• Which the release of FS2020 we see an explosition of activity on the forun and of course we are very happy to see this. But having all questions about FS2020 in one forum becomes a bit messy. So therefore we would like to ask you all to use the following guidelines when posting your questions:

• Tag FS2020 specific questions with the MSFS2020 tag.
    • Questions about making 3D assets can be posted in the 3D asset design forum. Either post them in the subforum of the modelling tool you use or in the general forum if they are general.
    • Questions about aircraft design can be posted in the Aircraft design forum
    • Questions about airport design can be posted in the FS2020 airport design forum. Once airport development tools have been updated for FS2020 you can post tool speciifc questions in the subforums of those tools as well of course.
    • Questions about terrain design can be posted in the FS2020 terrain design forum.
    • Questions about SimConnect can be posted in the SimConnect forum.

Any other question that is not specific to an aspect of development or tool can be posted in the General chat forum.

By following these guidelines we make sure that the forums remain easy to read for everybody and also that the right people can find your post to answer it.

scenery objects issue

Country
italy
I have added, the ad4 file, a screenshot of the libraries used and the bgl files of the libraries, in this way you can add the libraries in ade with LOM (to avoid the black square).

Attachments

• LIRF_ADEP4_ADE.zip
    2.6 MB · Views: 49
Country
us-illinois
Hi Davide:

This is what I see in P3Dv4 if I load your latest Modded LIRF_ADEP4_ADE.bgl above, along with- / on top of- the original LIRF BGL.

davide_lirf_adep4_ade_bgl_modded-2-jpg.83411

Although I have added your latest 3rd Party Libraries to ADE, it shows no apparent changes (unless I'm missing something).

However, I have not compiled the updated project yet, after having added your latest 3rd Party Libraries into ADE LOM.

UPDATE:

I have added your 3rd party libraries to P3Dv4 now along with the original LIRF and your latest Modded BGL.

This is the only change I see:

davide_lirf_adep4_ade_bgl_modded-3_with_3rd_party_libs-jpg.83417

PS: Please provide a text format list of 3D models used for your modded scenery.

I am not going to type 32-character GUIDS identified from a screenshot to search your decompiled BGL in NotePad++ to see if ADE included your requested 3D model placement info at compilation of the project into your BGL. o_O

I will, however, copy-and-paste a GUID from the text file to do troubleshooting ...if you provide the info as requested. ;)

By hovering the Mouse cursor over objects in ADE work-space, please state what 3D models you used for the new terminal.

BTW: Additionally, please attach a list of the 3rd scenery models are used to create your new modified BGL of LIRF Fiumicino.

This list may be captured via:

ADE Menu > Lists > 3rd Party Libraries Used > drag the bottom of that dialog box down to reveal all entries in (1) view.

Select / copy all BGL names in Left column > Paste into Windows NotePad.

Save that list out from NotePad as ex: LIRF-LIB.txt.

GaryGB

Attachments

• Davide_LIRF_ADEP4_ADE_bgl_MODDED-2.jpg
    Davide_LIRF_ADEP4_ADE_bgl_MODDED-2.jpg
    384 KB · Views: 234
  • Davide_LIRF_ADEP4_ADE_bgl_MODDED-3_with_3rd_Party_LIBs.jpg
    Davide_LIRF_ADEP4_ADE_bgl_MODDED-3_with_3rd_Party_LIBs.jpg
    378.2 KB · Views: 232
Last edited:
Country
italy
Hi Davide:

This is what I see in P3Dv4 if I load your latest Modded LIRF_ADEP4_ADE.bgl above, along with- / on top of- the original LIRF BGL.

davide_lirf_adep4_ade_bgl_modded-2-jpg.83411

Although I have added your latest 3rd Party Libraries to ADE, it shows no apparent changes (unless I'm missing something).

However, I have not compiled the updated project yet, after having added your latest 3rd Party Libraries into ADE LOM

PS: Please provide a text format list of 3D models used for your modded scenery.

I am not going to type 32-character GUIDS identified from a screenshot to search your decompiled BGL in NotePad++ to see if ADE included your requested 3D model placement info at compilation of the project into your BGL. o_O

I will, however, use copy-and-paste from the text file to do troubleshooting ...if you provide the info as requested. ;)

GaryGB
If you try to modify the bgl file and reopen p3d? I have the issue when I modify something and then compile it again

Country
us-illinois
Hi Davide:

I have a particular work-flow I plan to use in a sequence for this troubleshooting process.

First, I plan to examine what ADE wrote into your latest Modded LIRF BGL using a decompiler.

For that I shall require from you, the text format list of 3rd Party Libraries Used, so I can look for GUIDs of placed 3D models,.

If you encounter a 'lag' in selecting the list of 3rd Party Libraries Used with 3D models and GUID in the dialog, it will finish.

Then you can paste it into NotePad, write out a text file, and attach it here.

I do not yet intend to perform any modifications to the ADE project, or compiling, at this initial phase of troubleshooting.

FYI: P3Dv4 is inferior code / performance compared to MSFS 2020; you may wish to consider using MSFS and a payware LIRF.

https://secure.simmarket.com/mk-studios-rome-fiumicino-msfs.phtml

https://orbxdirect.com/product/mkstudios-lirf-msfs

GaryGB

Last edited:
Country
italy
Hi Davide:

I have a particular work-flow I plan to use in a sequence for this troubleshooting process.

First, I plan to examine what ADE wrote into your latest Modded LIRF BGL using a decompiler.

For that I shall require from you, the text format list of 3rd Party Libraries Used, so I can look for GUIDs of placed 3D models,.

If you encounter a 'lag' in selecting the list of 3rd Party Libraries Used with 3D models and GUID in the dialog, it will finish.

Then you can paste it into NotePad, write out a test file, and attach it here.

I do not yet intend to perform any modifications to the ADE project, or compiling, at this initial phase of troubleshooting.

FYI: P3Dv4 is inferior code / performance compared to MSFS 2020; you may wish to consider using MSFS and a payware LIRF.

https://secure.simmarket.com/mk-studios-rome-fiumicino-msfs.phtml

https://orbxdirect.com/product/mkstudios-lirf-msfs

GaryGB
Tomorrow I'll try to do every passage, my pc is a laptop, and mfs2020 won't run 😔

Country
italy

what do you mean??
Then you can paste it into NotePad, write out a text file, and attach it here.
I will copy and paste the guid of the third party library object, is this right?

Country
italy
library guid numbers, tell me if it is ok

Attachments

• library object guid numbers.txt
    1.3 KB · Views: 64
Country
us-illinois
Hi Davide:

Thank you for providing the text format list of 3D scenery models that you have utilized thus far in your LIRF project.

Before proceed further, I must bring to your attention the distinction between (2) latter versions of your Modded LIRF scenery.

NOTE: something in your LIRF airport Mods has changed display of your intended content, as seen in images posted above:

https://www.fsdeveloper.com/forum/threads/scenery-objects-issue.455715/post-905824

https://www.fsdeveloper.com/forum/threads/scenery-objects-issue.455715/post-905902

When your most recent LIRF airport BGL is loaded into ADE along with the scenery libraries you stated were to be used, ADE shows no Black Squares" in the work-space to indicate any objects are missing from the LOM database.

The LIRF airport configuration shown in the ADE work-space does not show the new Terminal 3 which IIUC, was already added.

Furthermore, I do not see any Exclusion Rectangles that would explain why scenery library objects used to place Terminal 3 are not being displayed in the ADE GUI (...or in P3Dv4 at run time).

Bearing in mind that ADE can only load (1) airport BGL at a time, in an attempt to see what the mix of scenery we load may actually do in FS at run time, if we load the mix of source BGLs for LIRF that IIUC, you intend to be used to create your Modded LIRF within P3Dv4, I do not see the new Terminal 3.

Because of how Jon coded ADE to deal with scenery library objects within a 'mixed content' airport BGL (aka a "hybrid" BGL), you must plan to always have certain source BGLs installed and linked via Area layer entries set Active in the FS Scenery Library.

I do not see a LIRF Terminal 3 when I load P3Dv4 with only the latter mix of scenery BGLs that IIUC, you intend to use to render LIRF at run time.

I also do not see a LIRF Terminal 3 in ADE.

To sort out this scenario, I must repeat a request that I previously posted above:

By hovering the Mouse cursor over objects in ADE work-space, please state what 3D models you used for the new terminal.

Do you have a more updated LIRF BGL which when loaded into ADE, now shows Terminal 3, or do you instead intend for that new Terminal 3 to be rendered only via:

[LIRF_P3Dv4_RWC install path]\LIRF_P3Dv4_RWC.bgl

I shall await your replay before proceeding further with searching your LIRF project BGLs for 3D model GUIDs.

GaryGB

Last edited:
Country
italy
I think there has been some confusion, maybe even created by me. So I would like to edit this scenario to update it and add the new terminals that have been added over the years. But when I go to edit the scenario and it is loaded into p3d v4, these facilities are not displayed. What I don't understand is, why don't these structures show up anymore when I edit?
I have attached a side by side image I hope that is clear.

Attachments

• original.jpg
    original.jpg
    563.8 KB · Views: 42
  • modificaation.jpg
    modificaation.jpg
    578.2 KB · Views: 41
Country
us-illinois
Davide:

We need a concise list of what BGLs you intend to be used to create a run time rendering of LIRF.

If that requires multiple Area layers in the Scenery Library GUI, we need a list of what BGLs are to be in each Area layer.

Finally, we need a list of how to "stack" those Area layers in Scenery Library GUI ...from top-to-bottm.

It is OK to use 3rd party scenery to create a "composite" airport using objects from multiple BGLs ...on our own computers.

But if we are going to do that using multiple BGLs located in multiple Area layers, we must define how they "stack up".

Please provide a list of what BGLs are to be included in specified Area layers within the scenery library.

By doing that, we will know what to include in our ADE project, so that as Area layers "stack up", the higher layers control display of what we intend to utilize- or not utilize- ...from lower Area layers.

NOTE: In ADE we do not require an Exclusion Rectangle to eradicate Jetways in lower Area layers of a composite airport "stack".

WHY: A default procedure in ADE when it de-compiles, copies, and reconstitutes an airport, is to always use this code:

<DeleteAirport
deleteAllRunways="TRUE"
deleteAllStarts="TRUE"
deleteAllHelipads="TRUE"
deleteAllFrequencies="TRUE"
deleteAllTaxiways="TRUE"
deleteAllAprons="TRUE"
deleteAllApronLights="TRUE"
deleteAllControlTowers="TRUE"
deleteAllJetways="TRUE"
deleteAllBoundaryFences="TRUE"
deleteAllBlastFences="TRUE"
deleteAllApproaches="TRUE"/>

If a lower Area layer is intended to place Jetways, and our top layer ADE BGL has that statement in its instructions for P3Dv4, then the rendering engine will not display Jetways from BGLs in layers below that containing our ADE-Modded airport.

So we must fix that by setting:

deleteAllJetways="FALSE"

...or we must place the Jetways ourselves within the top Area layer ADE-genrated BGL.

I do not see Jetways placed for LIRF Terminal 3 in what IIUC, is intended to be your latest top Area layer ADE-genrated BGL.

Remember a fundamental concept in FS scenery development is to: Exclude and Replace.

If a ADE BGL effectively "excludes" rendering of Jetways from LIRF BGLs in lower layers, our top layer BGL must "replace" them.

GaryGB

Last edited:
Country
italy
Davide:

We need a concise list of what BGLs you intend to be used to create a run time rendering of LIRF.

If that requires multiple Area layers in the Scenery Library GUI, we need a list of what BGLs are to be in each Area layer.

Finally, we need a list of how to "stack" those Area layers in Scenery Library GUI ...from top-to-bottm.

It is OK to use 3rd party scenery to create a "composite" airport using objects from multiple BGLs ...on our own computers.

But if we are going to do that using multiple BGLs located in multiple Area layers, we must define how they "stack up".

Please provide a list of what BGLs are to be included in specified Area layers within the scenery library.

By doing that, we will know what to include in our ADE project, so that as Area layers "stack up", the higher layers control display of what we intend to utilize- or not utilize- ...from lower Area layers.

NOTE: In ADE we do not require an Exclusion Rectangle to eradicate Jetways in lower Area layers of a composite airport "stack".

WHY: A default procedure in ADE when it de-compiles, copies, and reconstitutes an airport, it uses this code:

<DeleteAirport
deleteAllRunways="TRUE"
deleteAllStarts="TRUE"
deleteAllHelipads="TRUE"
deleteAllFrequencies="TRUE"
deleteAllTaxiways="TRUE"
deleteAllAprons="TRUE"
deleteAllApronLights="TRUE"
deleteAllControlTowers="TRUE"
deleteAllJetways="TRUE"
deleteAllBoundaryFences="TRUE"
deleteAllBlastFences="TRUE"
deleteAllApproaches="TRUE"/>

If a lower Area layer is intended to place Jetways, and our top layer ADE BGL has that statement in its instructions for P3Dv4, then the rendering engine will not display Jetways from BGLs in layers below that containing our ADE-Modded airport.

So we must fix that by setting:

deleteAllJetways="FALSE"

...or we must place the Jetways ourselves within the top Area layer ADE-genrated BGL.

I do not see Jetways placed for LIRF Terminal 3 in what IIUC, is intended to be your top Area layer ADE-genrated BGL.

Remember a fundamental concept in FS scenery development is to: Exclude and Replace.

If a ADE BGL effectively "excludes" rendering of Jetways from LIRF BGLs in lower layers, our top layer BGL must "replace" them.

GaryGB
Didn't understand...I'm really sorry for that, but I'm not an expert in the development of the scenery, I do this just tu update the airports following guides on YouTube, I always used to modify, compile and add the bgl file in: p3d v4 path/scenery/addon scenery/scenery and then is done, but with this airport it's very difficult

Country
us-illinois
Hi Davide:

To sort out this scenario, I must repeat (2) requests that I previously posted above:

Do you have a more updated LIRF BGL which when loaded into ADE, now shows Terminal 3, or do you instead intend for that new Terminal 3 to be rendered only via:

[LIRF_P3Dv4_RWC install path]\LIRF_P3Dv4_RWC.bgl

I shall await your replay before proceeding further with searching your LIRF project BGLs for 3D model GUIDs.

Please state which BGL you want to provide the 3D model for Terminal 3, and which Area layer you want to load it from.

GaryGB

Last edited:
Country
italy
this is the one and only LIRF scenario that I have. if I make ANY modification to the original bgl the buildings will disappear.
(I have noted that the buildings that disappear are that contained in the 3rd Party Libraries, so it's like that ade won't compile them)
I have attached the .txt with the third party library objects GUID and these objects are the ones that disappear the moment I go to make any change to the scenery.
if you try yourself you will undestand what I mean. Just try to :
1) add the stock lirf scenery in p3d addon scenery folder
2) run p3d and you will see the scenario working perfectly
3) open ade and add all the libraries to avoid the black squares and open the original lirf bgl
4) make any modification like move a ground vehicle or modify a parking number, now compile the bgl and replace in addon scenery folder
5) open the sim and you will see that all the buildings contained in the third party libraries are disappeared.
P.S. : if you look at the dimention of the original file and the modified one, you will notice that the original it's heavier than the modded.
let me know if you try this and what is the result.
Davide.

Attachments

• modificaation.jpg
    modificaation.jpg
    578.2 KB · Views: 33
  • original.jpg
    original.jpg
    563.8 KB · Views: 37
  • library object guid numbers.txt
    1.3 KB · Views: 53
Last edited:
Country
us-illinois
Hi Davide:

I shall return from my travels tomorrow (Sunday), and may post some recommendations here by Monday, for how you can ensure display of the LIRF scenery objects (even if that airport is processed / compiled) by ADE ...so that you can also make certain changes to the original configuration.

GaryGB

Country
italy
Hi Davide:

I shall return from my travels tomorrow (Sunday), and may post some recommendations here by Monday, for how you can ensure display of the LIRF scenery objects (even if that airport is processed / compiled) by ADE ...so that you can also make certain changes to the original configuration.

GaryGB
Thanks a lot GaryGB

Country
us-illinois
This is the one and only LIRF scenario that I have. If I make ANY modification to the original bgl the buildings will disappear.
(I have noted that the buildings that disappear are that contained in the 3rd Party Libraries, so it's like that ADE won't compile them)

I have attached the .txt with the third party library objects GUID and these objects are the ones that disappear the moment I go to make any change to the scenery.

If you try yourself you will understand what I mean. Just try to:

1) add the stock lirf scenery in p3d addon scenery folder
2) run p3d and you will see the scenario working perfectly
3) open ade and add all the libraries to avoid the black squares and open the original lirf bgl
4) make any modification like move a ground vehicle or modify a parking number, now compile the bgl and replace in addon scenery folder
5) open the sim and you will see that all the buildings contained in the third party libraries are disappeared.

P.S. : If you look at the dimension of the original file and the modified one, you will notice that the original it's heavier than the modded.

Let me know if you try this and what is the result.

Davide.

Hi Davide:

I shall not attempt to proceed, if any default P3Dv4 or add-on BGLs from the packages you cited above are located within:

[P3Dv4 install path]\Addon Scenery\Scenery

(...and any textures specified by RS or RWC located within [P3Dv4 install path]\Addon Scenery\Texture sub-folder )

I shall only attempt to proceed if:

1.) You create a FTX Central Scenery Library Insertion Point to leave room at the top for your files and add-ons from RS, RWC etc.

2.) Default P3Dv4 BGLs left in the sub-folder chains where they are originally installed by the Lockheed Martin P3D installer

3.) BGLs for any / all packages containing scenery intended for use at LIRF from RS, RWC, and you ...are:

a.) in separate new folder chains with a top folder and a Scenery sub-folder

NOTE: (...and textures located within a \Texture sub-folder only if specified by RS or RWC)

b.) linked to separate new Area layers at / near the top above all OrbX Area layers ...in P3Dv4 Scenery Library GUI stack of layers.

Also, please attach to a reply here, the very latest ADE *.AD4 project file for your intended modifications at LIRF.

Please state which source BGL you used to create your derived ADE *.AD4 project file ex:

* Default Prepar3D v4.x airport BGL (aka "Stock" LIRF):

[Prepar3D_v4 install path]\Scenery\0602\scenery\APX51170.bgl (ADE automatically finds this for you if you Open "Stock" LIRF)

...or:

* Add-on Prepar3D_v4 LIRF by Robert W. Catherall: [LIRF_P3Dv4_RWC]\Scenery\LIRF_P3Dv4_RWC.bgl

...or:

* Add-on FSX LIRF by Ray Smith: [FSX_lirf_rs]\Scenery\LIRF_RS.BGL

GaryGB

Last edited:
Country
unitedkingdom
I have a pretty comprehensive Orbx installation on my P3Dv5 and v4 computers. I’ll have a look at the ad4s later.

In my experience, and especially with P3Dv5, a couple of extra measures are often needed to ensure that your ADE-created scenery works properly.

Firstly, in your ADE project ‘Load Stock Data’ to bring in the stock buildings (and only the buildings). Then delete them in ADE. Make sure you’re using it in P3Dv5 mode*. This will apply excludes to the stock buildings that v5 will honour.

Secondly, remove any Orbx references to LIRF. I don’t just rename the files, I take them out of the Orbx scenery folders and place them in a holding folder. Note that if you reinstall or validate the Orbx scenery in future, you may have to go through this process again. Note: this is on top of the processes that GaryGB recommends, which I heartily endorse!

Thirdly, make sure that all the scenery objects you wish to use have been converted to P3Dv4.4 compatibility in MCX. V5 is picky about what it displays, and sometimes objects to earlier formats.

*If you are using the P3Dv5.3 SDK to provide the relevant actors to ADE, Dutch it and replace it with the v5.2 SDK. There are problems - particularly with shp2vec - in the v5.3 SDK which LM have not yet addressed and which can screw up scenery creation.

Edit:having re-read the thread (on my phone), it would appear this is in P3Dv4.5 which is normally less problematic than v5.3. I’ll try your ad4s on my v4.5 installation.

Last edited:
Country
unitedkingdom
OK, it turned out I already had the FSX version of LIRF by Ray Smith (which I'd updated to P3Dv4 for myself) and I've now downloaded the updated version by Robert Catherall - screenshot attached, along with one of the stock airport..

As Jon carefully explained in post #23, Ray included his very modest number of additional minor scenery items by adding them as models to the .ad4 file, not as .bgls. You can't extract the models from the .ad4 file, and if you attempt to modify the scenery objects in ADE you may well lose the lot - as you've found. The vast majority of the buildings in this scenery are stock Microsoft FSX (possibly even FS9) items, so they are easy to restore by starting from the stock airport in ADE. However, Ray Smith did all the good work by allocating parking spaces and slightly adjusting the airport layout to better represent reality. You could reproduce this, or (for your own use only) you could start from Ray's airfield layout, add the stock buildings as a .bgl (they're in Prepar3DvX\Scenery\EurW\Scenery\Rome.bgl), add Ray's additional scenery items extracted via MCX and exported as a P3Dv4.4 .bgl, and then whatever additional modifications you wish to make. From Gary's screenshots of the difference between the Ray Smith scenery and your modified one, it looks like you're trying to modify the background. I'm not sure what you're trying to achieve exactly, but using the method I've outlined would allow you to change the airport materials and create your own airfield background CVX in whatever style you wish (as catered for by ADE). You could also, of course, create a photoreal background using FS Earth Tiles or SBuilder X to enhance the airfield. This last can be done with no mods to Ray's airfield.

Attachments

• LIRF P3Dv5 1.jpg
    LIRF P3Dv5 1.jpg
    542.6 KB · Views: 44
  • LIRF P3Dv5 2.jpg
    LIRF P3Dv5 2.jpg
    532.2 KB · Views: 42
Last edited: