• Which the release of FS2020 we see an explosition of activity on the forun and of course we are very happy to see this. But having all questions about FS2020 in one forum becomes a bit messy. So therefore we would like to ask you all to use the following guidelines when posting your questions:

    • Tag FS2020 specific questions with the MSFS2020 tag.
    • Questions about making 3D assets can be posted in the 3D asset design forum. Either post them in the subforum of the modelling tool you use or in the general forum if they are general.
    • Questions about aircraft design can be posted in the Aircraft design forum
    • Questions about airport design can be posted in the FS2020 airport design forum. Once airport development tools have been updated for FS2020 you can post tool speciifc questions in the subforums of those tools as well of course.
    • Questions about terrain design can be posted in the FS2020 terrain design forum.
    • Questions about SimConnect can be posted in the SimConnect forum.

    Any other question that is not specific to an aspect of development or tool can be posted in the General chat forum.

    By following these guidelines we make sure that the forums remain easy to read for everybody and also that the right people can find your post to answer it.

my DC-8 Project

Would you like me too...


  • Total voters
    21
This thing is REALLY looking nice...

The edged faces views make me all warm and fuzzy.... :p

(ooo, look, a can of spam... :spam: )
 
The engines have just been fully textured and made operational!

Here is a latest picture...

ml01gi.png


Exported on 8/30/2012 for flight testing and released to HJG/DC8 DESIGN TEAM for further texture mapping of the engines. We should have really good looking textures soon!

Keep tuned!

Most of the updates have gone into the DC8 TECHNICAL BOARD over at HJG but every time we have something worth showing, I will post information here as well, lots of stuff going on for the DC8 I can say. :)
 
How the heck do you make the landing gear? I've never seen such a complex mechanism in Gmax! :eek: They look outstanding! I need to make some gear for my CRJ now so should I use splines or primitives for the little details on the struts? I still can't help gawking. :eek: :eek: :eek:

:spam: Spam. Disgusting. :p
 
Those gears took a llloonnngggg time to do, I believe well over a month of work. Just take your time with them, have good reference material and you'll get nice looking results. I didn't use any splines on the gear development, it is mostly cylinders, shaped the right way.
 
Update!

We had been very busy with the DC8. I did a lot of texture mapping and basically got the engines in working order but still much work left to do with this bird.

Here is a preview of Eduardo's painting of the engines using the paint kit.

29vxe2c.png


Some close ups...

2hpu4wo.png


2al0fb.png


I know there is much bit of improvement with this...

I did not ask him why he textured only a bare metal version. I know the edge nacelles are missing the rivets, perhaps he was not aware of this but I can correct that easily :-]

The inner reverse thrust texture has not been painted yet.

We also determined that the front of the wing root section was a bit inaccurate, as well as the wing attack chord and the shape of the leading edge, so all that will be the work that will happen next to correct these parts.

I hate to remodel it but hey, if it is wrong, we have to fix it!

Leave your replys and feedback on the textures.

I know the engines are missing a little inlet at the bottom, that will be added later.

I will not be working on this bird for a while as I'm working on another project but soon enough my attention will return to this project again.

Thanks for reading all.

PS: Yes those are individual blades on each engine, you can sort of tell because you can see through the back in the second picture and
unpainted area with some blue stuff showing. I also believe the gloss factor is too high on the material :oX

--Raf.
 
Last edited:
The inlets look a bit whack, i.e. too thin at the sides.

Then again, maybe it's more of a feature of the real thing than a bug.
 
Engine intakes and wheels are main foci of interest and when looked at in close-up shots tend to highlight the sectioning of the underlying cylinders. Unless prohibited by poly count this can only be cured by increasing the number of sections. Looking at some of the mesh screenies it seems you have something like 20 sides for wheels and engines?
 
Last edited by a moderator:
Engine intakes and wheels are main foci of interest and when looked at in close-up shots tend to highlight the sectioning of the underlying cylinders. Unless prohibited by poly count this can only be cured by increasing the number of sections. Looking at some of the mesh screenies it seems you have something like 20 sides for wheels and engines?

22 sides that is also not the only way...it seems this particular part is exhibiting abnormal smoothing. I may have forgotten to smooth it out.

I do agree that the engines look a bit fuzzy.

The wheels I am not sure but I could bump up the polys a bit.

Hopefully nobody complains later and says err this model hurts my frame rates.
 
Hopefully nobody complains later and says err this model hurts my frame rates.

Don't worry, trust me. Polygons do not really impact FPS-performance untill you get into millions of polys, but the FS9 exporter doesn't allow you to go over 65000 polygons anyway. I think a good amount for the engine is to go 32-sided at least to make it smooth looking.
 
Well you really can't satisfy everyone in the FS world. My aim was to keep poly count down so that we can implement more into the VC as you know, there is always some sort of trade off.

Back to square 1 with the engines then, they'll need to be completely overhauled and re-mapped.

I increased the polycount around the nacelle edge and sure enough...

95zml3.png


You can see the great difference; on the left the original and on the right with poly count increased to a considerable amount.

Will not do any texture mapping now till the external model is fully completed now.

But hey, like I said, you can't really satisfy anyone....I will always expect to be told; the wings too small, the wings are too large, the nose is wrong, the gear is wrong, the tail is wrong, etc...etc.

A pitty for the engines as they were already textured mapped which took several hours but hey, if it looks wrong we've got to fix it but in the end, one has to be realistic, not everything will be perfect.
 
Gotta say it does look alot better now!

Thanks, but the whole nacelle has to be redone, don't think its much of a big deal but it does look a lot better. I don't know why I didn't go 32 sided with this but then again, I didn't use a cylinder, I started the whole thing out in splines.
 
Thats-a more like it, well done. Now do the wheels as well...

Say, is this for FS9 only? Upside: no need to worry about the 65k limit, "Unlimited Export" is your magic keyword in this very forum here. You can even do your VC and wingviews as a separate gmax file.

On the other hand it'd be a shame not to use the superior material options of FSX.
 
Thats-a more like it, well done. Now do the wheels as well...

Say, is this for FS9 only? Upside: no need to worry about the 65k limit, "Unlimited Export" is your magic keyword in this very forum here. You can even do your VC and wingviews as a separate gmax file.

On the other hand it'd be a shame not to use the superior material options of FSX.

Tires later, all in do time. And as much as that unlimited export is a motivational drag......it is troublesome. FS9 and FSX!
 
Good to see you are back at work on this again Rafael. I resumed work on "the other DC8" last night. I had almost forgotten how to use GMAX -- it took a while for it to all start coming back to me.

I am setting up the rotation (for trim) of the horizontal stabilizer and am wondering if you were able to find out how the axis of rotation should be set? I have one document that shows the "pivot axis" in plan view as perpendicular to the aircraft's longitudinal axis, but I am not sure how it should be oriented in section view. Should it be horizontal, or follow the dihedral of stabilizer, i.e. be canted up 10 degrees?
 
Good to see you are back at work on this again Rafael. I resumed work on "the other DC8" last night. I had almost forgotten how to use GMAX -- it took a while for it to all start coming back to me.

I am setting up the rotation (for trim) of the horizontal stabilizer and am wondering if you were able to find out how the axis of rotation should be set? I have one document that shows the "pivot axis" in plan view as perpendicular to the aircraft's longitudinal axis, but I am not sure how it should be oriented in section view. Should it be horizontal, or follow the dihedral of stabilizer, i.e. be canted up 10 degrees?

4okqx.png


* The trimtab axis orientation stays perpendicular to the angle of the fuselage as it rotates on the fuselage side, hopefully the picture makes sense to you.

Glad to see you are back Michael.
 
Back
Top