• Which the release of FS2020 we see an explosition of activity on the forun and of course we are very happy to see this. But having all questions about FS2020 in one forum becomes a bit messy. So therefore we would like to ask you all to use the following guidelines when posting your questions:

• Tag FS2020 specific questions with the MSFS2020 tag.
    • Questions about making 3D assets can be posted in the 3D asset design forum. Either post them in the subforum of the modelling tool you use or in the general forum if they are general.
    • Questions about aircraft design can be posted in the Aircraft design forum
    • Questions about airport design can be posted in the FS2020 airport design forum. Once airport development tools have been updated for FS2020 you can post tool speciifc questions in the subforums of those tools as well of course.
    • Questions about terrain design can be posted in the FS2020 terrain design forum.
    • Questions about SimConnect can be posted in the SimConnect forum.

Any other question that is not specific to an aspect of development or tool can be posted in the General chat forum.

By following these guidelines we make sure that the forums remain easy to read for everybody and also that the right people can find your post to answer it.

MSFS 3-D Lights in MSFS

Christian Bahr

Resource contributor
Country
germany
Hi.

I would like to ask if there is a possibility to add the internal runway lights of the MFS to his own 3-D model. What are meant are the lights that are green on one side and red on the other, etc. The internal MFS lights should actually have a GUID ?!
Or asked a little differently. Can you create these internal runway lights yourself with a suitable 3-D model, the corresponding textures and the material settings. Are there any experiences yet?

Country
luxembourg
Not me but I am watching this thread :)

I would like to add a default obstacle light (such as is attached to the default wind turbine model) to my models. But I have no idea how.

Milan

Country
germany
It *looks* like is not possible at the moment? I have noticed almost all 3rd party developers use the default 3D models for the runway light. Hence they also didn't figure it out perhaps?

Christian Bahr

Resource contributor
Country
germany
It *looks* like is not possible at the moment? I have noticed almost all 3rd party developers use the default 3D models for the runway light. Hence they also didn't figure it out perhaps?
I almost thought something like that :)

Christian Bahr

Resource contributor
Country
germany
Hi,

Is it this howto that you research ?
Unfortunately not. A separate 3-D model of the taxi lamp is already available:

3d_light_mfs.jpg

A point light is to be attached to this 3-D model. Point light means the internal runway lights of the MFS. A rotating dynamic light can be seen in the video shown. That is not what is meant by point light.
But maybe I can do something similar with the MFS LOD system, as is the case with my 3-D lights for the P3D. The 3-D lights for P3D are available here in the forum as a resource.

Country
luxembourg
Yes Christian, I suppose a MSFS 2020 version of your 3D lights might help until a proper and to the developer available implementation of native MSFS 2020 lights is available.

I also noticed that even a commercial scenery does not have any obstacle light and, sadly, an obstacle light does not show over a default windmill if placed into a custom scenery.

Christian Bahr

Resource contributor
Country
germany
There is no need to do so at the moment, the problem has been partially resolved :)

Because I have just found a solution that is satisfactory at the moment. The runway lighting currently looks like this and that should be enough for the moment:

mfs_bahrometrix_edle_night_lights_1.jpg

mfs_bahrometrix_edle_night_lights_2.jpg

Later, when you have a little more time, you can deal with these very specific things. For the moment, as I said, the interim solution of the runway lights must be sufficient :)

Country
germany
There is no need to do so at the moment, the problem has been partially resolved :)

Because I have just found a solution that is satisfactory at the moment. The runway lighting currently looks like this and that should be enough for the moment:

View attachment 64104

View attachment 64105

Later, when you have a little more time, you can deal with these very specific things. For the moment, as I said, the interim solution of the runway lights must be sufficient :)
But this is the default one, isn't? I mean the 3D model.

Christian Bahr

Resource contributor
Country
germany
We are still in the process of finding a good solution for self-made 3D lights in MSFS. Now, after the last publication of the last project in Essen/Mülheim, there is more time to do research on this topic, at least until the developers of MSFS offer us all a solution via the SDK.

The aim is to create a similar LOD system with the 3D models as was possible in the P3D. Small and first results can be shown ... :)

msfs_3d_lights_1.jpg

This is the first prototype of a taxi light. Once in MSFS and once in 3dsm 2020

msfs_3d_lights_2.jpg

Here the same taxi light in the dark. The default lamp of the MSFS is in the background

Country
greece
Looks really good!
How do you illuminate the blue bulp? Do you use the light provided by the SDK? Can you see the light from distance?

Regards,

-=Manwlo=-

Christian Bahr

Resource contributor
Country
germany
Hi!

The range of the light is ensured by the LOD system - if that works at all as we imagine. The light is currently generated from a combination of texture & MSFS material settings, the SDK is not used for this.

Country
greece
Hi!

The range of the light is ensured by the LOD system - if that works at all as we imagine. The light is currently generated from a combination of texture & MSFS material settings, the SDK is not used for this.
I was actually asking if you used the ASOBO flightsim light from 3DS max (I did not express myself correctly) :)

-=Manwlo=-

Christian Bahr

Resource contributor
Country
germany
Ah, now I know which lights you mean:

msfs_asobo_lights.jpg

Asobo Spot Lights (FlightSimLight)

No, I use the Asobo Lights exclusively for the exterior lighting of buildings and the airport. These are, so to speak, dynamic lights. The lights we try to create are usually called spot lights. As far as I know, they don't yet exist, or they are undocumented in the SDK. Or maybe you know more about that? :)

Country
greece
Ah, now I know which lights you mean:

Asobo Spot Lights (FlightSimLight)

No, I use the Asobo Lights exclusively for the exterior lighting of buildings and the airport. These are, so to speak, dynamic lights. The lights we try to create are usually called spot lights. As far as I know, they don't yet exist, or they are undocumented in the SDK. Or maybe you know more about that? :)

Yes these are the ones and you are correct, they are dynamic lights so they won't do. I 'm familiar with your technique with LODs for P3D runway lights -which I used (slightly modified)-
I have no idea how to create this kind of light in MSFS (and I don't think there is someone that does taking into account that all the sceneries till today -even those from top designers- use the default MSFS lighting system.)
If something comes up I will certainly share it with the community :)

Regards,

-=Manwlo=-

Christian Bahr

Resource contributor
Country
germany
I made a mistake in the post above. I meant point lights, of course. What we need are point lights with high visibility :)

Last edited: