• Which the release of FS2020 we see an explosition of activity on the forun and of course we are very happy to see this. But having all questions about FS2020 in one forum becomes a bit messy. So therefore we would like to ask you all to use the following guidelines when posting your questions:

• Tag FS2020 specific questions with the MSFS2020 tag.
    • Questions about making 3D assets can be posted in the 3D asset design forum. Either post them in the subforum of the modelling tool you use or in the general forum if they are general.
    • Questions about aircraft design can be posted in the Aircraft design forum
    • Questions about airport design can be posted in the FS2020 airport design forum. Once airport development tools have been updated for FS2020 you can post tool speciifc questions in the subforums of those tools as well of course.
    • Questions about terrain design can be posted in the FS2020 terrain design forum.
    • Questions about SimConnect can be posted in the SimConnect forum.

Any other question that is not specific to an aspect of development or tool can be posted in the General chat forum.

By following these guidelines we make sure that the forums remain easy to read for everybody and also that the right people can find your post to answer it.

MSFS Transparent glass with Sketchup and MCX - Help, please!

Country
germany
Hi Arno and everybody else,

I started 3D modeling only recently and I'm getting along with Sketchup quite well so far. I know how to build scenery objects, export them to Collada, then convert them using MCX and place them in flight simulator 2020 SDK. But I can't get glass surfaces look like... glass! I already achieved transparency somehow by accident, but I can't reproduce the procedure that lead to success.

So can anybody explain step by step, how to make Sketchup materials look like real glass in MSFS, using only Sketchup and MCX. Please do not recommend Blender! This is just weekend fun for me. I spent a lot of time trying to understand Blender. But I'd prefer to spend more time with flying instead og studying. I'm sure it is possible to create glass only with Sketchup and MCX. But how???

I have the latest MCX developer version installed.

Hope that someone can help!
Jörg

Country
us-arizona
Jorg,
Are you using Blender or Max? In Blender, do you have the Blender2MSFS tools? You should have materials in it, such as MSFS Glass. You can create a new MSFS glass material and make changes to it.

Country
us-arizona
Oh, I see now, you are using MCX for complete transport to MSFS. Interesting.
I wonder if there is a way to find another object in MSFS and open it to see how the Materials in it were done?

Country
germany
Hi lionheart,
as I wrote, I'm not familiar with Blender. I'd like to do it all with Sketchup and MCX.

Country
germany
Thank you, GaryGB,

but this is only half of the story. I already know how to use materials and transparency in Sketchup. What I'm quite confused about is what comes next. When I load the exported Collada(dae) file into MCX I have to adjust certain special MSFS2020 settings for the textures, before I save the whole stuff in MSFS format. I have no idea which of the parameters I must set to which values to obtain real glass in the simulator.

I'm using Sketchup Shop (online). It fits perfectly my humble needs and skills and doesn't cost too much. I already designed and exported several objects for MSFS2020 and placed them on airports. They look pretty good, but the glass...

Jörg