• Which the release of FS2020 we see an explosition of activity on the forun and of course we are very happy to see this. But having all questions about FS2020 in one forum becomes a bit messy. So therefore we would like to ask you all to use the following guidelines when posting your questions:

    • Tag FS2020 specific questions with the MSFS2020 tag.
    • Questions about making 3D assets can be posted in the 3D asset design forum. Either post them in the subforum of the modelling tool you use or in the general forum if they are general.
    • Questions about aircraft design can be posted in the Aircraft design forum
    • Questions about airport design can be posted in the FS2020 airport design forum. Once airport development tools have been updated for FS2020 you can post tool speciifc questions in the subforums of those tools as well of course.
    • Questions about terrain design can be posted in the FS2020 terrain design forum.
    • Questions about SimConnect can be posted in the SimConnect forum.

    Any other question that is not specific to an aspect of development or tool can be posted in the General chat forum.

    By following these guidelines we make sure that the forums remain easy to read for everybody and also that the right people can find your post to answer it.

my DC-8 Project

Would you like me too...


  • Total voters
    21
wing root corrections completed at front and rear no smoothing errors! wing root under shape also corrected.

we are ready for flaps modeling, the next mile stone with dc8 will be to have working flaps...first gmax preview should be next Saturday.
 
Crude beginnings of the VC

The DC-8 has a very complex looking cockpit -- one hardly knows how or where to begin. I have many photos, including some good wide angle shots with the seats taken out, but no scale drawings except for the panels. Everything has to be done by eye so that it more or less looks "right" and all fits together in the available space. So I am starting by putting in all the major components as separate pieces in a crude, low poly kind of way with nothing joined together as I may have to resize and move everything around quite a bit as I go. When this process is complete, I will import the result into the exterior model to serve as the very basic VC one can see from the outside view. I will then carry on with the VC proper, adding rounded corners and edges, more detail and polys to the basic forms.

I wasn't planning to be spend time on this now, but I am just too tired tonight to work on home renos or packing for the move.

6814937400_85ccb96924_b.jpg
 
Looking good Michael, im holding off on the VC, want to complete the exterior first...the vc is a whole different beast.
 
well here we go, everything is setup in gmax and in the next few hours the flaps system assembly will start taking shape, everuthing will look like a constrcuction site as I split, slice and lay out splines here and there...I believe the only issue will be how the flaps animate...do they come out a little and then pivot down? if someone can find images, videos or information...now is a good time to share it!
 
There is a document on the web called "Applied aerodynamics at the Douglas Aircraft Company" that has a drawing of the extended flaps in cross section. It's more of a sketch than a scale technical drawing, but it gives you the basic idea of how the animation should work. If you haven't already done so, I would suggest searching Airliners.net using the "window view" search category to find photos with the flaps extended. Looks to me like both tiers of the flaps extend back as well as rotating down.

The planform photo I gave the link to a couple of pages up is also useful to show how far back the flaps extend.

But I don't know if they extend before rotating, or whether it's simultaneous -- maybe that's what you're asking?

Possibly they rotate in an arc with it's centre some distance below the wing. I plan to start by trying that and if it doesn't work, I'll try two animations - one for rotation and one for extension. In fact, now that I think about it, the second option might be easier to precisely control so maybe I'll do try that first after all. I'm guessing the extension and rotation should take place at the same time.
 
Last edited:
More wing root adjustments...

WARNING!!! Giant picture, sorry for size. Just snapped a pic of my display with phone and uploaded.

2012-03-09123041.jpg


You can also see the smoothing error near the outward landing gear door cut outs from the wing has been corrected, good stuff.

The initial inner flap section has been cut. Now I have to start shapping it slowly.

Looking at as many photographs as I can. I also see the outward flap burrows into the inner flap.

Later folks.
 
Last edited:
Update!

Progress is slow but I am getting there. The inner flap is taking shape nicely. I just got done attaching the part that hides inside the wing root.

2012-03-10112222.jpg


I am doing a lot of improvising with parts due to lack of photographs but the structures start to make sense when I make what I can see, then I make an adjustment to something that makes sence while using photographs, the results are good so far.

I can tell everyone that I will be spending a great deal of time on the wing...possibly 3 months...you all know why. As I build and shape at certain points I may remodel stuff to get it just right.

Later guys.
 
The royal messs lol

2012-03-11122840.jpg


Giving the wing root door area more slope, as depicted by photographs.

The top slat for the large left inner flap is in place. Tond of work going on here...more later.
 
Update!

Last one for the week.

I got everything together for an export test, behold the first previews of partially completed flaps.

dc8flaps.png


The wing root was heavily refined and is now to my liking.

Landing gear doors were slightly adjusted. Wheel wells were also adjusted.

Still lots of work to do to finish flaps. See you guys next week.
 
I uploaded a nice 2 min. video » http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rJw8jF8Fous ; it shows the DC8 taxying into a runway and then taking off for a test flight.

Features the latest export. I adjusted the turbine fins and the bloody wing root again, I believe the wing root has had its final adjustment.

Hope you guys like the video!

Later.
 
Looking excellent man!

Thanks!

Alright everyone, its one of those moments when I really need your help.

I need the best up close and personal dc8 flaps pictures or videos you can find.

I cant do it over my phone...too time consuming.

Thanks again all.
 
Thank you Michael and Ztimbre, great stuff!

The wing is undergoing massive work right now, looks like a disaster not even worth showing!

Just picture about 300 men with the flashes and sparks from welding flying off working over and under the wing. Thats what is going on right now, lol...dont forget to add 3 cranes with flap pieces hanging from them.

No update till this madness is complete.
 
Update!

The madness is done but lots of work to do still!

preview1.png


Wing and wing tips were worked on, aft fuselage minor work done, vertical stab adjusted, rudder adjusted, outward flap assembly taking shape.

Its still messy work at this point but its getting there. This is going to take some time.

Thanks to everyone for the great feedback so far.

Later folks.
 
Just an update for you guys. I've run into some financial issues and I may be getting my power cut off some time this week. This means I wont be able to work on the DC8 until I get power back on which, I hope really soon...I'm really not looking forward to living in an apartment with no power but at least I've got water anyway.

So, you may not see any more updates from me for some time maybe 1 month who knows, I am really not sure how the situation will turn out.

Anyway, I'm still working out the details on the flaps and they are taking shape nicely. I will get lots of work done on it this week, assuming they don't cut the power off this cut, got my fingers crossed.

I am supposed to be getting a tax bonus check for around $2k if I get that this week, I will be saved but if I don't, oh well then I've got some tough times ahead of me. It's really a gamble when your waiting for something that comes from the IRS because, they may even take the money for themselves and I happen to have student loans under forbearance but I think that shouldn't be a problem.

I've began to think what I'm going to do next on the DC8 once the wing work is complete and it just hit me that all that is left is the little cockpit inside and the two pilots and pretty the external model would be 98% complete the %2 being some minor details like "opening radome, cargo door, passenger door, antennaes and some other details, oh and ofcourse the initial test for the implementation of wing flex."

A little talk about wing flex, the DC8 wing does not really flex that much. According to my data, they flex about 2 degrees upwards on take off, trust me you need a strong attention to detail to be able to notice the wings flex that much so at this point, i'm debating if I should flex the wings or not but I'll leave that up to you guys, everyone wants wing flex so I may add it anyway, even tho it will barely be visible but atleast it will give some life to the wing I think?

The good news is, I have internet access at work, I'm writing this from work right now.. the bad news is, I can't upload or download files for obvious reasons but atleast I can communicate with you guys.

You guys have a good weekend, you will not see any updates from me at all from this point on, because I forgot to mention, my phone is disconnected so no net access there.

Later guys.

Raf.
 
Sorry to hear about your power dealings... No apology necessary, you do whacha gotta do, and we'll be patient and be happy with what you DO send us...

Get yer things where they need to be, and dont worry about us... The project looks great....

Good Luck
 
Back
Top