• Which the release of FS2020 we see an explosition of activity on the forun and of course we are very happy to see this. But having all questions about FS2020 in one forum becomes a bit messy. So therefore we would like to ask you all to use the following guidelines when posting your questions:

• Tag FS2020 specific questions with the MSFS2020 tag.
    • Questions about making 3D assets can be posted in the 3D asset design forum. Either post them in the subforum of the modelling tool you use or in the general forum if they are general.
    • Questions about aircraft design can be posted in the Aircraft design forum
    • Questions about airport design can be posted in the FS2020 airport design forum. Once airport development tools have been updated for FS2020 you can post tool speciifc questions in the subforums of those tools as well of course.
    • Questions about terrain design can be posted in the FS2020 terrain design forum.
    • Questions about SimConnect can be posted in the SimConnect forum.

Any other question that is not specific to an aspect of development or tool can be posted in the General chat forum.

By following these guidelines we make sure that the forums remain easy to read for everybody and also that the right people can find your post to answer it.

Vertices problem

Country
saudiarabia
Hello everyone

While converting my object to MDL, I faced a problem which is the number of vertices.

This is the first time I faced such as this problem. In this time, I did something different. I combined my textures in one sheet in blender, and I didn't divide my object to parts like walls, roof,.. Ets.

So the new thing is I combined my textures, and I didn't devide my object.

XtoMDL/ error: Vertex list has too many vertices(129779),max allowed 65535
error: Attepting to add an invaild buffer.
error: Vertex list failed allocating. Most likely exceeds the 65535 limit

Any help please
Best regard
Borair

arno

Administrator
Staff member
FSDevConf team
Resource contributor
Country
netherlands
Hi,

The error is quite clear. In FSX a part can not have more than 65535 vertices and your part has more. So you need to split your part into two and give them a slightly different material.

On the other hand, MCX should try to do that automatically on export, but that does not seem to work here. If you can provide me a file to test I can check why that is.

arno

Administrator
Staff member
FSDevConf team
Resource contributor
Country
netherlands
Thanks for the file, I can reproduce the issue on my end with it. Let me see why the automatic splitting is not working as it should.

arno

Administrator
Staff member
FSDevConf team
Resource contributor
Country
netherlands
Hi,

I found the bug, in the next development release the object will export correctly again.

Country
us-ohio
I thought I'd piggyback on the previous poster's message and inquire how one can overcome this issue.

I have been successfully importing a variety of models but occasionally receive the dreaded "65535 limit" and not being a modeler myself (I'm more of a dabbler ;) ), I was wondering if someone could explain if I would be able to use MCX and fix the problems myself; and if so, how does one do this?

Thank you -- for an amazing tool, terrific support and patience.

KevinB
Ohio, USA

arno

Administrator
Staff member
FSDevConf team
Resource contributor
Country
netherlands
Hi Kevin,

In principle MCX should export with more than 65535 vertices as well. What it does is split parts that have more vertices into multiple parts and each assign them a slightly different material. But this feature is not always working right and on some models you still get that error. I have not yet been able to fully reproduce what is causing this.

arno

Administrator
Staff member
FSDevConf team
Resource contributor
Country
netherlands
Do you gave a good sample model that shows the problem? That might help to debug.

arno

Administrator
Staff member
FSDevConf team
Resource contributor
Country
netherlands
Hi,

Which version of MCX are you using?

I tried to import the Canterbury model, but I can export that one to a FSX MDL without any errors. The Ile de France model does not want to import here on my machine from the DAE file, I get an error that the DAE file can't be read.

Country
us-ohio
I just downloaded latest version from web site: 1.4. I'll try that real quick and see if it works.

Yes, I'm using 1.4

arno

Administrator
Staff member
FSDevConf team
Resource contributor
Country
netherlands
Could you try version 1.5 (which is the development release)? That's the version I tested with.

Country
us-ohio
Screenshot - 7_16_2021 , 4_26_45 PM.jpg

arno

Administrator
Staff member
FSDevConf team
Resource contributor
Country
netherlands
That's weird. Did you make any changes after loading the collada file? I just imported it and then directly exported to mdl.

Which sdk do you use by the way ?