• Which the release of FS2020 we see an explosition of activity on the forun and of course we are very happy to see this. But having all questions about FS2020 in one forum becomes a bit messy. So therefore we would like to ask you all to use the following guidelines when posting your questions:

• Tag FS2020 specific questions with the MSFS2020 tag.
    • Questions about making 3D assets can be posted in the 3D asset design forum. Either post them in the subforum of the modelling tool you use or in the general forum if they are general.
    • Questions about aircraft design can be posted in the Aircraft design forum
    • Questions about airport design can be posted in the FS2020 airport design forum. Once airport development tools have been updated for FS2020 you can post tool speciifc questions in the subforums of those tools as well of course.
    • Questions about terrain design can be posted in the FS2020 terrain design forum.
    • Questions about SimConnect can be posted in the SimConnect forum.

Any other question that is not specific to an aspect of development or tool can be posted in the General chat forum.

By following these guidelines we make sure that the forums remain easy to read for everybody and also that the right people can find your post to answer it.

MSFS [GUIDE] Converting Aircraft from FSX to MSFS

Country
unitedstates
Hello,

i am really not able to reproduce this tutorial, it is very good, but i am realy not confirm with such programms and editing cfg's.
So i search for a B737-800 WL version since MSFS is out. Now i read your Post about your B737 and want to ask if you can share it ?
That would be very nice of you !
Thanks
Matthias

Hi. I’m sorry but I will not share it as it is copy-write protected material.
James

Country
australia
Yes I have thanks, however the particular table I'm trying to find is what the engines.cfg calls mach_0_corrected_commanded_ne_table and the mach_hi version.
You might have missed it then as it's listed in Row 30 in the engines.cfg tab :)

You might have missed it then as it's listed in Row 30 in the engines.cfg tab :)
tab - didn't see the tabs *slaps head* doh! Thanks, I figured it out yesterday in the end with a little big of guess work. Will have a look at that tab and see what else I need to find - thanks :)

Country
unitedstates
Thank you for this guide! I've managed to get a Saab 340 converted into FS2020. Flaps were broken when i brought it in but managed to fix them, I'm having a hard time figuring out a throttle issue I've run into. Basically, at 0% throttle on the lever the engine torque never goes below 93%. at full throttle I'm seeing literally double the torque the engine should have. In the engines.cfg I've tried changing the torque values but it has made zero effect. Just wanted to see if this is something you've run into and whether or not I'm going to have to find it in the .air file or if I just overlooked something in the engines.cfg. Thanks for any and all help on this!

how_to_fix.png

Country
canada
A question for anyone who's successfully converted a plane: Does the plane retain its flight characteristics as they were in FSX, or do you basically have to start from scratch, redefining them in FS2020 (or is it a mix of the two)?

Paul Domingue

Resource contributor
Country
us-california
A question for anyone who's successfully converted a plane: Does the plane retain its flight characteristics as they were in FSX, or do you basically have to start from scratch, redefining them in FS2020 (or is it a mix of the two)?
On my one successful conversion the flight dynamics feel the same as it did in FSX. More testing needed.

Country
australia
There are significant changes in the flight model but it should feel similar. You're much better off though going through the SDK and updating the FDE to match the new sim.

Paul Domingue

Resource contributor
Country
us-california
There are significant changes in the flight model but it should feel similar. You're much better off though going through the SDK and updating the FDE to match the new sim.
I've been following your steps for the CFGs and the AIR files but not completed as of yet. On another note. I can not open the Edit Package menu. I've followed the SDK with the aircraft sample and I've started a new project for one of my models in Max but that is a stumbling block. I can't add my assets to the package without opening the Edit Package and that has me frustrated.

Paul Domingue

Resource contributor
Country
us-california
BTW, this thread needs to be moved to the MSFS SDK DevMode if possible. I had started a similar thread there on the same topic before I found this one.

Country
unitedstates
I followed these steps and have been successful, however when trying to port over the Grumman Goose I cannot for the life of me get the right engine to crank over fully. Itll try to start but its almost like its not getting fuel. Can someone maybe take a look at the files and see where I went wrong or address what I should work on editing? thanks! Top picture, you'll see the right engine will fire in slew mode but gradually shut down.

Id like to just get the aircraft flyable before I make other major changes, any input or help is much appreciated!
gooseair.png
goosewater.png

Whats known:
The A typical gauges do not work in the cockpit

Goal:
Eventually fix the floats to stable the aircraft in the water while floating.
Fix Gauges
Re-craft interior

Country
canada
For those of you converting your first plane, you might want to consider using the tool that's posted on nexusmods.

I just did my first conversion (Carenado 185), and it took me about 10 minutes from start to finish to have the plane in FS2020!

Ok, so it doesn't actually fly :oops: , and, of course, has no gauges, but I think that's a pretty good baseline to start out from, without having to do any of the gruntwork.
P.S. It flies just fine, once I switch to Legacy mode.

Last edited:
Country
unitedstates
For those of you converting your first plane, you might want to consider using the tool that's posted on nexusmods.

I just did my first conversion (Carenado 185), and it took me about 10 minutes from start to finish to have the plane in FS2020!

Ok, so it doesn't actually fly :oops: , and, of course, has no gauges, but I think that's a pretty good baseline to start out from, without having to do any of the gruntwork.
P.S. It flies just fine, once I switch to Legacy mode.
how did you "switch" to legacy mode?

Country
canada
how did you "switch" to legacy mode?
It's under Options - General - Flight Model

(Also, I didn't create any of the other .cfg files — only aircraft.cfg was created/updated, and I converted the textures via the ImageTools option in the Textures tab. Once the other .cfg files are created, that's when things get tricky...)

Country
unitedstates
Anyone have any insight... Was finally able to get a CFG file for my SR71 to be able to fly. It's using the Jet engine model in FS2020 to fly appropriately. However for the life of me I can't figure out how to make the engines stop generating thrust at idle. Sitting on the ground; without a brake on will make the plane taxi at around 70 knots. How do I prevent this?

Lagaffe

Resource contributor
Country
france
Since patch 1.8.3.0, it was not possible to switch to the VC of an FSX aircraft that has been ported to MSFS. Flying with the outside model is not a problem as long as you do not try to switch into the cockpit.

If you are able to edit .mdl files in ModelConverterX, you can remove all mouse rectangle assignments from the interior model.
Using the Object Heirarchy view, highlighting all of the elements, and set the Mouse Rectangle field to None.
Then export it back out, delete any related CVT folder that may be present, and you should be good to go.

I just tested this with P-51D Racer aircraft and I can fly again with it!

Country
unitedstates
Since patch 1.8.3.0, it was not possible to switch to the VC of an FSX aircraft that has been ported to MSFS. Flying with the outside model is not a problem as long as you do not try to switch into the cockpit.

If you are able to edit .mdl files in ModelConverterX, you can remove all mouse rectangle assignments from the interior model.
Using the Object Heirarchy view, highlighting all of the elements, and set the Mouse Rectangle field to None.
Then export it back out, delete any related CVT folder that may be present, and you should be good to go.

Okay awesome, thank you for the update. I was going crazy thinking it was something in one of the .cfg files I wrote.

Country
unitedstates

did you re export them back into MDL? whats your options export path? I keep getting a failure due to not locating the FSX to MDL

Country
unitedstates
Was anyone able to assign a working gauge ,either from converted airplanes or from stock one , to a flyable converted plane, with non working gauges ?? I mean just the basic gauges, ASI, VS, Altitude ?