• Which the release of FS2020 we see an explosition of activity on the forun and of course we are very happy to see this. But having all questions about FS2020 in one forum becomes a bit messy. So therefore we would like to ask you all to use the following guidelines when posting your questions:

    • Tag FS2020 specific questions with the MSFS2020 tag.
    • Questions about making 3D assets can be posted in the 3D asset design forum. Either post them in the subforum of the modelling tool you use or in the general forum if they are general.
    • Questions about aircraft design can be posted in the Aircraft design forum
    • Questions about airport design can be posted in the FS2020 airport design forum. Once airport development tools have been updated for FS2020 you can post tool speciifc questions in the subforums of those tools as well of course.
    • Questions about terrain design can be posted in the FS2020 terrain design forum.
    • Questions about SimConnect can be posted in the SimConnect forum.

    Any other question that is not specific to an aspect of development or tool can be posted in the General chat forum.

    By following these guidelines we make sure that the forums remain easy to read for everybody and also that the right people can find your post to answer it.

my DC-8 Project

Would you like me too...


  • Total voters
    21
Hi:

Ohh, Ohhh, I would like to "join" this excellent project, I created the 2D panel avionics in XML format (FS9/FSX), will be important challenge ...!

Regards...

Dannifly

Maybe HJG is hiring new talent? Post on the forums with a few samples of what you've done and they might consider.
 
Maybe HJG is hiring new talent? Post on the forums with a few samples of what you've done and they might consider.

Nothing published at the time, I amateur graphic designer and one year to discover structure of XML files in the simulator.
Several projects were not completed 3D modelers out of aircraft, we can arrange a test -an indicator of your choice- and I will, are some pictures ...

adicollins.jpg


fourindex.jpg


34818393.jpg


33200555.jpg



Tools I use:

Corel Draw
FS Panel Design
Edit xml
FS Repaint
 
That is amazing work!! As far as helping out with panel work, if you really want to make a highly realistic DC8 panel, you need to have the enthusiasm for that and maybe HJG will take you in. If you are really interested in taking part of this, talk to Tony he is the CEO of HJG.
 
Wow :eek: I just saw this project a few days ago and I am so happy (it also saved me a year of waiting lol). FINALLY a new DC-8 model!!!

I have a lot of picture taken in OST in 2008-2010 from the Air Charter Express planes (63F's). Flaps, gear, engines, inside the cockpit and the cargo bay etc. It's quite big, can I send them full size to you? PM me.
I also have a lot of video's of their planes on my youtube channel www.youtube.com/MKA742.

I really love your work, keep it up and take your time! I would like to see a model before an entire VC though... No point in waititng for it while there is a perfectly good model!!

What about a panel? Only HJG?

Awesome!

I have received your picture package and I must say the detail you have captured is absolutely amazing!! Your pictures of the panel will help tremendously when it comes time to model the virtual cockpit!

I have noticed one thing in the flap pictures and it is what I feared. There appears to be two flap designs for the DC8. I believe that from the DC8-10 up to the 60s the flap remains the same but some how with the DC8-70s series, they changed the flap mechanism a tad bit.

On older versions of the DC8,the flap hinges are exposed as shown in your pictures but on other flaps, this area is covered.

It would be interesting to get closer pictures of the 70F in this area because as it appears my model has a mix of the old and new flap config system or a hybrid you would say, that is what I feared and that is why I seem to be stalling at the top slat and hinge mechanism.
 
Hi:

Ohh, Ohhh, I would like to "join" this excellent project, I created the 2D panel avionics in XML format (FS9/FSX), will be important challenge ...!

Regards...

Dannifly

Dannifly, I got your PM but you may want to re-word that e-mail. I only suggested that you contact Tony if you are interested in joining HJG for your own ventures and to help out in your specific skill set but I must tell you now, I do not represent HJG officially in any way. I am a modeler and painter of their team but this doesn't entitle me to represent them. I do what I came on-board for, modeling and painting and the rest is up to them, that is one of the first rules I was advised to follow.

Hopefully, I've cleared up any confusion this may cause for both parties. :-]
 
Last edited:
I have received your picture package and I must say the detail you have captured is absolutely amazing!! Your pictures of the panel will help tremendously when it comes time to model the virtual cockpit!

I have noticed one thing in the flap pictures and it is what I feared. There appears to be two flap designs for the DC8. I believe that from the DC8-10 up to the 60s the flap remains the same but some how with the DC8-70s series, they changed the flap mechanism a tad bit.

On older versions of the DC8,the flap hinges are exposed as shown in your pictures but on other flaps, this area is covered.

It would be interesting to get closer pictures of the 70F in this area because as it appears my model has a mix of the old and new flap config system or a hybrid you would say, that is what I feared and that is why I seem to be stalling at the top slat and hinge mechanism.

I'm very glad that you will be able to use my pics :D

However I don't have any pics of the 70's series because they rarely visit here and, no offense, that model of the diesel 8 doesn't really interest me because it's not 'diesel' in my eyes :P Long live the noisy low by-pass JT3D!!

I can try to get some shots for you when the National -73 comes by here again. Last time it stood on the apron for 2 weeks so usually there is lots of time to take pics.

Furthermore I would love to help out myself but I barely have any knowledge of developing addons. I'm not good with photoshop, gmax or programming, shamefully. This fall I'm starting a programming course though and I'dd love to start gauge programming. Anyway, that's not for any time soon.

Keep us posted! I'm hoping for a lot of bad wheather where you live haha :mischievo ;)
 
Ok HJG have given me permission to arrange a DC8 development team. However, I believe you will not be allowed STAFF forum access, I don't think you guys need that anyway. You will however, get to test the DC8 model when exports are released and based on your feedback I will make corrections.

Drop me a PM if you are interested, you will be credited in your participation. I also need you to sign a disclaimer document.

1. gauge/xml developer [for the vc part]
2. texture artist [for initial texturing, you will improve on my textures]
3. picture taker/finder [you go out and take photos of the dc8 or find photos which may help me]

Just be aware that you will not be part of HJG howerver, if you join the HJG forums, I believe Tony Madge will put a "dc8 development team" tag on your username.

HJG can only do so much but their ultimate goal is to basically host the new DC8 along with all repaints.

If you believe you have a specific skill set which, maybe be valuable in development of the dc8, PM me, so now I am opening up a window of opportunity. If another gmax modeler wants to hop aboard, pm me, we may be able to work simultaneously to construct the VC for the DC8, of course, I make any corrections to your modeling if I am not happy with it.

The goal is to speed up development of this project. I won't be dissapointed as I've basically have alright brought the model to life, now it just needs more life and more input.

I would rather you guys email me mr.rafael.ps@gmail.com, because FSDeveloper has a cap of only 50 PMs just in case it gets flooded which, it has over the past few months.
 
Keep them coming people! In the mean time, I am currently working on the DC8 and other projects as well over the weekend. Know that the 1 month window was necessary to get things together, I don't want to jump into fast decisions and have panic and chaos running about it, so hope you understand.

In the mean time, enjoy your days...I am very busy today trying to give birth to another project which you guys will soon see in some videos. However, I will not talk about the project but you may see part of the tail or nose protruding from a hangar bay, so stay aware for that possibility on a next video. :-]
 
Sounds good! I hope it won't take too much attention away from the 'diesel 8' though, the community needs this model! ;)
 
Sounds good! I hope it won't take too much attention away from the 'diesel 8' though, the community needs this model! ;)

It was something to have ready after the DC8 project but I've found myself working on it and the DC8 project on separate occasions. I am going to call it the ghost project and only HJG folks know what it is but everyone will find out in due time, thought, I don't think folks will be too excited, it is however, another historic jetliner and it will be published by HJG.
 
Heart attack today!!

So I'm working on this new project and as I'm moving things around, I messed up my 3-views and deleted the gmax files of the new project to start over and align the 3-views better. However, when I emptied my recycle bin, along with it went the DC8 project, oh my god!!!

BUT THANKFULLY, I had a perfectly intact copy on my USB flash-drive with the recent work on the flaps done up until the last update here.

Let me tell you guys, that my heart never beat faster in my life. I could almost guarantee my blood pressure was 200/200 during that event. I couldn't possibly think of starting that project over again!

Just some advice to you folks, always have a back-up copy of your projects some where, on a cd-rom, dvd-rom or another back-up drive, you just don't know when your going to make stupid mistakes like I just did.

I can wipe the sweat of my face now. The first thing I thought was, oh my god, how am I going to explain this to HJG, I know you guys would have been disappointing as well but the DC8 project lives on! I'll be more careful next time!! USB flash drive saved the day, man that feels good! Proud of myself to have a back-up copy there!!!!
 
Just so everyone knows, the DC8 is taking a short break in development as I am preparing another project into life "the ghost project" I ask that everyone is patient as usual for updates. :-]

Also, keep the applications coming, getting a lot of great folks who want to participate. When I believe I have enough applicants I will start bringing people in but ultimately will close down applications by the announced date, so don't wait, you may also get to test the ghost project as well as that is the next HJG project after the completion of the DC8, I'm just trying to get the ball rolling on that one so that I have a good enough foundation to build up from.

Thanks guys.
 
Heart attack today!!

So I'm working on this new project and as I'm moving things around, I messed up my 3-views and deleted the gmax files of the new project to start over and align the 3-views better. However, when I emptied my recycle bin, along with it went the DC8 project, oh my god!!!

BUT THANKFULLY, I had a perfectly intact copy on my USB flash-drive with the recent work on the flaps done up until the last update here.

Let me tell you guys, that my heart never beat faster in my life. I could almost guarantee my blood pressure was 200/200 during that event. I couldn't possibly think of starting that project over again!

Just some advice to you folks, always have a back-up copy of your projects some where, on a cd-rom, dvd-rom or another back-up drive, you just don't know when your going to make stupid mistakes like I just did.

I can wipe the sweat of my face now. The first thing I thought was, oh my god, how am I going to explain this to HJG, I know you guys would have been disappointing as well but the DC8 project lives on! I'll be more careful next time!! USB flash drive saved the day, man that feels good! Proud of myself to have a back-up copy there!!!!

Ohhh .... immaculate pendrive!
 
Just so everyone knows, the DC8 is taking a short break in development as I am preparing another project into life "the ghost project" I ask that everyone is patient as usual for updates. :-]

Snif... :( That's what I was afraid of. Oh well, when you wait 5 years you can wait another 5 i guess :P

SO GLAD U DIDNT DELETE THE PROJECT!!!! :D
 
It's not a long break, I will eventually resume updates, just want to have the tu-154 looking pretty good before I get back on this.

Here is how the DC8 project currently looks...

107uvet.png


Just wanted to post this screenshot showing the mesh work. The DC8 is mostly just really undergoing corrections/refinements
during this flap development stage, I do work on it from time to time.
 
Last edited:
How did you get the wing root to snugly fit the fuselage? I'm trying and I can't get the splines to line up right! :banghead: It looks so nice and smooth where it meets the fuselage but even when mine is made of splines, it's smooth everywhere but the fuselage junction. It looks like it's made of bricks. :( HOW DID YOU DO IT? This is the hardest part of my entire CRJ! :eek:
 
Back
Top