• Which the release of FS2020 we see an explosition of activity on the forun and of course we are very happy to see this. But having all questions about FS2020 in one forum becomes a bit messy. So therefore we would like to ask you all to use the following guidelines when posting your questions:

    • Tag FS2020 specific questions with the MSFS2020 tag.
    • Questions about making 3D assets can be posted in the 3D asset design forum. Either post them in the subforum of the modelling tool you use or in the general forum if they are general.
    • Questions about aircraft design can be posted in the Aircraft design forum
    • Questions about airport design can be posted in the FS2020 airport design forum. Once airport development tools have been updated for FS2020 you can post tool speciifc questions in the subforums of those tools as well of course.
    • Questions about terrain design can be posted in the FS2020 terrain design forum.
    • Questions about SimConnect can be posted in the SimConnect forum.

    Any other question that is not specific to an aspect of development or tool can be posted in the General chat forum.

    By following these guidelines we make sure that the forums remain easy to read for everybody and also that the right people can find your post to answer it.

my DC-8 Project

Would you like me too...


  • Total voters
    21
Don`t hurry !!! I know you put a lot of work into this project but hey, it is still a game and whenever there happens sth. in the private life that needs to be fixed - fixed it first .

Nothing is more important than that YOU are happy and have a good life ! We can wait, no matter if 1 month or 2 years .

Take your time and just come back when you feel like you can handle your life.

Take care and never give up hope.

Mick , Frankfurt / Germany.
 
Thanks guys, by the way, just finished the engines last night and started texture mapping them, got about half way done and made some correction.

My focus has been the wing and engines + flaps assembly.
 
Update!

This will be the final update before the power outage for me due April 4th. Then I have to get things sorted out my end before I can embark on this project again.

Major work done on the wings and engines...so here are some pics.

293ufsg.png

I am not sure yet how accurate the slots in the flaps are but I modeled the flaps as best as I could and if you look closely, you can see the some texture on the #2 engine!

35jcgfl.png

You can see all the work that I put into the #2 engine here, my goal is to get it fully completed before cloning it out. The inward and outward pylons have been modeled to accuracy, it turns out they are slightly different! Also, the nose gear tires were reduced in size, I got the actual tire sizes from Boeing documents and the tires are now accurate.

19a2hx.png

Here is a look at that engine texture I was talking about, it looks really nice. I have painted lots of aircraft but this is actually my first time painting rivets and lines, it may look good or bad, I don't know...I guess the HJG folks will improve on my work when the full textures are out but it looks pretty good I think.

14xgf3p.png

Out for a test flight, flaps at 15 degrees here I believe to get the overall look and feel for them, you can also note the rudder is a different color, why? I made some slight corrections here and there.

11axtes.png

Alright, last picture...this time I wanted you guys to have a look at the #2 engine pylon, do you guys see that line that streaks out from the pylon towards the rear wing edge? Hopefully you do and if you look at photographs, this is a feature that is really hard to notice in the DC8 wing but its there if you look for it, it is depicted here in my model.

The last thing I was working on was the cockpit that is visible from the external model, right now just a bunch of splines and looking good. However, it is very difficult because I do not know the layout of the DC8 cockpit. I have searched all over the place for photographs and have had no luck...I really don't know how far out to the rear the pedestal is or whats at the rear of the cockpit? a door, a closet? I am stumped and almost halted searching for answers.

If you guys can help out finding a document/photograph that shows a good layout of the cockpit and where everything is, it will be a big help, specially for the VC when I start developing it at some point.

Hope you guys liked the update and the pics, until next time.

Later folks.
 
Man - that's some fine looking model work... Wasn't Paul Golding (Dreamfleet) looking for someone to work with him on a new model to go with his project DC8 panel work ??? Hmmm - just say'n...
:)

Regards,
Scott
 
The other DC-8 project

What happened to the other project of user Michael2

?I think it was a DC-8-50 series. Would be nice to hear some news or if the project is still alive ?
 
thanks guys. my project is still alive, its just sleeping at the moment. as I have said, im working out some personal issues.

I believe Michael has some of his own as well.

Sent from my SCH-I500 using Tapatalk 2
 
Good luck to you! Sometimes life can be frustrating. But your project looks too good not to call it up again after a hopefully short depression.

Stay tuned!
 
My 50 series project is still alive and well, but let's say on vacation for a time. I am still in the process of moving house. The old house is now sold but the transfer date in not until July, so for the time being I have two yards to maintain. Renovations on the new house continue and with the weather getting better I am spending some of my still limited free time on photography and cycling.

I will resume work on the DC-8 pretty soon, but I expect progress will be slow over the summer. I live in Vancouver, Canada and it rains here for most of the year with the exception of July and August. I won't be spending those months hunched over a keyboard in the dark.

I also think it's good to take a break and then begin again with a fresh view of the project.
 
Last edited:
Just like to announce that the dc8 project will resume with updates again next week. Stay tuned!

Sent from my SCH-I500 using Tapatalk 2
 
Hey welcome back !!! A lot happened the time you were away...we at Lufthansa put our first 747-8 into service and now its flying FRA-IAD all the time .)) It is funny ..when we talk about a B748 we talk about one of the most modern aircraft in service. And here ... we are happy to wait for a DC-8 to fly around in a simulator...seems there are still a lot people that love to fly these old work horses with all their non computerized flight controls .)))

So nice to have you back here !
 
This is not an update with pictures sorry. Only to report, I spent the last couple of days figuring out what it is I was trying to do and finally everything is in order...as of now massive work on flaps and wing is what is coming.

I should be online with my PC next month via CLEAR WiMax4G which, is super fast and affordable, only $34.99 as oppossed to COMCAST $59.99 the only difference is WiMax4G is 6 mbps and COMCAST is 8 mbps but I should be fine with CLEAR internet.

If I have anything worth showing, ill upload through phone.

Thanks for tuning in guys, hopefully I can complete flaps so I can move on to other things.

Later.

Sent from my SCH-I500 using Tapatalk 2
 
I seem to have lost enthusiasm for flight sim so to rekindle it, I will be flying today from mdsd to kmia aboard an american airlines dc10-30 . im rusty so wish me luck, I will depart at 12:35 am and should land in miami intl. at.around 2 am...i know this will get me back into flight sim and back into the dc8 project. later guys.

Sent from my SCH-I500 using Tapatalk 2
 
well I just lost my airspeed indicator, failures are off, so this has me stumped, and anti-ice is turned on im about 400 nm away from miami intl. it is going to be.difficult landing without knowing IAS ... oh boy..

Sent from my SCH-I500 using Tapatalk 2
 
landed at precisely 2:30 am, ias came back during descent and it was a beautiful landing :-] alrighty.folks, feel a lot better now, lets get the ball rolling again on this dc8 its been a while!

Sent from my SCH-I500 using Tapatalk 2
 
Back
Top