understand correctly, but i'll give it a try.

Let's say you have a little hangar, that would consist of walls, a roof and a hangar door, right ?
Set up one material, name it "Hangar1" for example and export the whole hangar to SP - and there work with black masks.

Find a suitable material for the walls, drag it in your layer stack, add a black mask and just click the areas where you want the wall material to be (polygon fill).
Same for the roof and the doors.

As i said, maybe i didn't understand you correctly but if you paint everything (walls, roof, doors etc) seperately you'll end up with way too many different texture sets in my opinion.

Maybe i can show you what i mean - if you look at this container, it consists of the yellow walls, the white windows (and window frames) the green "border" and the concrete floor.
I didn't set up an individual material for each of these, rather i created one material "Container" and painted the whole thing in SP.

Screenshot (174)_LI.jpg

Country
russia
One thing you might need many different materials is if you want to preserve resolution and details. If you do it the way you describe above you'd be left with just one baked texture for the whole object. While it can be ok for smaller/not too important objects, for bigger things such as terminals it's just too difficult to use just one material for everything you may need.

Country
austria
While it can be ok for smaller/not too important objects, for bigger things such as terminals it's just too difficult to use just one material for everything you may need.
Of course, i just used my container (or the hangar) as an example here - in the end you'll have to decide for yourself which objects go an the same texture sheet, i was just saying that creating an extra texture for every single object may be a bit much.
I suggest @seippg (if you have maybe bought some) you take a look at one of your purchased/downloaded addons and inspect the texture folder - see how other developers handle their textures ?

Pyscen

Resource contributor
Country
us-texas
Keep in mind, materials aren't the same as the number of texture sheets used.

The materials has to do with what the building is made of and or the color of the materials used. Can also show the age of the same materials. Substance Painter is alot more than just the color, but what materials (as in metal, wood, and organics) were used to create it.

Multiple materials can be used and placed on a single texture sheet.

Country
unitedstates
Not sure if I got you correctly here, but in Substance Painter you can choose one material in an object at once (it's called "texture set" in SP) and work with it independently from other materials. So the most important thing in Blender is to correctly assign all your materials and give them plausible names.
So, I guess, what you would do is make a cut outline for each window, assign a "window" material to each, then, after you import into SP you import the png and drag it onto the outline. I guess you could make a "normal" in photo shop and select some "roughness" from somewhere else if you wanted it to be PBR?

Country
unitedstates
I suggest @seippg (if you have maybe bought some) you take a look at one of your purchased/downloaded addons and inspect the texture folder - see how other developers handle their textures ?
Good idea. I'll do that.

Country
russia
So, I guess, what you would do is make a cut outline for each window, assign a "window" material to each, then, after you import into SP you import the png and drag it onto the outline. I guess you could make a "normal" in photo shop and select some "roughness" from somewhere else if you wanted it to be PBR?

You can do the following for example:

1) In Blender choose all your windows. Assign your windows material to them.
2) Join the windows into a single object. UV Unwrap the object;
3) Export the object into FBX;
4) Open the FBX in SP
5) Apply the glass material to the windows.
6) Export the textures with FS2020 preset. It will spit out all three (albedo, metal, normal) textures that you need.
7) Put the textures into the texture slots in the export plugin. You will be able to see the result in the materials preview or cycles renderer.

Country
unitedstates
I'm not exactly sure if i understand correctly, but i'll give it a try.

Let's say you have a little hangar, that would consist of walls, a roof and a hangar door, right ?
Set up one material, name it "Hangar1" for example and export the whole hangar to SP - and there work with black masks.

Find a suitable material for the walls, drag it in your layer stack, add a black mask and just click the areas where you want the wall material to be (polygon fill).
Same for the roof and the doors.

As i said, maybe i didn't understand you correctly but if you paint everything (walls, roof, doors etc) seperately you'll end up with way too many different texture sets in my opinion.

Maybe i can show you what i mean - if you look at this container, it consists of the yellow walls, the white windows (and window frames) the green "border" and the concrete floor.
I didn't set up an individual material for each of these, rather i created one material "Container" and painted the whole thing in SP.
Interesting. I don't know how to use masks in SP yet. Yet. So, you can use masks instead of creating a separate window face in Blender?

Country
russia
Interesting. I don't know how to use masks in SP yet. Yet. So, you can use masks instead of creating a separate window face in Blender?
Masks in SP work just like photoshop's masks. You can use masks to assign a texture to a particular polygon in the UV (without a mask you will apply the texture to the entire active UV). Masks can be used to combine different materials on one sheet. As regards using masks instead of creating separate window face, that could be possible, but I am not sure why you would do that.